The UE18 Pro: Ultimate Ears Announces Their New Flagship Custom IEM
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #197 of 280
I see only two bores at the tip. They are not really like a pair of bores, looks like one inner tube is enclosed by larger outer tube.
The outer tube is an ordinal custom acrylic sound tube but the inner one is an unusual white plastic tube I've not seen in other custom IEMs. Outer and inner construction is a bit similar to UE11 but this plastic white tube is new to me. About the white plastic tube, I can't see thru inside further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the UE18 have 3 bores inside and at the tip there are 1 on the outside and 1 on the inside?

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #200 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see only two bores at the tip. They are not really like a pair of bores, looks like one inner tube is enclosed by larger outer tube.
The outer tube is an ordinal custom acrylic sound tube but the inner one is an unusual white plastic tube I've not seen in other custom IEMs. Outer and inner construction is a bit similar to UE11 but this plastic white tube is new to me. About the white plastic tube, I can't see thru inside further.

I know the 13's have that plastic white tube inside the acrylic tube as well.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #201 of 280
I know that is exactly a golden question and what I am worrying to say.
As for sounding, I concur with Jude's word "UE11 mk3". Actually his initial comments on the first part of this thread is fairly accurate I think.
UE18 is a much evolved UE11 with JH13 taste. More balanced, more tight and still warm enough to say this is very musical IEM.
This is good but I think UE18 is not Jerry Harvey sound anyway.
I know this is not the answer but I need more time to tell further ..
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_fied /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sasaki, the golden question...as I've got a pair of 13s myself and am awaiting the 18s....

Will we be disappointed with the 18s? the jh 13 owners that is.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #202 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the 13's have that plastic white tube inside the acrylic tube as well.

I have JH13 as well and the comparison is not the same to my eyes. But it could be different by lot.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #203 of 280
Quote:

As for sounding, I concur with Jude's word "UE11 mk3". Actually his initial comments on the first part of this thread is fairly accurate I think.
UE18 is a much evolved UE11 with JH13 taste. More balanced, more tight and still warm enough to say this is very musical IEM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sasaki, this is precisely what i'm looking for and why I chose to do the 18s over the 16s. I love my 13s, but I want another high end custom that has a different sonic signature...

Believe me, I was trying very hard not to get sucked into the more "drivers is better" syndrome....and JH audio service has not disappointed one bit too.

I feel a lot more assured after hearing your initial comments.Thank you!

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #204 of 280
Quote:

There are only 2 visible "tubes" visible from the outside, but the white tube is part of a custom inner structure that holds the drivers as well as directing sound into the concentric bore, essentially a tube within a tube design. You can see more detail about this design via this link:
Utimate Ears Custom UE 18 Pro Features - Custom Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #205 of 280
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting impressions. I'm going to be placing my order very soon
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #207 of 280
yep, the red looks good when you view the earpieces as they are, but to me, when people wear red earpieces they make the ears look like they're bleeding. Green, orange and yellow looks like weird stuff (for e.g wax) coming out of the ears, clear and flesh color look like hearing aids. For me, blue, purple, white and black are the only colors to pick from.

just my two cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #208 of 280
You read my mind pretty much. I love the red color, but I do think it'd be a bit obnoxious running around with red customs. Then again, the smoke grey might get boring after a while.

Either way, UE has received my impressions, so when I eventually get them I will post up my thoughts. Bear in mind I do not have the JH-13 or JH-16 to compare to, and these are my first customs.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #209 of 280
@Sonicelt: the CT6 cable connector is great, but he cable isn't as good as the JH or UE cables. If sleek fixed the cable, they'd have the strongest detachable cable on the market. Currently, UE and FitEar probably have the best as their pins aren't exposed at a joint as the JH, Westone, Earsonics are.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #210 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Sonicelt: the CT6 cable connector is great, but he cable isn't as good as the JH or UE cables. If sleek fixed the cable,

... or allowed after-market cables...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they'd have the strongest detachable cable on the market. Currently, UE and FitEar probably have the best as their pins aren't exposed at a joint as the JH, Westone, Earsonics are.

Or Sensaphonics, maybe, with their nylon screw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back