The Tests: Balancing Portable Headphones And The Results
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #46 of 74
someone in the diy forum made a balanced DIY amp that is not large at all its very sexy.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #47 of 74
Balanced PortaPros. Nice!
biggrin.gif

I like the spirit of this thread for sure. More please...

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #49 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digital Audio Player (this is your Ipod, Sansa Fuze, etc...). Most have a built in volume control so a pot on the amp is actually a bit redundant (it is a bit safer, though).

I prefer having the control on the amp over the source. Besides digital volume controls regardless on the devices it's on can be noisy. :< Digital volume controls make me a sad panda.

P.S. I haven't heard them called DAP yet (that a new one).

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #50 of 74
Btw can you take two identical stereo single ended headphone amplifiers and use them as 'mono blocks', I mean feeding some balanced output's Left + and - into Amp1 L and R, then balanced Right + and - into Amp2 L and R and driving the balanced headphone from Amp1 and 2's output? Is this a stupid idea? (I guess so...)

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw can you take two identical stereo single ended headphone amplifiers and use them as 'mono blocks', I mean feeding some balanced output's Left + and - into Amp1 L and R, then balanced Right + and - into Amp2 L and R and driving the balanced headphone from Amp1 and 2's output? Is this a stupid idea? (I guess so...)

Technically it would work, though it's not a particularly elegant solution for portable use.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically it would work, though it's not a particularly elegant solution for portable use.
wink.gif

Two FiiO E5s are quite small, you just need a small DAC with balanced output
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously I'm thinking about this for desktops rather.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #53 of 74
Guys well I'm very torn now. I have the funds to either complete the order for a SR-325is or a DT880 (600Ohm). Let me know which one you'd want me to do next. Just so you know I will be buying one of them. I'd prefer the DT880 though.

As an update about the PortaPro I noticed the bass was actually much tighter sounding to my ears. The way I noticed this was by listening to it for an hour in balanced mode, them swapping over to SE mode and the bass became flabby and exaggerated.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #54 of 74
beyers.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #55 of 74
hm.. so tempting... OK bought SR-325is's!! I will get beyers later on for the test OK?

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #56 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logwed, you don't live that far from me, would you be willing to pick them up for me? You're like 10 minutes from me right?

Yeah, I'll try to grab a pair for you. I was planning on using them to practice recabling, if I ever got into DIY.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #57 of 74
Wait, so why would you like to give 1.8W to some headphones when to listen to ear shattering levels you need around 100mW (more or less, depends on each HP)??

EDIT: Less, I think it is.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #58 of 74
Yeah, sorry bout the typo. I meant to say you could put up to 1.8W into each phone. Still though this amp is quite powerful for the price you pay.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #59 of 74
UPDATE!!

Balanced SR-325is:
What can I say? I'm a Grado man myself and these phones needed a good new cable (I hate the Grado stock cables). Ah the new cable is much more flexible now. So I gues I should get to the sound.

Well the main improvement was the increased bass control and tightness. Bass is very tight and defined. Much better than stock. The sound is more detailed and far more transparent sounding. The sound sounds a bit fuller and a tad smoother. The whole frequency range is improved.

Pictures will be in the first post.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #60 of 74
Sorry if I'm triple posting, but what should I balance next guys?

Perhaps PX100, HARX700, PRO3AA, K99? Please let me know. Even suggest ones I didn't list.

I'll even buy them used off of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back