The "truth" about different speaker cables
Jan 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #226 of 309
tohenk2, you might have great hearing, and I bet a lot of people who come here once thought/still think they have better than average hearing, when it doesn't have to be the case.

But knowing that what you hear depends on a lot of things, you can't always take conclusions and blame the reason for change to some piece of equipment when your mood, bias, even placebo also take place into your perception of music.

Regarding the forgetting about >20KHz it has to do with the recording. The majority of them are recorded with a sample rate of 44.1Khz, and just in case you don't know:

Quote:

Origins of 44.1 kHz sampling

The highest frequency that a human ear can detect is approximately
20,000 Hz. The compact disc was designed with the capability to contain
the full audible range, and thus overcome the limitations of previous
consumer-level audio carriers. The provable Nyquist–Shannon sampling
theorem states that when quantizing a signal of a given bandwidth
(20 kHz in this case, 0 - 20 kHz), in order to be able to reproduce the
original waveform perfectly from the digitized information, the sampling
rate used in the quantization has to be more than twice the amount of
bandwidth. Thus, the sample rate needed to be over 40 kHz. As real-world
components do not adhere to the ideal situation behind the theorem, and
CD players designed with even lower-class analogue components might
not achieve desired results (producing audible distortion), the sampling
rate was raised well over the ideal minimum requirement.

BTW, i haven't rejected the possibility of you having great hearing capabilities.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #227 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tohenk2, you might have great hearing, and I bet a lot of people who come here once thought/still think they have better than average hearing, when it doesn't have to be the case.

Oh - I don't think so. Just more sensitive to (some of) the higher frequencies then average.

Quote:

But knowing that what you hear depends on a lot of things, you can't always take conclusions and blame the reason for change to some piece of equipment when your mood, bias, even placebo also take place into your perception of music.

All quite true. The same effect as in tasting a wine on a pleasantly sunny vacation. Might be quite something else once you're at home in the cold.
But there is no denying that I can hear some things that bother me while other people are not so affected. Now the cause may be a point of discussion, maybe I'm oversensitive, maybe others not so (understatement) depending on the viewpoint. I even think everyone hears it -since the machine probably does not make other noises for me alone- but places a different value on it? (Kind of like the difference between hearing and understanding.) No matter, what follows is more to the point:

Quote:

Regarding the forgetting about >20KHz it has to do with the recording. The majority of them are recorded with a sample rate of 44.1Khz, and just in case you don't know:

BTW, i haven't rejected the possibility of you having great hearing capabilities.

I did not take that in account since there are such things as vinyl, SACD etc. and cables just as readily have to convey those signals as well. Please help me out of my dream if those are also likewise limited by the recordingtechnique or format.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #228 of 309
BTW - I have special interconnects. And yes I did hear a difference. But! I think it has more to do with the contact (mm2) then that of the cable itself. I think that since those contacts are of a higher quality - namely not loose since the diameter is adjustable. And more resistant against corosion, but that more longterm.

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #229 of 309
^Bump. So that this thread doesn't get lost in these forums. After all it is a good read. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #230 of 309
Indeed.

Btw, since the article doesn't mention DBT, can it be posted in the cable forum? :D
Preferrably as closed sticky.

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #231 of 309
haha :D I guess it could. What could be done could be stickied to this part of the forums.

Quote:
Indeed.

Btw, since the article doesn't mention DBT, can it be posted in the cable forum? :D
Preferrably as closed sticky.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #233 of 309
Sticky?

What a great conflagration of confusion to greet the newbies that visit this forum.

My vote is to keep it right where it is.  We don't need any more religious wars
beyersmile.png

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #234 of 309
X2

Quote:
Sticky?

What a great conflagration of confusion to greet the newbies that visit this forum.

My vote is to keep it right where it is.  We don't need any more religious wars
beyersmile.png

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #235 of 309
Religious war? No, the issue is intentionally, knowingly and cynically muddied by those who profit from selling the emperor his new clothes.

If a few dollars of materials and a fairy tale made your mortgage payment, wouldn't you do the same?

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #236 of 309
Do headphone cables count as speaker cables, or would that be considered aggrandizement?

