The war of the worlds: W5000 v. HD650 v. SA5000
Jun 15, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #256 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
I am not saying the W5000 now sound better than any other headphone on the market, and I think I am not "gloating".
confused.gif
I am writing about my experience that the W5000 have a coloration that can be much improved, just as the HD650 have a veil that can be dealt with, in both instances by proper amplification.

Wow, I'm not earning points with you am I? - this is the second thread I've offended. I need to work on my tact.

I do want to hear the positives, but would like to hear the negatives more. In light of all I've read, this is a great phone, but when it comes to purchasing for myself I want to know what I might NOT like about it. Because when I get it - it's too late unless someone offers a money back trial.

I think all phones that are compared should have equal treatment. Please refer to my earlier post on this thread about the HD650 where any lack in sound quality was blamed on everything but the headphone.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #257 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I do want to hear the positives, but would like to hear the negatives more.

The biggest negative I have found in the W5000 is that the darn thing keeps me up till very late at night, so I don't feel like waking up for work the next day
orphsmile.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #258 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
The biggest negative I have found in the W5000 is that the darn thing keeps me up till very late at night, so I don't feel like waking up for work the next day
orphsmile.gif

Oh great - that's not helping my wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #259 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Oh great - that's not helping my wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mine either.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #260 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
orphsmile.gif

And you know the only way to remedy that is to get one for in the office.....
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #261 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
And you know the only way to remedy that is to get one for in the office.....
icon10.gif

Actually I do bring my W5000 back and forth to my office every day (I know I am going to get it all scratched very soon). Also it is the only can with good enough isolation to use it at work.
Probably I should get a second one sooner or later

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #262 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
i can concur with the hd650 paint flaking but i even handle my hd650 with extreme care but no headphone hanger, and they still flake.

Vic, when will you receive your balanced hd650 cable?
has anyone had a balanced w5000?

Brian, my cable has been shipped in the States last Monday, it should arrive any day now. The previous one was apparently lost by the USPS.
I have not heard of anybody recabling the W5000; it would be indeed very interesting to know

Jun 17, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #265 of 297
Quote:

I see you losing a lot of sleep the next few days Vic...
orphsmile.gif

The cables arrived last night. I have given a try and am very satisfied, but will let them cook for a few days before serious impressions.
I think the wise thing now would be to take a couple of weeks off work
orphsmile.gif

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #266 of 297
we are talking about the hd650 balanced directly out of the opus correct?

any more early impressions Vic?

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #267 of 297
Quote:

we are talking about the hd650 balanced directly out of the opus correct?

any more early impressions Vic?

Yes, I am also very interested in getting some impressions on this setup (great thread BTW).

Jun 19, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #269 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Just an FYI for readers of this thread, I have acquired a balanced Gilmore Reference amp, and will be balancing my W5000, so you can look forward to impressions of one of the first balanced W5k's.

That's great! Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #270 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Just an FYI for readers of this thread, I have acquired a balanced Gilmore Reference amp, and will be balancing my W5000, so you can look forward to impressions of one of the first balanced W5k's.

someone's letting the cows out of the gate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back