THE Ultimate Step-By-Step Hifiman Headband Replacement Guide from OLDSTOCK Hifiman (HE-4/5LE/6/400/500) into the NEWSTOCK (HE-400i/560) !!!
Apr 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #46 of 180

Actually, there might be a way around this.  There's a metal piece inserted into the cup and fits against the outer ring of the cup.  I'll see if that piece is required.  If it's not, I'll go without it and that should allow me to close off that gap by 1/32", which would minimize it a bit more.  I'll keep the thread updated as I progress, but can't start until later tonight.

I think I see the ring in your picture.  I wonder if it's there for structural reasons? Anyways, best of luck, and take pictures along the process!

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #47 of 180
Actually, there might be a way around this.  There's a metal piece inserted into the cup and fits against the outer ring of the cup.  I'll see if that piece is required.  If it's not, I'll go without it and that should allow me to close off that gap by 1/32", which would minimize it a bit more.  I'll keep the thread updated as I progress, but can't start until later tonight.
lol i just drilled that out and epoxied the smc connectors to the thing; fit like a glove. I didnt wanna spend money on more cables :p

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #48 of 180
lol i just drilled that out and epoxied the smc connectors to the thing; fit like a glove. I didnt wanna spend money on more cables :p

I don't have to spend money on more cables - I have the parts. 
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #49 of 180
OK, I've completed the task of transplanting the drivers into the new cups and have them playing at this time.  I built a cable with 2.5mm connectors this past weekend, so I was all ready for this day.

I'll take you through a series of pictures showing a bit more detail on the insides of the HE-560 cups vs. the HE-500 cups.  In my case, I have a pretty tight fit with the drivers -- and virtually no gap has been created that would impact anything -- even visually.

Here's how the installation appears on the HE-500 cups and the black ring is flush.

Here's how the completed installation appears on the HE-560 cups.  Quite flat and almost flush, with just a slight lip.

The "pesky" ring that's included on the inside of the HE-560 cups.  The ring is just set loose into the cup, so it can easily be removed.

The HE-500 cups don't have a metal ring or spacer on the outer cups.  Just the molded plastic with the screw holes.  After removing the metal ring, this is virtually how the HE-560 appears.

Inside view of the HE-560 cups.  Molded plastic exposed as well as the screw holes.  Also, you can see the 2.5mm female connector.

Another picture of the 2.5mm female connector on the inside of the HE-560 cups.  This picture also shows how the ring as it is set in place in the driver cups before I removed it and set it aside.

It took me just a little over an hour to complete the swap.  Desoldering the old wires, checking the polarity, removing the old drivers, soldering the new wires, installing the drivers in the new cups, installing the headband and then finally testing.  Also, some time was consumed with capturing some photos of the items I've shared above.

Was it worth it?  I think so.  The newer headband is quite a bit more comfortable.  The cup switch is nice if one wants the woodgrain touch.  The sound isn't different - or doesn't seem to be from what my ears can tell.  It's quite enjoyable.  The HE-500 driver is still a heavier driver since it has magnets on both sides - where the HE-400S, 400I, 560 as well as the HE-4 have only the magnet structure on one side of the driver which means slightly less weight. 

I'll be heading to the Nashville meet this weekend.  I'm looking forward to finally hearing a pair of HE-560 headphones as I haven't heard them yet.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #50 of 180
OK, I've completed the task of transplanting the drivers into the new cups and have them playing at this time.  I built a cable with 2.5mm connectors this past weekend, so I was all ready for this day.

I'll take you through a series of pictures showing a bit more detail on the insides of the HE-560 cups vs. the HE-500 cups.  In my case, I have a pretty tight fit with the drivers -- and virtually no gap has been created that would impact anything -- even visually.

Here's how the installation appears on the HE-500 cups and the black ring is flush.

Here's how the completed installation appears on the HE-560 cups.  Quite flat and almost flush, with just a slight lip.

The "pesky" ring that's included on the inside of the HE-560 cups.  The ring is just set loose into the cup, so it can easily be removed.

