The Ultimate Portable ...?
Apr 25, 2010 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

violinvirtuoso

1000+ Head-Fier
I am going to make a big purchase of portable audio gear
darthsmile.gif
. I currently own the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pros. I want a better cable, amp(depends on source) and a much better source.

For a cable I am getting the Enyo Cable (Null Audio) $70. Please do not suggest Westone or UE Custom Cables as I do not want modify the cable to fit. Budget: $100
New option must have very little microphonics, great SQ, and under $100.

The rest of the purchases go together and so I will list them accordingly.

Option 1: DIYMod with flash mod and internal capacitors. $140
iBasso D4 ($220)
Line Out Dock CablePro Earcandy Lite 90 degree ($140)
Total Cost: $500

Option 2: Kenwood HD30GB9 ($?) Where can I purchase this?

Option 3: HifiMan HM-801 ($790)

Budget: $500

New option must have 30+ GB of storage, play lossless files (preferrably FLAC), have amazing SQ and be under about $500.

The Hifiman is over my budget. Is it that much (w/ TF10) better than DIYMod and Kenwood?
Is the Kenwood even close to the DIYMod?
What should I purchase?
Am I being stupid and forgetting a much better option.

Priorities: SQ>Synergy>Storage Space>Size>UI>Looks

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by violinvirtuoso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darthsmile.gif
. I currently own the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pros. I want a better cable, amp(depends on source) and a much better source.

For a cable I am getting the Enyo Cable (Null Audio) $70. Please do not suggest Westone or UE Custom Cables as I do not want modify the cable to fit. Budget: $100
New option must have very little microphonics, great SQ, and under $100.

The rest of the purchases go together and so I will list them accordingly.

Option 1: DIYMod with flash mod and internal capacitors. $140
iBasso D4 ($220)
Line Out Dock CablePro Earcandy Lite 90 degree ($140)
Total Cost: $500

Option 2: Kenwood HD30GB9 ($?) Where can I purchase this?

Option 3: HifiMan HM-801 ($790)

New option must have 30+ GB of storage, play lossless files (preferrably FLAC), have amazing SQ and be under about $500.

The Hifiman is over my budget. Is it that much (w/ TF10) better than DIYMod and Kenwood?
Is the Kenwood even close to the DIYMod?
What should I purchase?
Am I being stupid and forgetting a much better option.

Priorities: SQ>Synergy>Storage Space>Size>UI>Looks

I say, go for the HiFiMAN. Most portable setups consisting of a iPod/iMod and a Hi-End portable amp cost the same or even more then the HiFiMAN. The HiFiMAN was an idea of being a all in one portable, Hi-End DAC, Hi-End Amplifier and a short signal between the two to ensure pure sound reproduction. Also remember, an iMod with a Hi-End portable amplifier will not sound better than the HiFiMAN by itself because the iMod's setup is crippled by it's DAC. The HiFiMAN has by far the best DAC in any portable audio/media player.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 27
The most compact portable rig willbe Sflo2+D4+ALO CXS mini to mini or Sony X1060+ALO WM dock cable+AMPs.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerdz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about an Imod from RWA with 240GB?

The Kenwood HD30GB9 doesn't play FLAC wich you prefer.

Thanks for the heads up about the Kenwood player. However if it's sq rivals imod and such I might still go for it.

About the imod you mentioned, it is so expensive that I will almost certainly get the HifiMan with that cash.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say, go for the HiFiMAN. Most portable setups consisting of a iPod/iMod and a Hi-End portable amp cost the same or even more then the HiFiMAN. The HiFiMAN was an idea of being a all in one portable, Hi-End DAC, Hi-End Amplifier and a short signal between the two to ensure pure sound reproduction. Also remember, an iMod with a Hi-End portable amplifier will not sound better than the HiFiMAN by itself because the iMod's setup is crippled by it's DAC. The HiFiMAN has by far the best DAC in any portable audio/media player.

If I can get enough cash, I probably will go for the Hifiman. Seeing your sig, you have the hifiman, game module, and jh 13s. If I ended up going for the HifiMan could I use it with my IEMs have the great sq? Or will it be necessary to get the game module to use the hifiman with iems? How much of a difference would you say there was in iTouch vs. Hifiman and Hifiman vs. Hifiman with game module?

Thanks so much for all your input.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most compact portable rig willbe Sflo2+D4+ALO CXS mini to mini or Sony X1060+ALO WM dock cable+AMPs.

The Sony option is great but expensive. This because it includes many cool features (ex. Wi-Fi)... That I don't need.

