The Use of the Word P**n to describe pics of gear...
Aug 22, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #61 of 85
Sovkiller, think of tv access. Say...at a gym, or in a mall. They are places of work yet the cable access is provided. Just because one can tune into say an R rated movie, nudity or not, is that appropriate for that type of environment? No. Does this mean the employer can't treat their employees with the perk of tv? No. But it does mean they have the responsibility and right to judge what is going to be viewed and what is not going to be viewed. This is analogous to the net and surfing.

I have worked at enough spots in the US to know that the norm is not restricted use of the Net. Many of my friends are able to surf on their downtime . I could list 50 Blue Chips that permit this. No reason to think that the rest of the US is not similar. Again, tv and the net are often there to be used but not abused, the abuse standard is set by the employer/owner. Here the owner is Jude and Jude wants this place to be readily accessible to the widest audience possible. In the TOS it states that language should be used appropriately and in English. It is not really an issue more of a reminder to what folks agreed to.

Aug 22, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Sovkiller, think of tv access. Say...at a gym, or in a mall. They are places of work yet the cable access is provided. Just because one can tune into say an R rated movie, nudity or not, is that appropriate for that type of environment? No. Does this mean the employer can't treat their employees with the perk of tv? No. But it does mean they have the responsibility and right to judge what is going to be viewed and what is not going to be viewed. This is analogous to the net and surfing.

I have worked at enough spots in the US to know that the norm is not restricted use of the Net. Many of my friends are able to surf on their downtime . I could list 50 Blue Chips that permit this. No reason to think that the rest of the US is not similar. Again, tv and the net are often there to be used but not abused, the abuse standard is set by the employer/owner. Here the owner is Jude and Jude wants this place to be readily accessible to the widest audience possible. In the TOS it states that language should be used appropriately and in English. It is not really an issue more of a reminder to what folks agreed to.

OK, sorry Zanth but I was not aware that, this kind of use, is allowed in US or Canada, that was not my experience, at all, and in the ones I have worked, zero tolerance.....LOL....shame on them!!!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
then.....I would like to work with you, in one of those enviroments that I could use it as I wish.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #63 of 85
I thought it was OK to use the p*** word if it was misspelled (as with a zero or some letters reversed) in order to bypass the filters? I just thought it was a kind of funny slang for cover's off photos and never give it any more thought.

Aug 22, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #64 of 85
Shame at people on work, for not being clever enough to find another proxy without anal restrictions, or people in schools who cannot do the same (if they are subjected to it).

Honsetly though, rather silly, yet i understand why you guys doing like cursing.

Of all the words used in our typical language everyday, like a 100 years ago would be considered a swear. Everyday a no one trickles down from "Bad" and becomes accepted terminology. Well, i never used that word, to describe that "thing", so i'll remember not to use it, even though i don't. : )

Aug 22, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #65 of 85
How about a special inoffensive codeword in place of the offending word, one which we don't use normally here so that it's not mistaken for anything else?

Like: "Oprah"

Aug 22, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
How about a special inoffensive codeword in place of the offending word, one which we don't use normally here so that it's not mistaken for anything else?

Like: "Oprah"

"Bangra" has a better ring to it
biggrin.gif
"Pink" would be a bit "obvious"........... "pink and moist" would set alarm bells ringing........... hows about "under the bonnet pics"?

Aug 22, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Just occured to me that Head-Fi'd probably be sued.

I guess we could invent a word... geekfapfap?

"Bangraflap" woooohooo
biggrin.gif
"Japs eye view"
eek.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #70 of 85
I'm sure someone will coin some interesting term that will easily bypass the filters while indicating the insides of the gear. I believe this will be far more interesting than using an established term. I personally love the Head-fi motto, and it is not copied, but coined by a member and used as the de facto greeting. I hope the same for our electrical component terminology.

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #71 of 85
Darn. I was really starting to like "****".
smily_headphones1.gif

We gotta come up with some other suitable, uncomplicated word to describe it, something Head-Fi-ey. Maybe we could make up our own words from a combination of words?

pic-Fi?

H0rn (Headphone-****) lol

Something bogus like that, that would be silly, simple, and easy to remember.

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #72 of 85
"guts" is fine by me in referring to taking pics of the internals.

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #73 of 85
It's just a word. Who cares?

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #74 of 85
Someone else mentioned this above...how about a forum specifically for people sharing pics of their rigs? We could also share url's of sites that allow free picture uploads and the sort. This should work well. As for the pr0n thing, i dunno. I can't see how pr0n gets caught by a filter.

Aug 23, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #75 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Someone else mentioned this above...how about a forum specifically for people sharing pics of their rigs? We could also share url's of sites that allow free picture uploads and the sort. This should work well. As for the pr0n thing, i dunno. I can't see how pr0n gets caught by a filter.

It is easy. The software designers anticipated clever people out there using variations of the word they are looking for. This results in some mistakes but they have the attitude that better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back