The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #346 of 547
The page for the OG Nyx is here. No announcement about the Nyx+ that I know of, their support only told me about it because I was reporting an issue with my cable.

I agree with your point about signal going through the head.
The remote will probably be the same and it does give volume and track control. It’s a much more convenient solution for movement-based practices than a BT receiver, especially for something like Tai Chi. For static strength work a receiver works reasonably well. I like that there is a cable linking the buds, it’s much more convenient than TWS where you have nowhere to stash the bud if you take it off the ear. For workouts I use Final’s ZE3000 TWS, which sound crazy good, and fit better than the Nyx which has some stiffness and makes me fiddle. That being said, my wife uses the Nyx with her whole body spinning at hyper speed, or upside down, with no issue!

I often found myself using the Nyx and thinking to myself I really wasn’t missing anything compared to the 5K. The Qudelix is great but the integrated ES9218/9 uses a well-optimized class D amp if I’m not mistaken. The DAC chip in the Nyx is nothing special, possibly Qualcomm’s own, which is decent since you don’t need DSD capabilities for BT gear, but they have managed to cram a class A amp in there and that makes a big difference. Class A but with huge battery life! I would be curious in a comparison between the Nyx and Hiby’s R5II.
Also Null Audio are proper cable makers and have a very nice customer service, which is also why I am talking about the Nyx+. After I got in touch they installed a special connector at no extra charge for compatibility with my IMR iems.
And breathe...

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #347 of 547
Is anyone able to comment on how SQ compares between BTR5 and UTWS5? And maybe also Nyx+?

Note that I like my music to be as clean as possible. That's why I opted for the Shure SE425. I had tried the SE525 and the bass boost ruined the SQ for me. (Yes, I know there are better IEMs that are still clean -- haven't had the budget yet.)

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #348 of 547
Is anyone able to comment on how SQ compares between BTR5 and UTWS5? And maybe also Nyx+?

Note that I like my music to be as clean as possible. That's why I opted for the Shure SE425. I had tried the SE525 and the bass boost ruined the SQ for me. (Yes, I know there are better IEMs that are still clean -- haven't had the budget yet.)
It would be great if we had accurate measurements for all of these products. Like watts RMS, output impedance, FR, distortion. You know, the things that actually matter.

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #349 of 547
Hmph. One might want to check out the reviews on the UTWS5 (MMCX anyway) on Amazon. Many people say SQ is good but say everything else is bad enough to stay away.

(I wonder why I don't see the Nyx on Amazon, or maybe search can't find it buried under all the Nyx makeup products.)

If Nyx+ is ready for purchase, a link, please?

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #350 of 547
Hmph. One might want to check out the reviews on the UTWS5 (MMCX anyway) on Amazon. Many people say SQ is good but say everything else is bad enough to stay away.

(I wonder why I don't see the Nyx on Amazon, or maybe search can't find it buried under all the Nyx makeup products.)

No link yet I’m afraid, it hasn’t yet been officially launched.
I don’t think it will be on Amazon, it seems like it’s distributed through Null and their distributors directly, like their regular cables. I know Zeppelin carry a bunch of their cables, but that’s in Singapore too. Otherwise you can check their Where to Buy page, but the best bet would be to ask Null directly.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #351 of 547

I've probably been as big a fanboy of the UTWS5 as anyone here -- I really like the sound quality I get from them paired with my iBasso IT07s.

I read all 8 of the one, two and three star reviews on Amazon. Kind of hit-or-miss in terms of validity:

Old complaints about ambient which have been fixed
- works fine for me now
2 complaints about about not charging in case
- I haven't had this happen to me, but maybe I'm just lucky
Several complaints about stealing BT connection when in case and supposedly not connected
- I've probably never run into this as I don't connect something else to my phone
Complaints about the FiiO control app on Apple
- My iPhone won't run the app (old iPhone 6 won't run iOS 13) but it's fine on my iPad, just as good as on my Android DAP

The vast majority of my use is BT audio from my FiiO M15 or iPad or a Windows 10 laptop, with a smaller amount of use with my iPhone for both calls and music.

