The "truth" about different speaker cables
Jul 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #196 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... if it doesn't match your preconception about things you will simply not accept it as evidence?

Yes.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #197 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... if it doesn't match your preconception about things you will simply not accept it as evidence?

Yes, that's right. We learned this from the objectivists.
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #199 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch. You know, words can hurt sometimes...

Tell me about it. You have to develop a pretty thick skin to post on this sub-forum as a "subjectivist."
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #200 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me about it. You have to develop a pretty thick skin to post on this sub-forum as a "subjectivist."
wink.gif

The vast majority of "subjectivists" don't feel a need to discuss the matter. They use their ears, they hear differences, end of story. Personally I don't think it's that simple.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #201 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The vast majority of "subjectivists" don't feel a need to discuss the matter. They use their ears, they hear differences, end of story. Personally I don't think it's that simple.

I agree it's not that simple. But I also suspect that a lot of "subjectivists" get tired of being told that their beliefs or opinions are comparable to a belief in aliens or that the earth is flat, and decide not to participate in discussions that routinely get somewhat "unfriendly."

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #202 of 309
Quote:

Yes, that's right. We learned this from the objectivists.
icon10.gif

Quote:

I agree it's not that simple. But I also suspect that a lot of "subjectivists" get tired of being told that their beliefs or opinions are comparable to a belief in aliens or that the earth is flat, and decide not to participate in discussions that routinely get somewhat "unfriendly."

Is that so?

Then, to start, don't confuse empiricism with Randian Objectivism, as that would be just plain wrong.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #203 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that so?

Then, to start, don't confuse empiricism with Randian Objectivism, as that would be just plain wrong.

I disagree with you. I think only 4,373 angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #204 of 309
Quote:

I disagree with you. I think only 4,373 angels can dance on the head of a pin.

What does that have to do with the difference between empiricism of the sort Locke and Hume discussed and the objectivism that Ayn Rand wrote about? One is an epistemological position, the other an atheoretic political worldview.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #206 of 309
Quote:

Totally. No one wants to hear that their opinions could be wrong. I used to correct people's erroneous statements, until I realized that even if I showed them the most convincing evidence they just didn't want to be wrong. This is how people are--it's part of the human brain's defense mechanism. Healthy people will always be emotionally attached to strongly held opinions. Being right is vital to people's self-esteem. Google "depressive realism studies" for some fun reading...

I'm not saying that you are wrong, PhilS. Just saying that you could be. So could I. The important thing is that we try to find the truth.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #208 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally. No one wants to hear that their opinions could be wrong.

That's not really the problem. The problem is how it is said. Lots of people don't mind: "I think you're wrong. Here's why." Few appreciate:
"You have no evidence whatsoever your position. You might as well believe in aliens."

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #209 of 309
Quote:

That's not really the problem. The problem is how it is said. Lots of people don't mind: "I think you're wrong. Here's why." Few appreciate:
"You have no evidence whatsoever your position. You might as well believe in aliens."

How do you know that interstellar aliens don't exist?

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #210 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know that interstellar aliens don't exist?

If you're trying to be funny, then LOL.
biggrin.gif

If you're being serious, then you're not really listening to what I'm trying to say.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back