The Use of the Word P**n to describe pics of gear...
Aug 22, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
fetish will get this site filtered out.

What? No! I and my fellow shamans are truly offended by this. In the next midnight meeting we will release all sorts of curses on the filterers with our fetishes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by quke
I don't know which is sader that the schools and offices need such filters or that they are actually implemented.

Also are they really on so low level as to filter web pages by single words? That's like China's Internet censorship.

Amp fetishism?
smily_headphones1.gif

I wasn't able to read one of the threads at work because someone wrote "necrophilia" (I think it was a thread about bags for the SR-71). The filter is unnecessarily strict if you ask me.

Aug 22, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #22 of 85
Well if the discussions in the amp and headphone forums don't get this site blocked you self proclaimed "comedians" surely have accomplished it here. I cannot for the life of me understand the self serving attitude displayed in this thread. The fact is many work places, government facilities, schools and parents have placed filters which prohibit access to this site. For a moment think a little less about yourself for a change and have some consideration for others.

You can spout off all you want about censorship and the like but it does not change a thing, the site is being blocked. GSFerrari's suggestion is the best that I have heard.

Aug 22, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 85
This is the wish of the people that run the site. Ground rules as it were. Please abide by them. It would seem the respectful thing to do.

I believe it’s in an effort to get the most exposure possible. Whether you disapprove of content blocking at schools or work is irrelevant to the request. Content blocking is just a fact of life.

We will all benefit from more people coming and contributing to the site.

Mitch

Aug 22, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 85
Ditto Brailledriver

Really people, put aside your senses of humor for a few minutes. We all deserve the ability to feed our headphone addiction from places other than home, so let's all agree to stop using a few words of jargon and just put it plainly
"guts of amp"
"inside of amp"
etc

Thanks Zanth for bringing this to our attention. While I'm not a fan of excessive censorship, I would be fine if the filters took that word out of circulation.

Aug 22, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by quke
I don't know which is sader that the schools and offices need such filters or that they are actually implemented.

Also are they really on so low level as to filter web pages by single words? That's like China's Internet censorship.

I think that it is perfectly valid that schools should use filters on all incoming web sites. My school goes from grade 5 to grade 12, and all of those students have access to the computers. There are many things that are ok for an 18 year old student to see that aren't acceptable for a 10 year old student to see.

And yes, the filter that they use on my school is fast and efficient. Like i said, it loads each page of a site, and scans the wordlist of that page for blacklisted words. If there are more than, say 3, the site gets blocked. Its not a huge encumberance as i can still browse these forums, just every once and a while a page won't load cause its been blocked.

The filters get even more irritating than that, they block out webpages that are actually valid research material. In english, we study the novel A Color Purple, my english teacher found her research attempts blocked because of some scant lesbian content in the books, and hence blacklisted words on the web-sites. Its too bad.

Aug 22, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #26 of 85
Why not make a sub-forum specifically for displaying pics (headphone, amp, source, cable), so people can just label the type of the amp (or whatever) it is instead of saying **** (or pr0n is some cases)?

My old high school (which I despise with all my heart), blocked out nearly everything. Head-fi, art sites, game and anime sites (I never thought pokemon was that offensive
tongue.gif
) etc. My art teacher was peeved because he couldn't go to any art websites online. And some of the filter words that the comps used were insane.

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 85
Odd thing is that this is the only forum i visit where it is considered "PG" in terms of language. On many other forums i visit people use all kind of language and i've never read a complaint about that site being blocked at uni's and the like. Hmm. Well, i don't see how pr0n blocks head-fi, it's misspelled and it has a 0 in it. At the company i work at they have filters for language and the like and i can visit head-fi without a problem.

Zanth, how often do mods receive complaints from members that they cannot visit head-fi?

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Well if the discussions in the amp and headphone forums don't get this site blocked you self proclaimed "comedians" surely have accomplished it here. I cannot for the life of me understand the self serving attitude displayed in this thread. The fact is many work places, government facilities, schools and parents have placed filters which prohibit access to this site. For a moment think a little less about yourself for a change and have some consideration for others.

You can spout off all you want about censorship and the like but it does not change a thing, the site is being blocked. GSFerrari's suggestion is the best that I have heard.

Sorry about that. I didn't plan to turn this entire thread in to a laughing stock. I didn't realise the need to solve this problem was so urgent. Seriously though, I thought 'Amplifious P*rnous' or whatever component p*ornous seemed to fit fine with the 'Headphoneus Supremus' title. Would p*ornous get filtered out? I didn't think so. Anyway, sorry again.

Perhaps 'Component Anatomy', 'Raw Metal/Plastic' or 'Innies & Outies' would be a safer choice.

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
Perhaps 'Component Anatomy', 'Raw Metal/Plastic' or 'Innies & Outies' would be a safer choice.

Or maybe just "pics."

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Or maybe just "pics."

Naw. That just a bit conventional which was why people started using 'p*rn' instead of pics in the first place! But hey, whatever gets the job done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back