The Upgrade Bug - What Next?
Aug 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dreshx

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

First off, I want to thank all of you  for providing so much valuable information through-out these threads.  This is my first post but I have done a ton reading and I would like to think the advice given by fellow head-fiers here has saved me some money and some disappointment.  

I wasn't sure where this question fit since it covered so many components (headphones, amp, source) so I stuck it here.

So here's my question: My primary listening source is MOG via my pc through a Asus Xonar DS sound card.  My current headphones are a pair of Shure SRH440s (and a pair of Alessandro MS-1s are on the way, thanks to a resident high-fier.)  Looking and my current set-up, is there a "weak link" in my listening experience or is there something I can possibly add that would significantly improve the quality of the audio?

Unfortunately I don't have the money to throw at a lot of high-end gear but I am willing to save for something of value if it greatly enhances the listening experience.

What would be your next step be in the quest for great audio?  My musical tastes are really broad but I mostly listen to rock (hard, alternative, classic), acoustic, and indie stuff.

Again thanks for all the help!

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 21
Hmm, that's a pretty good set-up you've got there already as the Xonar DS is a very decent soundcard and the SRH440 is excellent.  If anything is to be changed or upgraded, then perhaps you could look through your music files to make sure you have quality files as in high bitrate files or lossless files.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 21
Which software for music playing are you using? you can also try foobar. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 21
So far I have used MOG for their streaming service and WMP for my audio files.  I'll definitely take a look at foobar. I made the mistake early on of ripping my CDs in low-quality (128kbps) so now I need to go back through my library and rip them in either WMA lossless or .WAV.  

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 21
I think your setup is very good right now. Just make sure that (at least) 50% of your music is in 320kbps and they next step IMO would be a headphone amp. Maybe a Schiit amp? Either tube or SS, whatever you have a taste for.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
I think your setup is very good right now. Just make sure that (at least) 50% of your music is in 320kbps and they next step IMO would be a headphone amp. Maybe a Schiit amp? Either tube or SS, whatever you have a taste for.

I'm digging the aesthetics on the Valhalla.  Simple but pretty slick.  Definitely something I am going to seriously consider. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
I'm digging the aesthetics on the Valhalla.  Simple but pretty slick.  Definitely something I am going to seriously consider. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Their very good beginner amps as ive heard. Get them used for $300 or so, good deal since others go for double that.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 21
I would wait with buying an amp if I were you. After you have fixed the quality of your audio files I'd suggest getting a better headphone.
Not to offend the poor SRH 440's, but I don't think getting a good amp to pair would increase their sound quality by much. Especially since you already have a fairly decent source.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
I would wait with buying an amp if I were you. After you have fixed the quality of your audio files I'd suggest getting a better headphone.
Not to offend the poor SRH 440's, but I don't think getting a good amp to pair would increase their sound quality by much. Especially since you already have a fairly decent source.

He's going to have MS-1's which will sound great with tubes!?

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your question.

The MS-1's will be fine as far as headphones go. After he gets situated, he can sell his Shure's and if he wants the MS-1's and get some Beyers or Denon's and they will work fine with the amp. No reason to get new headphones when he has a new pair coming. When you have high efficient headphones you need a headphones amp. For example you dont have HD650's and some crappy $2 amp that cant run the headphones properly.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm sorry, I probably misread and didn't see that he has MS-1's on the way.

Yeah in that case, definitely get an amp. Headphones will always make the biggest difference, but having an amp above directly running out of a sound card is significant improvement as well.
Also a good amp can be seen as a lifetime investment. You can still upgrade headphones in the future, but once you get a decent amp it's not extremely important to get a better one. The difference between amps will only be marginal.

Any help as to what you're budget is?

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 21
I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on one of the "sub $100" offerings (i.e. Jlabs cmoy, FiiO11) but it sounds like I would be better served to wait and get something that will serve me well for the long run.  Thanks for the advice guys!

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on one of the "sub $100" offerings (i.e. Jlabs cmoy, FiiO11) but it sounds like I would be better served to wait and get something that will serve me well for the long run.  Thanks for the advice guys!

Id personally just hold off for a solid amp that you'll have for a few years and not a cheap amp that you'll want to sell/switch out in 6 months or a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back