The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Jun 24, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #361 of 547
To be clear, 'stupid' was a self-own. I have been repeatedly found guilty of impulse purchases based on limited information and relying on a few glowing impressions.

@emlin was trying to cut me a little slack with bold -- thanks!

I don't really consider myself 'stupid', but it's easier to type than 'impatient/impetuous/impulsive' :)
My bad, totally sorry I didn’t get that, I wasn’t paying attention enough to who was posting what! I applaud your boldness…

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #363 of 547
Suggestions, please?

I've been loving the FiiO BTR5 with my Shure SE415s and the Shure cable with controls. But the cable management headache combined with the BTR5 on a cloth belt hitting buttons by accident while practicing tai chi and chi gong has become too much of a hassle.

I'm now on the hunt for BT for IEMs that either connect to each other with a cable (to wrap up for transport and hang on the neck when pausing, versus a solid band) or a BT cable-free set. In either case, I need over-ear form factor for stability while jumping around (occasionally play with kung fu), MMCX connectors, controls for volume up-down, track forward-back, and pause-play, and yes a mic so I can give Google Assisant verbal commands about the music and can answer a call on the fly (I don't care about mic quality since I always change to a dedicated phone BT device after answering a call).

I've been spoiled with LDAC with the BTR5. (I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, which has LDAC support, as did my prior Android phone.)

FiiO? Shure? Null-Audio? Something else?

My budget is up to about $250 I guess, if I must, though under $200 would be nice, too.

Thanks so much!

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #366 of 547
Another vote for the Shure TW2 adapters. I've had them for the past half year and absolutely love them with my SE846. SQ is great even over AAC codec, app is solid, ambient mode is fantastic (configurable ambient on pause in particular), and usability is perfect. They've pretty much satisfied my TWS itch. The only improvements I'd want are unrelated to the SQ and core experience: wireless charging and a more pocketable charging case.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #367 of 547
If it must be earhook, my recommendation goes to FiiO UTWS5.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #371 of 547
I didn't have a very positive experience with either the FiiO UTWS3 or UTWS5. I went through two replacements before I gave up and happily found the TW2. The FiiO hardware is great and everything seems perfect on paper, but the implementation, usability, and quality control were IMO lacking vs the Shure solution. If you only care about SQ or have a hard to drive IEM and can possibly deal with a few exchanges and fiddling, the FiiO options might be worthwhile. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend the TW2 instead.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #372 of 547
Unobtanium in the UK, allegedly because their distributor had too many returns.
Mine still works perfectly fine and I have one the the earliest batch.

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #373 of 547
I didn't have a very positive experience with either the FiiO UTWS3 or UTWS5. I went through two replacements before I gave up and happily found the TW2. The FiiO hardware is great and everything seems perfect on paper, but the implementation, usability, and quality control were IMO lacking vs the Shure solution. If you only care about SQ or have a hard to drive IEM and can possibly deal with a few exchanges and fiddling, the FiiO options might be worthwhile. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend the TW2 instead.
Are you suggesting SQ was superior with the FiiO vs Shure in your judgment?

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #374 of 547
Are you suggesting SQ was superior with the FiiO vs Shure in your judgment?
In practice, it was not noticeable to me. But, theoretically, yes.

On paper, the AMP and DAC in the UTWS5 are "better" than the TW2 hardware with stronger power output and better codec support. If you have a hard to drive IEM (the SE846 are not hard to drive), you might notice a difference in volume output or relative noise floor. Similarly, if you've convinced yourself you can audibly perceive differences between Bluetooth audio codecs and have a full AptX Adaptive signal path (few output devices support this codec), then maybe that will also improve SQ. The TW2 supports basic AptX and the UTWS5 supports AptX Adaptive. Adaptive requires the source to support it as well. It won't do the AptX HD equivalent unless your source can also negotiate that. Otherwise, it will just fall back to the same bitrate the basic AptX codec also available on the TW2 provides.

Now, all of this is moot for me, personally. The UTWS5 provided an awful usability experience. Ambient mode is poorly implemented. The magnetic switch in the charging case would sometimes randomly not "close" and result in the UTWS5 staying connected to my source device and draining overnight instead of charging. The FiiO app and firmware update process is a nerve-wracking mess that left one of my sets totally bricked. Managing device pairing with multiple devices is a nightmare. It's such a PITA to switch from, say, your phone to your laptop to do a work conference, etc. Shure NAILS the usability and that's what's ultimately most important to me.

If you're just sitting in a chair and doing critical listening, probably the usability aspect doesn't matter. But I use my TW2 when out and about, exercising, for work, etc. and they are light-years beyond the FiiO experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back