The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #511 of 547
I've done hundreds of hours of research and trial-and-error testing over the years and, while I have no experience with some of the items you mentioned, I can tell you where I ended up. I have the Aonic 4 also. For almost all of my daily listening I use the TW2. For cable and a bit better sound I use the FiiO BTR-5 (BTR-7 is also out now). I'm very happy with the TW2 sound quality. For EQ, just for a little bass boost, I use Flat Equalizer from Beat Blend Labs on my Android phone. And perhaps most importantly, for tips I use AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal Standard.

I was leery about the sound quality of the TW2 after comparing to the BTR-5 at first, but was persuaded by members here that the conveniences would overwhelmingly outweigh any minor difference in SQ and they were right. I never think about it. I do exercises and martial arts etc so having no cable is a plus, but even still I'm very happy with the SQ. That Flat Equalizer works great, better than the one with the Shure PLAY app. The BTR is superb.

And man oh man the virtues of the right tips means everything! Try the ones I suggested! I did TONS of research and then trial-and-error on tips alone (good hundred-plus hours just on tips, discarded dozens of types before finding this). Be sure to buy the size you think you need and also the size up and the size down, and experiment with fit until you find the ideal fit for a very good seal. The tips should be comfortable in your ear and yet seal so well it might even make a "pop" sound when you remove it. And it might take a different size for each ear, which is not uncommon.

By the way, the RMCE-BT2 is in my opinion a waste of time. Why would anyone even consider it? I've used it and thrown it away. Very disappointing. BT sound quality is poor and the form factor is very inconvenient.

If you can afford it, the TW2 will make you very happy if you combine it with the EQ and tips I suggested. And I'm sure for a cable the BTR-7 will have you even a bit happier.
Hu,

Thank you for taking the time as well!
I can afford the TW2 - now it's only the question if I want to.
But the other option beeing the MW200 is about the same, so it doesnt really matter much.

I'm quite unsure, if I enjoyed having TWS, without a cable to pull one out quickly - this is probably unnecessary with transparent mode now.
On the other hand, I like to dangle both around my neck, so I dont have to store them away, when not in use for a short time?
(I always could add a string, I know).
What's your take on this?

Back in the day I compared many tips myself (teen, limited budget, with SE 215)
I settled on the comply foam tils, the former rounded/olive shape. They had a perfekt seal, and best low end. Mid a little too warm, highs missing - but i blamed the 215s for that (mostly).
Did you compare the crystal tips to those?

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #512 of 547
Get the TW2. You'll almost never take them off. And if you do, you just toss them in your pocket. Piece of cake. You can also use the case but it's not needed. I only take it with me when carrying them in my bag to the gym, just to protect them.

Shure IEMs with Shure TW2 with Shure PLAY app. Just do it.

The habit of wearing them around your neck will soon be forgotten (and was always an invitation to lose them).

And yes, I've tried every variation of Comply tips there is, in every size, multiple times, like an OCD madman. Even tried software to measure low end. Trust me. Get the AZLA. They're a tad weak in the low end but that's a cinch to make up for with the Flat Equalizer app and they're much more robust and clear in the mids and highs than Company or any other foam, plus they're much more comfortable for long wear. Plus you don't have to roll them every time you've taken them out briefly before putting them back in like you do with foam! And yes I've tried most silicone tips as well: SpinFit, etc, etc.

Go with the advice of a wise old elder. Nothing new has come out since I've reached my verdicts. If a TW3 LDAC comes out, get it. Until then, this is good.

Use high quality music files and go back to enjoying your life and your listening time. Research time can be over now. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #513 of 547
BTW, the AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal Standard is not only the best sound and best comfort in my experience, it also comes with adapter sleeves specifically for fitting to Shure IEM stems.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #514 of 547
Hu,

Thank you for taking the time as well!
I can afford the TW2 - now it's only the question if I want to.
But the other option beeing the MW200 is about the same, so it doesnt really matter much.

