THE Ultimate Step-By-Step Hifiman Headband Replacement Guide from OLDSTOCK Hifiman (HE-4/5LE/6/400/500) into the NEWSTOCK (HE-400i/560) !!!
Jan 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 180
Correction: I'm very curious why HiFiMan is not offering the nicer new headbands on one headphone in their current line. The HE-6 is my personal favorite of the bunch, but I don't care for the old headband. I suppose I could always mod it thanks to the detailed steps the OP outlined, I've been waiting so long for them to make this change. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #23 of 180
OH NO, just started running my HE-500 out of a speaker amp and now this and the grill mod will seal the deal

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 180
Step 7.

I have no idea how the OP managed to get the brass fitting out with that screw driver, but I went a different route.
Highly recommend finding a small nail, I believe what I used was a nail called a Brad Nail and a small hammer.  Hell if you can't find a hammer you can use the handle part of the screw driver and just tap out the brass fitting.  It will probably take a minute or two but it will slide right out.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 180
Fantastic guide! I got the HE-400i headband from hifiman, started on the mod. I am doing the mod on my HE-500. OP called it on atleast one stripped screw when removing the stock headband, had one strip on each side, but was able to bend and break the stripped screw. Actually found it easier than I thought it would be. A few things that made it easier, atleast on the HE-500 --

I did not need to remove the cable connector. I actually tried to remove the cable connector, but was getting nowhere fast. I think you only need to remove the cable connector if you are going to spend extensive amount of time with the brass fittings, which came out really pretty easy for me. Here is what I did; I got the driver unscrewed from the housing, then moved out to the side a bit, put a zip lock bag to cover it as best possible. Then put a screwdriver over the brass fitting, and whacked the screwdriver with another (bigger) screwdriver. It took maybe 15 whacks to get it loose, just a minute of work. Got the idea from Eddyfcknp's post.

I'm not quite done yet, my brother is borrowing my drill. Just need to widen the holes on the housing just a bit and I should be done.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 180
You're a brave man!  Those drivers, even with plastic over them, will suck up ANY metal debris big or small.  I would hate to see something like that happen, be careful!

I actually cover my drivers in painters tape during the entire process.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 180
  You're a brave man!  Those drivers, even with plastic over them, will suck up ANY metal debris big or small.  I would hate to see something like that happen, be careful!

I actually cover my drivers in painters tape during the entire process.

Good advice with the painters tape, didn't think of that. I did pick out pieces of solder that were on brass fitting on the inner side with some needlenoses. As you can see I worked at my kitchen table, not my workbench, to avoid any odd medal residues.

Quite honestly the section people need to be careful is when dealing with cable connectors, if you decide to try to remove them, be careful to not strip metal from the nut. This is why I don't recommend you try to remove the cable connector, and quickly tried to work around that.

I did just go over each driver thoroughly using a bright light, trying to spot any small pieces of metal. Think I am in the clear. But yeah, anyone else doing the mod, listen to Eddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back