So I'm not really qualified to comment on UTWS5's suitability as a phone headset. But I think they offer top-tier sound quality when paired with good IEMs.

BTW, I couldn't find Nyx on Amazon either. Lots of Null Audio, and lots of Nyx (makeup) but no Null Audio Nyx.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #352 of 547
Thanks. I didn't realize there were only 8 of the one, tow, and three-star reviews. I should have looked at the quantity and not just the percent. At that low of a number, a certain common technical issue comes to mind that could easily account for most of those bad reviews (I don't recall the term but I think it rhymes with "loser terror").

So, any idea how SQ of the UTWS5 compares to the BTR5?

(And any psychic "guess" about how those will compare with the Nyx+?)

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #353 of 547
Thanks. I didn't realize there were only 8 of the one, tow, and three-star reviews. I should have looked at the quantity and not just the percent. At that low of a number, a certain common technical issue comes to mind that could easily account for most of those bad reviews (I don't recall the term but I think it rhymes with "loser terror").

So, any idea how SQ of the UTWS5 compares to the BTR5?

(And any psychic "guess" about how those will compare with the Nyx+?)
Sorry, never heard BRT5. And I'm waiting for the Nyx+. I'll probably get one to use with my 2-pin Penon Volts.

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #355 of 547
I've probably been as big a fanboy of the UTWS5 as anyone here -- I really like the sound quality I get from them paired with my iBasso IT07s.

I read all 8 of the one, two and three star reviews on Amazon. Kind of hit-or-miss in terms of validity:

Old complaints about ambient which have been fixed
- works fine for me now
2 complaints about about not charging in case
- I haven't had this happen to me, but maybe I'm just lucky
Several complaints about stealing BT connection when in case and supposedly not connected
- I've probably never run into this as I don't connect something else to my phone
Complaints about the FiiO control app on Apple
- My iPhone won't run the app (old iPhone 6 won't run iOS 13) but it's fine on my iPad, just as good as on my Android DAP

The vast majority of my use is BT audio from my FiiO M15 or iPad or a Windows 10 laptop, with a smaller amount of use with my iPhone for both calls and music.

So I'm not really qualified to comment on UTWS5's suitability as a phone headset. But I think they offer top-tier sound quality when paired with good IEMs.

BTW, I couldn't find Nyx on Amazon either. Lots of Null Audio, and lots of Nyx (makeup) but no Null Audio Nyx.
Forgot to mention one complaint that volume was too low -- not true for me. With my IT07s, UTWS5s can play 'way too loud'. When I turn them all the way up, comfortable volume on the M15 is about 20 (max volume is 120). So I don't know what the reviewer was experiencing -- super inefficient IEMs? low output volume on his source? defective?

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #356 of 547
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #359 of 547
I went to buy the Nyx BT5 on the Null-Audio website but reviews say the computer voice is in Chinese. Is that still the case now?
I ordered two, one had the English voice, the other is Asian. Not a problem, it’s just two cues, one for on/off, the other for connection, I just recognize them and the voice is too cute. In the Order section you can add a comment to request that they check the language.

I don’t get the posts calling people stupid, the Nyx+ is basically the Nyx with a better BT chipset. If you need reviews there are 54 of them on Null Audio’s website, not all of them glowing, maybe start there.

Jun 24, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #360 of 547
I ordered two, one had the English voice, the other is Asian. Not a problem, it’s just two cues, one for on/off, the other for connection, I just recognize them and the voice is too cute. In the Order section you can add a comment to request that they check the language.

I don’t get the posts calling people stupid, the Nyx+ is basically the Nyx with a better BT chipset. If you need reviews there are 54 of them on Null Audio’s website, not all of them glowing, maybe start there.
To be clear, 'stupid' was a self-own. I have been repeatedly found guilty of impulse purchases based on limited information and relying on a few glowing impressions.

@emlin was trying to cut me a little slack with bold -- thanks!

I don't really consider myself 'stupid', but it's easier to type than 'impatient/impetuous/impulsive' :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back