I'm quite unsure, if I enjoyed having TWS, without a cable to pull one out quickly - this is probably unnecessary with transparent mode now.
On the other hand, I like to dangle both around my neck, so I dont have to store them away, when not in use for a short time?
(I always could add a string, I know).
What's your take on this?

Back in the day I compared many tips myself (teen, limited budget, with SE 215)
I settled on the comply foam tils, the former rounded/olive shape. They had a perfekt seal, and best low end. Mid a little too warm, highs missing - but i blamed the 215s for that (mostly).
Did you compare the crystal tips to those?
I do something similar to @Jaysound with my Shure SE846s (also have SE425 and SE535 so assuming they did not change the nozzles). I have two SE846s that I use as follows:

1. Shure SE846 (Gen 1) + Shure TW2 adapter - great sound, app, features and everything just works. I especially like having ambient. Selecting any model in the app will probably work as it just seems to change volume. When you want to take one out quickly, you can just leave dangling on your ears. I use the standard Shure black foams on this set (been using them since the SE530) as the foam tips help keep the earbuds from slipping out of my ear and breaking the seal.

2. Shure SE846 (Gen 2) wired + Qudelix 5k - better SQ without having to be tethered to my phone. I use with a Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 and Pixel 7 Pro (my main phones via LDAC), laptop, etc. I also use Azla SednaEarFit Crystal Standard tips on these. The tips come with the adapter for narrow 2mm nozzles like the ones Shure uses. I also use the wired set with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS on my desktop. I like having a wired and true wireless set so I don't have to swap cables.

I also have the BT2 in a box somewhere. I recall sound was fine to my ears via aptX HD but I hated the form factor (battery dangling in front). TW2 is much better in my opinion. I also have a LG V60 that I rarely use anymore. Just don't feel the need to be completely wired when on the go.

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #515 of 547
@Jaysound yes Sir. Time is short, thank you very much for yours! Will get the TW2s and try the ALZA tips.

@TK33 Thank you for chiming in as well!
I'm a little curious if I'll ever own a set of 846s. tbh, I'm afraid to try them - I might just like them :)

BR, have a pleasant week.
Talk to you soon

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #516 of 547
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time, I appreciate it!
If I may ask 2 more things:
In the past I used a fiio lcbt1 - I'm a little concerned with
a) wearing comfort. Sport, biking, rowing,...
b) how small can I pack it without damaging? // durability (Normally I roll my buds up and stash them in a pocket)

It's a pity that this seems to be such a market niche :/

Out of curiosity: did you compare UTWS3 to the UTWS5s?
I had those on my list as well, before i read about the charging issues. This is a complete dealbreaker for me, unfortunately. (i hate charging stuff already)

For any TWS I'd need to connect them with some kind of string (to dangle). That seems a little stupid though.

No problem, happy to help! I wish there were more options too, I don't want to deal with a cable getting caught when I'm on a ladder and potentially damaging my earbuds or Qudelix 5K. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of low-power, high-end audio chipsets available that can work in a neckband let alone a TWS adapter. With how popular mainstream TWS earbuds are you would think this wouldn't be the case but price is a huge factor so the demand for low-cost options ends up limiting the availability of high-end alternatives.

a) The MW200 is very comfortable, it sits well on my neck and stays put due to the shape and weight. One thing to keep in mind is that it's only IPX4 rated and the USB C charging port doesn't have a cover so water and sweat could get in there and corrode the contacts. I have other cheaper adapters and earbuds for when I'm active, I only use this around the house and at my business.
b) Not very small, I ended up getting a case meant for a pair of folding on-ear headphones to store it in. The glossy black plastic part is fairly large and the flexible rubber part is thick enough that you can't coil it up very tight. Personally I wouldn't store them wound up as I don't know how it will affect the rubber connecting piece.

If it was still available Hiby's WU1 would be perfect for your use case as it has two large pill-shaped pods with a thin, flexible wire between each pod. Their product page doesn't list whether it has water resistance or not but it does have a very secure cover over the USB C charging port so water and sweat shouldn't be an issue. I bought it before I got the MW200 and it was such an upgrade over my other BT adapters that it convinced me to get the MW200 since the WU1 wasn't in stock anywhere. They haven't removed it from their website (if you search) so I'm still hopeful that it may be available again but I'm not holding my breath. It's a little more annoying to deal with since the pods have a tendency to get lopsided and don't stay put but if I put them under my shirt it's not as much of an issue.