The S:Flo 2 is very interesting. Amazing specs but when I look up reviews, the first thing mentioned is the terrible UI. Has this been fixed with new firmware. Is there good third party firmware I can use (like Rockbox)?

Also, where can I buy this, I only see preorder forms?

Thanks for the great suggestion.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

If I can get enough cash, I probably will go for the Hifiman. Seeing your sig, you have the hifiman, game module, and jh 13s. If I ended up going for the HifiMan could I use it with my IEMs have the great sq? Or will it be necessary to get the game module to use the hifiman with iems? How much of a difference would you say there was in iTouch vs. Hifiman and Hifiman vs. Hifiman with game module?

Thanks so much for all your input.

I myself prefer the sound of the GAME amplifier with my JH13's, there is more bass, and the sound is smoother with a hint more detail.

iPod Touch vs. HiFiMAN:
There really is no comparison. The HiFiMAN has a much more detailed and open sound. The soundstage is much more convincing because of the increased air around the instruments. Instrument separation is sharp and much more precised instead of the muddy, and foggy sound of the iPod. the bass is much more tighter, detailed, impactful, textured, layered and deeper. The treble is more extended and smoother with a nice natural decay. And what I love the most is how much more natural the vocals sound compared to the lifeless and anemic iPod.

The HiFiMAN with the GAME amplifier is an incredible all in one portable player. But, adding a external amplifier to the HiFiMAN improves it's sound even more!

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

darthsmile.gif
. Option 3: HifiMan HM-801 ($790)

You want a big purchase? The topic title is "ultimate portable"... Sell yourself on the corner for a week and buy the HifiMan. You won't be disappointed.

PS: If you haven't already read this check it out. Worth the read in my opinion. HM-801, T51, RWA Imod, Ipod Classic, and X1060! | Headfonia

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want a big purchase? The topic title is "ultimate portable"... Sell yourself on the corner for a week and buy the HifiMan. You won't be disappointed.

PS: If you haven't already read this check it out. Worth the read in my opinion. HM-801, T51, RWA Imod, Ipod Classic, and X1060! | Headfonia

Thanks for the link it clears a lot of stuff up. Regardless of whether I get the Hifiman now or later, I know I will be purchasing it. However, I don't think that the TF 10s are good enough to take full advantage of the Hifiman. So I will probably go for the S:Flo2. Once I stop growing, I will probably purchase customs and the Hifiman.

By the way, if I used the s:flo2 with the iBasso D4 would the sound be that much better? They seem to have similar specs (ex. Dual Wolfson DACs).

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Thanks for the link it clears a lot of stuff up. Regardless of whether I get the Hifiman now or later, I know I will be purchasing it. However, I don't think that the TF 10s are good enough to take full advantage of the Hifiman. So I will probably go for the S:Flo2. Once I stop growing, I will probably purchase customs and the Hifiman.

By the way, if I used the s:flo2 with the iBasso D4 would the sound be that much better? They seem to have similar specs (ex. Dual Wolfson DACs).

Yes you will get an increase in sound using the amp. The LO on the player is a lot better than the HO and the D4 is a great amp. Are you going to be amping the Triple.Fis with it? And if so, do you already have the D4 or no?

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you will get an increase in sound using the amp. The LO on the player is a lot better than the HO and the D4 is a great amp. Are you going to be amping the Triple.Fis with it? And if so, do you already have the D4 or no?

Forgot about Line Out vs Phone Out. And yes, the amp will be used with the Triple Fis. And no I have not yet purchased the iBasso D4. This is because iBasso is currently out of stock.

Did you have an amp reccomendation. Any and all recccomendations for sources, amps, and cables are welcome. Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the FYI on Hifiman's memory (purchasing sd cards).

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 27
The problem with the HIFIMAN is its physical size. While it does sounds good, its size is approach the setup of a netbook (Sony X or P series) + external DAC (DACport or Arrow USB DAC Stick). The netbook setup have advantage of bigger storage, be able to play any media, and freedom of EQ/upsampling.

If the new crop of tablet computer can offer 10+ battery power, they will serve the bases of ultimate portable players.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by borrego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the HIFIMAN is its physical size. While it does sounds good, its size is approach the setup of a netbook (Sony X or P series) + external DAC (DACport or Arrow USB DAC Stick). The netbook setup have advantage of bigger storage, be able to play any media, and freedom of EQ/upsampling.

If the new crop of tablet computer can offer 10+ battery power, they will serve the bases of ultimate portable players.

The HiFiMAN is small, here is a picture comparison to my iPod Touch:

15698_118790581470591_100000189506868_286010_4882664_n.jpg

The iPod Touch and the HiFiMAN is about the same width, while the HiFiMAN is thicker of course to fit in all those superior components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back