The Tests: Balancing Portable Headphones And The Results
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I got curious today and decided to balance my KTXPRO1. I know this is very impractical and not worth it considering the price of the phone itself. Though I was surprised that balancing made a decent improvement to SQ.

The bass has gotten even tighter than before in single ended mode and also has a little bit more depth/impact to it. Highs are smoothened out and not tin like they were before. Mids sound a little fuller and smoother but detailing is about the same. The soundstage is about the same to me as it was before though.

These are probably due to the fact that the amp is in "super" control of the headphone and is pushing a ton of power into it. I mean it's being driven by a Roc and is capable of putting 1.8W into this portable phone. Now the improvements weren't major, but were indeed noticeable and worth it IMHO.

Well next week I'll be balancing some SR-225i's once they arrive. I'll be doing experiments with other phones as well, so if you guys want me to balance some phones and test them out, let me know. This will be a way to see what phones improve the most.

[size=medium]Other Balanced Phones:[/size]
[size=medium]1)[/size] [size=medium]PortaPro[/size]
[size=medium]2) Creative Buds[/size]
[size=medium]3) SR-325is[/size]

Also you'll notice some electrical tape where I cut off the silver cable and soldered this on directly. I know this is not fare to the test but, I could not open the KTXPRO1 since I glued them she the last time I opened them up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

23560d1260421524-fs-ft-balanced-recabled-koss-ur40-60-dsci0052.jpg

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 74
It's 4-Pin balanced, and yes it's the same as dual 3-Pin, just more convenient for me.

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 74
Thanks for sharing!
Would have looked a lot cleaner if the new cable went all the way into the cups. But apart from that is looks nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was only balanced when there were two XLRs?

You may need to reconsider that thought... (Hint: 4-pin XLR)
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 74
haha That's quite awesome in a special kind of way. ;P
Um can you try out some AKGs and Sennheiser (maybe the HD437 [maybe the low end will improve ;D]) [and others people don't balancing]. Well regardless what you chose next, I can't wait.

As a tangent, why isn't the 4 Pin XLR the balanced standard? They make life similar as you only have one plug to worry about.

P.S. I don't think balancing Skullcandy's will make them any better ;P

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was only balanced when there were two XLRs?

Many people prefer 4-pin for the convenience. Some even go so far as to question how dual 3-pin came into existence! Personally (with never having any balanced equipment), I think that dual 3-pin looks cool, but I can definitely see the usefulness of the other layout.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 74
so, wait.
Did these have the new cable before you balanced them?

Because a recable might have caused the described effects as well.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 74
They do have some of the old silver cable left on, but only and inch or two.

krmathis: this won't be permanent though, just seeing what the effects would be.

I do have a PortPro and can balance those if you guys wanted. Also I have some Creative buds I can balance as well. If anyone is willing to send me Ibuds I can balance them to try out. So yeah if you guys are willing to send some phones for me to balance for this test let me know.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have a PortPro and can balance those if you guys wanted. Also I have some Creative buds I can balance as well. If anyone is willing to send me Ibuds I can balance them to try out. So yeah if you guys are willing to send some phones for me to balance for this test let me know.

That might be interesting. I can't wait
biggrin.gif
I might send you my Sennheisers after my AKG K240M's come. The mechanism is sloppy anyway (AKGs are to replace them). I'd always thought they are lacking something [maybe you can give it more life, heh maybe].

Tangent: Didn't some of the earlier K240's sold in Europe come with a 4 pin connector? If so why did they ever stop?

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 74
I'll balance the PortaPro/Creative buds later on. I wanted to put a new cable on the anyways.

TheKisho: Which Sennheiser's do you have? I'd be interested for sure. If it's the HD485 those will have to have a whole new cable assembly put it (not trouble to me, but time consuming).

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 74
At my school, the librarian sells a pair of earbuds for $1 each. They are literally painful to listen to. Let us balance these $1 earbuds (my friends and I call them the Wendling 420's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back