The UE18 Pro: Ultimate Ears Announces Their New Flagship Custom IEM
Jan 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #91 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to be able to analyze sales figures to determine that JHA has taken a major bite out of UE's market share.

How's that? Without data that's pure speculation. It's certainly possible, but it's also possible that the market is growing and that sales are up at JHA, but share is the same.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #92 of 280
I'm not entirely sure what kind of entourage recording artists carry around with them. But, I would think they have someone specifically in tune to the music and the quality of the input and output of it (sound engineer? mixer? not sure). I think it's likely that they know what's going on in the world of in-ear monitors. From there, would they not relay that information to the artist they work for or even set them up with the appropriate gear? As a result, I think many of those engineers would have known by now that JH has moved on to his own endeavor and they have followed him.

Sound is more important to them than it is to us. It's their livelihood, it's our hobby.

Then again, I'm just sayin'

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #93 of 280
Fact of the matter is we have no idea. All of the above is possible. But it's also possible that UE tried to lock up its bands with sponsorship/endorsement deals that will keep them from jumping ship. Again, we don't know.

Anyone from the industry (either headphone or music) here with some meaningful insight?

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #94 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny how IEMs are so expensive for how small they are, yet they sound so good. I wonder how much it really costs in parts and if they could even make an IEM that in parts costs $1300. Now that would be interesting
biggrin.gif

You should watch this video....

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

and

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

....and I think you'll understand that this is involves much more than just a bunch of parts.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #95 of 280
I should have worded it more correctly. I will have to watch it when I get back home, here the internet is slow, it's going to take about 40 minutes to buffer the whole video. Anyway, I shouldn't make any more stupid comments about the production but what I meant was, that amount of money in just the parts like wires, drivers, the cable and the actual mold. Not paying for the actual research they did, the tools used, the people employed etc.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #96 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sound you read above was my brain just resetting. But my wallet is still getting CPR. Buying the Woo WES almost killed it, plus $500 in car repairs and two kids getting $600 in Lacrosse gear is just icing on the cake. Our upcoming tax refund will only pay off half the credit cards now when usually it pays off 90%, so I may end up selling off a bit of lesser gear if I do become deranged enough to consider this. But then there would be no decent phono stage for the NAD/Ortofon vinyl rig, and no Cullen mods for the PS Audio DAC, etc.

Oh, this is an easy one. Sell all of that other stuff too and get a HiFiMan-801.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #97 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't hear reviews. You'll only know which you prefer once you've heard them both and can come to your own conclusions.

sorry but what is that supposed to actually mean, commenting on the semantics of my post and then stating the obvious?? Though if that were 100% of the truth then head-fi would not exist. IMO very good and informed decisions can be made by noting other comparisons that have been made by a poster and leveraging them to make a decision. for instance I have JH13 and they were used as a reference to describe the sound of the UE18. I think that gives me enough info to know that I dont even want to try them, even though that is impossible anyway and you wouldnt catch me blowing 1350 on some IEMs on a punt. for sure you cannot know 100% what something will sound like until you hear it, but enough information can often be gleaned by reviews by people whos taste you know and/or comparative reviews to equipment you HAVE heard or own yourself, to enable a somewhat educated decision to be made.

can I tell others that they wont like the sound based in this info?? no I cant, but its certainly enough info for me to make a judgement.

could I be missing out?? certainly, do I care? not really, JH13 has me pretty happy these days, i'm not even looking for another IEM and the only cans that have me a bit interested are R1 and T1

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #99 of 280
sony R1, I like my denons too, but R1 is the mother of bassy phones, if I wanted a bassy can I would get a full size BASSY/fun can

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #101 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys shouldn't worry about UE's Hi-End profit.
If you ask a thousand random audiophiles if they know who's UE it'll probably be 400. And JH.. Probably 10...

haha while i admire your candor, i doubt thats the case. Even the majority of my non audiophile friends have heard of ultimate ears.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #105 of 280
the price of 1350 is a bit high and reading the forums here i doubt too many people will be getting the ue18 when the jh16 is 200 cheaper. or atleast i wont :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back