The Ultimate Vintage Technics System
May 9, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #31 of 58
I both hate you and love you. And I definitely envy you.

My Dynaco A-25's and my Kenwood KR-6600 just can't stand up to that, man.
frown.gif

May 9, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 58
I love that old stuff. I have Realistic STA-2100D and STA-2100 recievers made by Pioneer for RadioShack around 1980-1982 or so.
Great headphone jack.

Your green chair looks uncomfortable.

Nice blend of stereo nostalgia mixed with a modern look of the Apple Mac computer.

May 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I both hate you and love you. And I definitely envy you.

My Dynaco A-25's and my Kenwood KR-6600 just can't stand up to that, man.
frown.gif

The Kr-6600 is what I have!
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #35 of 58
Very nice! I recently picked up a pair of JBL L112 at a local thrift store for $15!!! The grill fabric was beat, woofers needed refoaming and the cabinets were a little scratched. I refoamed the woofers for $27 recovered the grills(looks better without them) and plan to sand and refinish the cabinets soon. But the sound is just jaw dropping. These are the succesor to the much acclaimed L100 with a better tweeter and woofer. These puppies can be driven at 300 watts continuosly...the woofers alone way 16lbs each. There are some great deals to be had out there and as someone posted you are saving some great gear from getting trashed. Great job on the desk also! Cheers

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #36 of 58
Question, as I'm approaching my final semester in industrial design... I'm thinking about redesigning my home theater desk, and starting a small company to produce custom desks for people with audio gear.... what do you guys think?

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #37 of 58
Sounds like an interesting idea, but it will have to be quite good to get people to bite from long distance due to massive shipping costs.

Also one thing I spot as missing is a Reel to Reel!

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #38 of 58
I'm happy for you man! Love the retro 70's Japanese stereo equipment. Well done! Edit: if you can design something eye-catching that has functionality not available now. Also I would try marketing locally first to avoid high shipping costs.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like an interesting idea, but it will have to be quite good to get people to bite from long distance due to massive shipping costs.

Also one thing I spot as missing is a Reel to Reel!

My current desk is made from 2 4'X8' sheets of baltic birch ply. It would ship flat, like most furniture you buy at Target, saving on shipping costs.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #42 of 58
Technics used to sell a large, beautiful pair of rosewood speakers with horn tweeters/mids. Technics made several different horn-tweeter loudspeakers but the ones I'm talking about were top of the line with a huge horn and looked much like the old huge Altec Lansings ... Model 8's (I think) They were stunning. I don't recall the model number but if you could ever find a pair of those, they'd be the icing on the cake for that system you have.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technics used to sell a large, beautiful pair of rosewood speakers with horn tweeters/mids. Technics made several different horn-tweeter loudspeakers but the ones I'm talking about were top of the line with a huge horn and looked much like the old huge Altec Lansings ... Model 8's (I think) They were stunning. I don't recall the model number but if you could ever find a pair of those, they'd be the icing on the cake for that system you have.

I know the ones you are talking about... I think it's these:

vintagetechnics.jpg

However, I'm happy with my setup as is. It sounds ridiculously good, even compared to really expensive stuff I've listened to. Really what I'd like to do is get another 4 channel amp and bi-amp them, since my existing speakers can be bi or tri-amped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back