The HE-500 cups don't have a metal ring or spacer on the outer cups.  Just the molded plastic with the screw holes.  After removing the metal ring, this is virtually how the HE-560 appears.

Inside view of the HE-560 cups.  Molded plastic exposed as well as the screw holes.  Also, you can see the 2.5mm female connector.

Another picture of the 2.5mm female connector on the inside of the HE-560 cups.  This picture also shows how the ring as it is set in place in the driver cups before I removed it and set it aside.

It took me just a little over an hour to complete the swap.  Desoldering the old wires, checking the polarity, removing the old drivers, soldering the new wires, installing the drivers in the new cups, installing the headband and then finally testing.  Also, some time was consumed with capturing some photos of the items I've shared above.

Was it worth it?  I think so.  The newer headband is quite a bit more comfortable.  The cup switch is nice if one wants the woodgrain touch.  The sound isn't different - or doesn't seem to be from what my ears can tell.  It's quite enjoyable.  The HE-500 driver is still a heavier driver since it has magnets on both sides - where the HE-400S, 400I, 560 as well as the HE-4 have only the magnet structure on one side of the driver which means slightly less weight. 

I'll be heading to the Nashville meet this weekend.  I'm looking forward to finally hearing a pair of HE-560 headphones as I haven't heard them yet.

I didnt take out the plastic, and there is a 16th of an inch the housing sticks outword. IVE DONE ENOUGH

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #51 of 180
I didnt take out the plastic, and there is a 16th of an inch the housing sticks outword. IVE DONE ENOUGH

I didn't take out the plastic either, just the metal ring.  For your retrofits, did you keep the metal spacer ring in the HE-560 cups?  However, you're right, there is a lip and for some, this could be a deal breaker when it comes to fit and finish.  Myself?  I'm not as worried about the lip that's there from the raised plastic trim ring as it doesn't affect the sound and with the pads installed, you can barely detect it.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #52 of 180
I didn't take out the plastic either, just the metal ring.  For your retrofits, did you keep the metal spacer ring in the HE-560 cups?  However, you're right, there is a lip and for some, this could be a deal breaker when it comes to fit and finish.  Myself?  I'm not as worried about the lip that's there from the raised plastic trim ring as it doesn't affect the sound and with the pads installed, you can barely detect it.

The gap is bigger since i didnt take out the spacer. Even then, the driver is not exposed, and will not change the sound, or effect the integrity of the headphone and driver by any means

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #53 of 180
I didn't take the metal ring out. It is there to guide the screws into the holes and to protect the cables coming from the drivers. I also bought the original HE-560 aluminum trim rings that hold the ear pads in place. There is no gap at all. The HE-500 driver with those two rings fits perfectly into the cup.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #54 of 180
  I didn't take the metal ring out. It is there to guide the screws into the holes and to protect the cables coming from the drivers. I also bought the original HE-560 aluminum trim rings that hold the ear pads in place. There is no gap at all. The HE-500 driver with those two rings fits perfectly into the cup.

Ah so the trick is to use the HE560 aluminum trim ring instead of the HE500 for a flush fit?

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #56 of 180

Thanks for this important information!  With the HE-560 aluminum trim rings that hold the ear pads in place, I'm assuming that it prevents the ear pads from turning and getting out of position - especially the focus ear pads.   The HE-400s that I had, had 4 "slots" to receive the ear pad clips and the ear pads didn't spin on that pair of  ear pads.

Again, thanks for this information.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #57 of 180

Thanks for this important information!  With the HE-560 aluminum trim rings that hold the ear pads in place, I'm assuming that it prevents the ear pads from turning and getting out of position - especially the focus ear pads.   The HE-400s that I had, had 4 "slots" to receive the ear pad clips and the ear pads didn't spin on that pair of  ear pads.

Again, thanks for this information.

No problems. That is correct. The FocusPads cannot turn once placed correctly in the slots on the trim ring. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back