The usual TRIO...
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tropicana

100+ Head-Fier
I have been an audiophile for 5 years now. Earlier this year, I have decided to move from speakers to headphones due to space constraint.

Being new to the headphones. I have decided to try the three common types, close, open and planar (maybe someday I will dabble into electrostatic). I noticed that most members here would have at least one of each in their collection.

Hence, would like to hear your opinion on which (of each type) is your favourite and how you enjoy them.

Here's where I stand:
I listen to 80% jazz, 10% classical, 10% vocals.
My collection is 60% vinyl, 40% flac.

OPEN - Settled for the HD800. This is my reference headphone which I use mainly for classical/ jazz (flac).  Occasionally, I use them for vocals (flac). It brings out the realism in the recording but could sound overly bright at times.  Also, I prefer vocals on the LCD2.  Never bother with them on vinyl.

CLOSE - Currently have the ESW9, W1000X to be delivered soon.  I generally use them with bassier tracks. I'm not entirely sure if I will be happy with the W1000X.  But from what I heard during the audition, the W1000X is more forward sounding compared to HD800 & LCD2 which is a good change. I hope it can be the "fun" headphone in my trio.  Looking forward to some bass thump!  

PLANAR - Auditioned Hifiman but chose to go with the LCD2 (bamboo) since I had the opportunity to do a home audition.  This is the headphone that I reach for most of the time.  I find them enjoyable on all genres, flac or vinyl.  The LCD2 frequency response compliments vinyl especially well.  Vinyl tend to be bright and bass light but together, they sound IMO balanced.    They are indeed "eze"...

And to drive them all, I have the WA6SE.  One of the more powerful tube amps out there.
Works well with all my headphones.  Yet to know for the W1000X.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I have been an audiophile for 5 years now. Earlier this year, I have decided to move from speakers to headphones due to space constraint.

Being new to the headphones. I have decided to try the three common types, close, open and planar (maybe someday I will dabble into electrostatic). I noticed that most members here would have at least one of each in their collection.

Hence, would like to hear your opinion on which (of each type) is your favourite and how you enjoy them.

Here's where I stand:
I listen to 80% jazz, 10% classical, 10% vocals.
My collection is 60% vinyl, 40% flac.

OPEN - Settled for the HD800. This is my reference headphone which I use mainly for classical/ jazz (flac).  Occasionally, I use them for vocals (flac). It brings out the realism in the recording but could sound overly bright at times.  Also, I prefer vocals on the LCD2.  Never bother with them on vinyl.

CLOSE - Currently have the ESW9, W1000X to be delivered soon.  I generally use them with bassier tracks. I'm not entirely sure if I will be happy with the W1000X.  But from what I heard during the audition, the W1000X is more forward sounding compared to HD800 & LCD2 which is a good change. I hope it can be the "fun" headphone in my trio.  Looking forward to some bass thump!  

PLANAR - Auditioned Hifiman but chose to go with the LCD2 (bamboo) since I had the opportunity to do a home audition.  This is the headphone that I reach for most of the time.  I find them enjoyable on all genres, flac or vinyl.  The LCD2 frequency response compliments vinyl especially well.  Vinyl tend to be bright and bass light but together, they sound IMO balanced.    They are indeed "eze"...

And to drive them all, I have the WA6SE.  One of the more powerful tube amps out there.
Works well with all my headphones.  Yet to know for the W1000X.

You would be better served by posting this in the Summit-Fi section of forum.  Your asking about $1,000 and higher cans.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Heya,

Listening to Vinyl with headphones is a lot more difficult than listening to digital music and simply CD's and equivalents. I tried going vinyl for a while, but you really have to invest in a good turn table and a quality needle. Otherwise, you just hear a bunch of noise and clicks and pops and it's really distracting. Listening to some of my favorite stuff on vinyl through my HE_500's was great, but listening to the pops from the needle just made it irritating compared to digital, but that was my fault for playing with an entry level junk turntable with entry level junk needles. I've heard good systems, and they're dead silent unless the vinyl itself is warped or messed up. Then again some people love the pops of needles moving around and stuff, mostly nostalgia I guess.

Open - HE-500 is still my choice for open air. It just does everything right.

Closed - I'm more of a closed headphone guy as it is, I just prefer some isolation so I can listen at lower volumes for longer sessions and retain a good sounding response. A lot of open air headphones at low volume start sounding hallow, bassless. I've actually gone backwards in hifi when it comes to closed headphones. These days I go after my DT770 600ohm or Denon D5000.

End of the day though I'm more of a speaker guy. Headphones are for when speakers are not friendly to others.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back