The ultimate closed-back headphone?
Apr 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

levinhatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Didn't see a thread directly about this, so I fig'd I'd start a new one.

What do you consider to be the ultimate closed-back headphone (assuming price not an object)? Is it the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog? The Fostex TH900? Something from Ultrasone? Something else? 

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 12
Price no objective and willing to be patient, the Sony MDR-R10 would be the ultimate closed headphone, more likely than not.

For me outside of that the Fostex TH900 would be the closed headphone which would be the most enjoyable for me personally - I will eventually upgrade over my TH600. Mainly due to high end imaging, soundstage and detail while having a fairly strong bass presence for my types of music.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 12
I like the TH900.  But at 1/3 the price I like the Shure 1540 as well.  

Also really interested in the SONY Z7.  Right now it`s between Z7, 1540 and maybe the TH600 which I haven`t yet heard. 

Alphadogs and XC are just too damned heavy ! 

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 12
Isolation, comfort, build qualtty, sound quality, the new Astel & Kern T5P-specific EQ for my 120ii, but for the #1 reason, please click on the BEYER T5P!  hypertext in my signature.  

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Originally Posted by Dopaminer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...but for the #1 reason, please click on the BEYER T5P!  hypertext in my signature.  

Great story and congratulations on the purchase :)

With regards to this topic, I am kind of stuck as well. I can't spend over a thousand dollars on another headphones since I just repurchased my HD800 after not owning one for three years. I'm stuck deciding between Sony Z7, Sony 7520, Shure SRH-1540, and Fostex TH-600... My budget is under $800 but above $400, unless there are options below $400. I have the Sennheiser Momentum over-ear, but need a more comfortable closed back over ear headphones.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 12

Great story and congratulations on the purchase :)

With regards to this topic, I am kind of stuck as well. I can't spend over a thousand dollars on another headphones since I just repurchased my HD800 after not owning one for three years. I'm stuck deciding between Sony Z7, Sony 7520, Shure SRH-1540, and Fostex TH-600... My budget is under $800 but above $400, unless there are options below $400. I have the Sennheiser Momentum over-ear, but need a more comfortable closed back over ear headphones.

Thanks man !  

Those phones you list above, all of them except the 7520 I have demo`d extensively and they are all excellent.  If you`re looking for isolation, delete the TH-600 - it lets every sound in, just like an open back.  The Z7 is also not a great isolator, but it does excel at many other things like comfort, build quality. It`s still on my radar as an utterly unnecessary indulgence.  

Have you considered the new Ultrasone Performance 880 ?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back