"Yeah, well your speakers are nothing more than aggrandized headphones."

I lit this candle and the headphone cables are in the mail.  They'll arrive early next week.  The fabric of the Universe is going be ripped and there will be a disruption of the space time continuum as all the forces in the world can't stop the US Mail.

To all, I'm sorry.

(
duggehsmile.png
)

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #237 of 309
The real story is more like:

"The fabric of your wallet is going to be ripped and there will be a "black" hole in your bank account, as all the mumbo-jumbo won't change how physics work"

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Do headphone cables count as speaker cables, or would that be considered aggrandizement?

"Yeah, well your speakers are nothing more than aggrandized headphones."

I lit this candle and the headphone cables are in the mail.  They'll arrive early next week.  The fabric of the Universe is going be ripped and there will be a disruption of the space time continuum as all the forces in the world can't stop the US Mail.

To all, I'm sorry.

(
duggehsmile.png
)

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #238 of 309

Quote:
Religious war? No, the issue is intentionally, knowingly and cynically muddied by those who profit from selling the emperor his new clothes.

If a few dollars of materials and a fairy tale made your mortgage payment, wouldn't you do the same?

Yup. Psychoacoustics is one of the most exploitable traits of humans :) It is so easy to make people 'hear' a difference, research proved that many times. This intentional and cynical smoke-screen that surrounds cable discussions reminds me of calls like 'teach the controversy!' in biology classes, where the 'controversy' is between openly dumb believers of 6000 year old earth and modern biochemistry :) In case of biology, however, widespread retardism tends to be 'cured' in courts, including the Supreme Court of the U.S., where bull is officially certified and approved as being bull and not a grandma's cake. In case of audio, unfortunately, there is no such unified interest groups to debunk all sorts of crap, and alchemists are given green light not only to openly promote their fraudulent claims, but even censor the critical attitude, as Head-fi 'blind testing free cable forum' shows.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #239 of 309

Quote:
Uncle Erik said:

No, the issue is intentionally, knowingly and cynically muddied by those who profit from selling the emperor his new clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup. Psychoacoustics is one of the most exploitable traits of humans :) It is so easy to make people 'hear' a difference, research proved that many times. This intentional and cynical smoke-screen that surrounds cable discussions reminds me of calls like 'teach the controversy!' in biology classes, where the 'controversy' is between openly dumb believers of 6000 year old earth and modern biochemistry :) In case of biology, however, widespread retardism tends to be 'cured' in courts, including the Supreme Court of the U.S., where bull is officially certified and approved as being bull and not a grandma's cake. In case of audio, unfortunately, there is no such unified interest groups to debunk all sorts of crap, and alchemists are given green light not only to openly promote their fraudulent claims, but even censor the critical attitude, as Head-fi 'blind testing free cable forum' shows.

Okay, now I know I shouldn't have wandered into the Sound Science forum - so much anger and resentment around here!. But I'd just like to be clear on something. Who are you two accusing of deliberate, cynical and fraudulent claims in order to gain financially?

I assume it's the manufacturers by default. But are you making the same accusation to fellow head-fiers - all the ones that don't agree with you? Maybe the Moderators for prohibiting DBTs? If yes, then you are so out of order it's mindnumbing to even think about it.

If it is the manufacturers. Why don't you just publicly accuse them? Choose one of the established companies like Nordost or MIT? I wonder how far you'd get before being successfully sued for slander.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #240 of 309
Bullseye wrote:

The real story is more like:

"The fabric of your wallet is going to be ripped and there will be a "black" hole in your bank account, as all the mumbo-jumbo won't change how physics work"

Far cheaper than marriage and raising children, wouldn't you say?

(Shame there's no whistling headphone emoticon to be used.)

beerchug.gif

dexter3D wrote:

but even censor the critical attitude, as Head-fi 'blind testing free cable forum' shows.

Let's see, there's what, one DBT free forum where cable guys can go and chat, free from harassment.  If the DBT free forum list is but one of many listed forums, wouldn't it be fair to characterize your above.....as "aggrandizement?"

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back