I have not compared the UTWS3 and UTWS5, by the time I got the UTWS3 and realized how much of an upgrade it was over what I had the UTWS5 wasn't available anymore. Even if it had still been available the charging pin problem would make me hesitate spending $140 on them as I got the UTWS3 for $60. From what I had seen the UTWS3 doesn't seem to have as many issues with the charging pins as the UTWS5 did, but the design is fairly similar so it might be that it's just less popular so not as many people are reporting problems. The one thing I really liked about the UTWS3 was the adjustable ear hooks that would hold their shape. Even though the adapter was large it still kept them behind my ears fairly well. Though for my ear size and shape TRN's BT30/BT20 Pro earhooks still felt more secure but you're giving up the dedicated amp so the sound quality will be noticeably reduced.

I haven't tried the TW2 but it looks pretty decent for your use case, one thing that seems to be an issue is the mic for calls due to where it's located. From what I've read Fiio's adapters have one of the best mics available for a TWS adapter but I haven't used it myself so I can't say for sure. Any neckband adapter is likely going to be better even with a lower quality mic due to the mic being closer to your mouth and not having to filter out background noise.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #517 of 547
@trevdawg94
Thanks for the details!

By the looks of the mw200 I was afraid it needed a lot of space - what a pity.

I guess it is a small market after all (at this price point).
\OT Not an economics guy here, I often wonder how all this many products get sold. As an electronics engineer I have an idea how much work the product design is

All the best with your utws3s! Hope they're holding up as long as you like them :)

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #519 of 547
1000152630.jpg

I wouldn't mind an update to the Little White. Modular cables? Love it and the form factor.

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #520 of 547
Looking for a wireless module for my Zero 2. Seems like the FiiO offerings are discontinued. KZ has a bunch of options, but reading several pages here, the usability is hit and miss.

Is there something around $75 USD that is worth buying?

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #521 of 547
Looking for a wireless module for my Zero 2. Seems like the FiiO offerings are discontinued. KZ has a bunch of options, but reading several pages here, the usability is hit and miss.

Is there something around $75 USD that is worth buying?
For about US$90, MoonDrop Little White seems like a good option.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #523 of 547
I will check that one out. Thanks!

Thoughts on the TRN BT30?

Edit: looking to go True wireless without the neckband. So thr moon drop would not be in the running.
If you are limited to TWS only, the real choices are between 1) iFi Audio Go Pod - super expensive for what it does but does delivery the best SQ of any TWS out there . 2) FiiO UTWS5 - the best balance between price vs SQ, and 3) everything else, usually decent but also unimpressive compared to 1 and 2.

Note that UTWS5 will be upgraded to UTWS5 2024 in July, according to FiiO, and will be priced around $140 or so, hence why it is out of stock on most places as production likely has stopped in anticipation of the replacement model.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #524 of 547
If you are limited to TWS only, the real choices are between 1) iFi Audio Go Pod - super expensive for what it does but does delivery the best SQ of any TWS out there . 2) FiiO UTWS5 - the best balance between price vs SQ, and 3) everything else, usually decent but also unimpressive compared to 1 and 2.

Note that UTWS5 will be upgraded to UTWS5 2024 in July, according to FiiO, and will be priced around $140 or so, hence why it is out of stock on most places as production likely has stopped in anticipation of the replacement model.
Thanks for the details. Guess I am trying to find the best of #3. It is quite the challenge. Reviews are all over the board.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #525 of 547
Just found this on Taobao: https://m.tb.cn/h.5E66HGv?tk=hIsfWNhiWPM

QCC3071 / QCC3081 based with LDAC support, unfortunately no external DAC/amp chip. It is however cheap enough to warrant a look at ($40~57). I'll probably pick one up just for the fun of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back