The Use of the Word P**n to describe pics of gear...
Aug 23, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #76 of 85
So I guess Sovkiller racked up 5,000+ posts in two years time posting only at home.

During my down time at work I'm allowed to surf the net,talk on the phone,have vistors etc. but I cannot leave the building. So,the liberties I'm allowed balance,I guess.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #77 of 85
I get really pissed off when people use pr0n and stuff like that when asking for pictures. First, it could get you logged in the company webserver (who knows) or it could filter the whole site. The word might have been designed to bypass them originally but guess what, it was probably added to most filters within months of its first use. Second, even if there were no filters, the word is just stupid, really stupid. If you feel like you want to say the real world, then be a man (or woman) and say it. If you want to talk in l33t sp33k or whatever it's called, go somewhere else - this site is in english only; if french or spanish aren't allowed, neither is l33t. Otherwise it's neither cute or appropriate. God knows I frown even upon mentioning of the "politically correct" speech, but there's difference between censorship and inappropriate or tasteless uses of a word. As appealing to people is useless, perhaps it is up to jude to make rules and moderators to enforce it. For example, don't censor the member's lounge forum for language, but censor the headphone reviews, source, cables etc. I can't think of a many reasons why you'd use a 4-letter word in those forums (hm, perhaps open it up for the feedback forums
wink.gif
) but the point is, people should know in advance if it's "safe" to enter. So those in Big Brother offices should be able to look up that headphone review so that they can order a new headphone at work, while they can join the fray with full scope of the language at home in the other forums. Kind of like it was done with off topic forums.

I'm glad this thread was started. I was thinking about it a lot myself, though as I mentioned primarily for the "eeewww" reason.

Aug 23, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #78 of 85
Sadly aos, as I and a few other guys have been saying, it will be very difficult to police the words used on this site by our thousands of members. Remember that 'p*rn' isn't the only filter-prone word used around this place. Auto-word correction software is the only way to go.

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #79 of 85
Yeah, I've read most of the posts only after posting mine - I wanted to say what I wanted for months without risking getting caught in whatever the discussion turned into. Automation is the way I guess. At any rate, I just find that one particular word, at best juvenile (not the original word, the 0 variety). It really irritates me for some reason. I just had a really strong opinion - wouldn't have posted otherwise.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #81 of 85
Trying to evade net filters is like walking in a mine field, sooner or later your going to hit one. If the p-word (geez, can't even mention it now) gets Head-Fi filtered then almost all news sites that have tech-related news would be filtered since a lot of tech articles regarding the internet happen to mention something about p-word sites. Automated word filtering seems like a nice idea until you realize that they are dumb filters that have no concept of context.

I sympathize with those that can't access Head-Fi due to a boneheaded filter but you are likely using a resource that doesn't entirely belong to you in the first place so are subject to restrictions placed upon your use of that resource, whether that be only the internet access you are using (for students at colleges) or the computer as well (at work). If you are in your own private residence and are paying for your internet connection there then you can expect unfiltered access to web content. At work, even in my downtime there, I do not expect that they provide me unhindered access to any web site I wish to visit, I am using the resources they paid for and the fact that I can visit non work-related sites there is merely a bonus.

Aug 23, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #82 of 85
Hey cool, Jude finally got that cool vB software that replaces a word with something else (in this cae, stars). Now we can say **** all we want and it won't get filtered, and everyone will still know what we're talking about!

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #83 of 85
ah ****

Users who are viewing this thread

Back