THE Ultimate Step-By-Step Hifiman Headband Replacement Guide from OLDSTOCK Hifiman (HE-4/5LE/6/400/500) into the NEWSTOCK (HE-400i/560) !!!
Apr 11, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #61 of 180
This transplanting mod is quickly evolving into something that's quite doable now! Credits to the brave posters in this thread. Especially considering Hifiman seems to be happy to provide HE560 headband/cups affordably.

I'm curious now if it's a worthy effort to make a HE6->HE560 transplant. That'd be sweet.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #62 of 180
This transplanting mod is quickly evolving into something that's quite doable now! Credits to the brave posters in this thread. Especially considering Hifiman seems to be happy to provide HE560 headband/cups affordably.

I'm curious now if it's a worthy effort to make a HE6->HE560 transplant. That'd be sweet.

Definitely not for the faint of heart that's for sure. It probably is, because as ive iterated already, all hifiman drivers and cups are dimensioned almost identically

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #63 of 180

I am quite certainly sure it would be a worthy effort. Too shame I don't have HE-6 drivers.
I definitely prefer HE-500 drivers + HE-560 headband/cups to the stock HE-560. HE-6 with HE-560 headband and cups would be a real killer

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #64 of 180

I'm assuming that by ordering "1" it would be for a pair?  Or, do we have to add "2" to the cart to get a pair?

Thanks for posting this great link!  It's great that we can order this off of the Web site.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #65 of 180

I'm assuming that by ordering "1" it would be for a pair?  Or, do we have to add "2" to the cart to get a pair?

Thanks for posting this great link!  It's great that we can order this off of the Web site.
smily_headphones1.gif

The price is for a pair of aluminum rings. Even a pair of absorbing rings and 12 screws are included. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #68 of 180
I just did this to my HE500s and it turned out great. I did not remove the audio jacks though, I was just careful not to stress the wires. I covered both sides of the driver in masking tape AND put it in a bag. I took no chances with stuff getting in there. Do this very early on because if you drop a screw in there the magnets in the drivers will pull it in so hard it will do damage. Basically do it as soon as the bare driver is exposed.

A few tips for anyone reading this thread:

- the Hifiman screws don't strip easy and mine had evidence of loctite or other thread sealant. They were a bit tight but all you need is a really good (new) screwdriver tip. It's a Ph#1 and I had no problems slipping using PB Swiss bits. They are insanely expensive but I have a lot of good tools around, the fit is so precise you couldn't strip them if you tried.

- the little brass inserts are super easy to remove. Take a screw that you pulled out and thread it back in 1 or 2 turns, just barely. One side I was able to push out with just my thumb, the other I had to use the screwdriver to push the screw in with the insert. Just make SURE you back it up on the other side with your fingers so you don't crack the plastic. It's super easy to hold from the back and take the screw out after.

Thanks and good luck to anyone trying this! It's really quite easy to do and you can get away without soldering if you're careful.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #69 of 180
Are the HE-500/HE-6 cups heavier than the 400S/i/560 cups? Do the 560 cups weigh more than the 400S ones?

HE-500/6 is 500g without cable.

How much lighter is the new headband over the old one?

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #70 of 180
Hilariously enough i measured it on a scale(with Alpha Pads, and they were 50g heavier. I dont think the cups are any heavier, they are all made from the same plastic, except the 560 has a vinear trim. Whether or not they are heavier, the new headband takes the weight off very well, although bendning the headband the fit your head on the old stock helps a lot too

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #73 of 180
Big thumb up for this nice thread. All went smooth for me. Few remarks from my experience
- When removing the driver from the cup , the felt placed on the driver is glued to the connector, gently push the driver with your thumb where the glue is, the driver will easily move from the connector.
- best method to remove the brass fitting is to gently hammer on it with a small nail
- do not disconnect the cable from the driver, really not needed
- to make a bigger hole into the cup to fit the new headband you need to use a 5.5mm "wick" (don't know the right word in english)
- new headband is approx. 40g lighter than original one (80g vs 120g) 
- clamping is more important with new headband

Just to it! I did and all went smooth and I'm far from being an expert!

#proudofme

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #74 of 180
  If the HE-500/HE-6 cups weigh the same as the new cups then I won't bother transplanting them across.

I had previously asked the same question in the past without getting an answer, then went ahead with the mod. I'm not sure if the weight post the mod is much different, but you will no longer perceive the weight of the headphone as an issue after the mod. The new headband is just that much better in dispersing the weight, it is night and day difference!! 

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #75 of 180
I did this mod to my HE-400 cans along with new Veganpads about a month ago and the difference has been night and day! Previously I was using a Beyer-style headband (with stock velour pads) and I would still get hotspots from the headband after an hour or two of wearing the headphones. The updated suspension headband is significantly better at distributing the weight comfortably and is easier to adjust. I can wear the headphones for hours now and forget they are there! Additionally, the Veganpads remove any clamping discomfort (stock really wasn't bad in that regard, but the new pads are still better) and really just feel much more comfortable in general.

Some notes from my modification:
  1. I completely removed the drivers from the cups as I wanted to paint the cups while they were disassembled. The SMC connectors on my cans had some kind of glue or epoxy covering them to keep them from loosening. I had to use a blade and file to chip/file the glue off so I could remove the connectors with a wrench/pliers. Be careful when doing this as it is easy to damage the connector/wiring, and even the cups.
  2. Pressing the brass fittings out as ady1989 suggested was quite easy compared to hammering them out. Just be careful to not crack the cup due to pressure or hard contact with your work space.
  3. Widening the openings for the headband posts with a file is a pain. A drill or small rotary tool would be a lot easier. Again, easy to damage the cups if you are not careful (mine have a noticeable gouge on the outer surface from the file slipping.
  4. Definitely tape up your drivers and cover them with a bag or something. Filing all the glue and plastic is extremely messy and you will get shavings all over your drivers if you don't cover them or put them away from your work area.
  5. Plasti-dip is extremely fragile for the first 36 hours or so after applying. I thought I would be alright to reassemble the headphones after 18-20 hours of drying and damaged the paint around the inner edges (where the pads meet the cans). I don't think mine are in immediate danger of peeling but I feel like they will be after a year or two and it is going to be a major pain to disassemble them for repainting without damaging the new headband.
  6. Large-diameter pads like the Veganpads will interfere with the range of motion of the new headband. Specifically, the top of the pads cannot move outwards past the inner edge of the headband arm. This could cause comfort or seal issues for people with wide heads.

Overall this mod required a decent bit of effort but the results are very much worth it. If I had to do it again, I would have ordered new cups along with the headband and just transplanted the drivers to save myself a lot of hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back