The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
May 3, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #706 of 1,222
This is probably the wrong thread, but this transport has me thinking about what I've been waiting for. I have been holding out for a while waiting for a standalone DAP that has a very large storage capacity, power to drive hungry cans, sound quality and battery life. Honestly, on the go user removeable batteries really work for me if the battery life is generally short. We are on the cusp of seeing something like this. It just seems like with stacking, we are just feeding more money to the industry. While many will say there is a DaP that does it all for them, it is obvious that there isn't really a universal, great sounding, and affordable option yet (with a ton of storage). Once that happens I think the whole industry will change, and I feel that it is possible, but nobody seems to be able or willing to try to do it yet. To me, this transport idea is great and I welcome it, but it feels like a bandaid.

I think double- and even triple stacking -- mechanically, visibly customizing your sound with these little black and silver boxes made by different people with great care and love -- is the coolest part about head fi today. It's what keeps the industry fun. All these moving parts stoke the spirit of ingenuity. It has brought so many different small manufacturers under one roof. I hope Astell & Kern or god damn Apple never figure out how to put a Chord PFGA and Vorzuge circuitry into a single device. I hope Chord never sells their tech and ALO audio never becomes a subsidiary of this and that. FiiO has benefitted tremendously from this out of joints industry. They wouldn't be here if there would be two giants fighting it out in physical stores. The global economy is in the dumps, the Internet is owned by two or three monopolies. The head fi world is a small pond of nice warm entrepreneurial soup where Chinese design upstarts profit from Latvian cable manufacturers. It is both honorable and smart of FiiO to consider this product. It reinforces the branch they're sitting on. 

I do think this thread is the right place for a conversation like this. I have a Chord DAC and a Vorzuge amp and I really just want something from FiiO in the mix too, because I started out with these guys. They have character, I want that character in my audio chain. Also, they just figured out how to do interfaces with the X7, lets take this knowledge out for a spin! After all, I funded that research too, with my e12A. I even tested it with my x3.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if it's an absolutely pure transporter. As long as it fits both the Cayin c5 and FiiO e12 smartphone formats and the Pico Slim, Chord Mojo, Vorzüge Pure II type shorter bricks. And it's slim.

May 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #707 of 1,222
As much as I am anticipating this device I fear that unless Fiio include a USB Type-C to USB Micro Type B OTG cable, the search for suitable cables could frustrate many potential customers

I have the Nexus 6P which is USB Type C and there are not many portable options available under 1M
I have tried and returned many of the Adapters seen on Amazon, Ebay and the like and believe me they may work for charging but not much else and especially not for OTG.

@JamesFiiO hopefully Fiio will continue the trend of including the necessary cables?

May 5, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #708 of 1,222
Will this Transport which is actually a DAP feature browsing by 'Album Artist'? That would be a first for a DAP I think (without Rockbox). Browse by 'Artist' becomes useless the moment you add a compilation album. Browse by 'Album Artist' groups all the compilations under 'Various Artists' or whatever 'Album Artist' tag the user sets. Most music players for PC or MAC can do this but DAP makers seem to think that this essential function is not needed. Will the T1 be the first to actually include it. Twin SD slots is nice but will not be useful if browse by 'Album Artist' is not also there.

I know one can browse by folder and arrange the folders appropriately but this is a pain when there is more than one memory (i.e. 2 cards).

May 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #710 of 1,222
And don't crop the artwork
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #715 of 1,222
We'll see updates from @JamesFiio, they know that there's demand in this section... Just some opposition here and there, making them hesitate.

May 17, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #718 of 1,222
Put these features into the next X3 or X5 and we all come out smiling.  Especially if some form of wifi and music streaming services are supported.

You can feed your external DAC or enjoy good tunes on a standalone basis when needed.  Best of both worlds.

Crib the sound signature of the Chord Mojo and the made for itunes and charging features of the Oppo HA-2 and the ball sails right out of the ball park.

May 17, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #720 of 1,222
Mython,

To connect to an Apple device you either need a camera connecting kit of a unit like the HA-2 which has that capability built in.  I think Oppo and apple refer to that as MFiT; I presume that means made for itunes.  But anyway what I am referring to is native apple connectivity.  Also, the HA-2 can even charge the idevices instead of draw power from them.  Right now if you connect a FIIO to an Apple device you get an annoying message about the FIIO drawing too much power from the Apple device unless you get a special usb splitter that fakes out the idevice.  Or sometimes you get lucky and the idevice does not balk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back