The Tests: Balancing Portable Headphones And The Results
Oct 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 74
Mine is the HD437. From a quick glance at the HD485, it's different wiring setup. That's a single entry while mine and related are dual entry.
Related: HD202, HD212 Pro, HD408, HD457, HD477, HD497

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At my school, the librarian sells a pair of earbuds for $1 each. They are literally painful to listen to. Let us balance these $1 earbuds (my friends and I call them the Wendling 420's)

Are they anything like the $0.60 [estimated] ear buds sold in the cheapest FM radios at RadioShack/The Source? [$2-$5 radio ;D (Probably just as bad)]

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 74
They're probably one and the same.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 74
Logwed, you don't live that far from me, would you be willing to pick them up for me? You're like 10 minutes from me right?

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 74
Well I balanced the PortaPro and albeit the end result was less than the KTXPRO1.

Balanced PortaPro:
Bass on the PortaPro was over exaggerated to begin with, but with balancing it did improve it somewhat. The bass become slightly tighter and more defined.

Mids were slightly more detailed and clearer sounding. But there remained this "haze" to them.

Highs improved very little and were drowned out by the bass. The one thing I did notice is that the highs were slightly more extended.

Transparency was improved a little bit, but barely noticeable.

Soundstage improvement was so tiny, it's hard to tell.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 74
Weird. I wonder what is so special about the KTXPRO1 that you had such an improvement compared to the PortaPro and albeit. I still like to see what other headphones people don't balance that could benefit the most from being balanced. I commend you for your testing.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #22 of 74
Yeah no probs. The PortaPro did sound more balanced in the end and slightly more dynamic.

The KTXPRO1 has a Titanium coating on the driver's which may have been what made it sound different. I know the Titanium makes the headphones brighter. The other thing is that a balanced KTXPRO1's bass sound similar to K701/K702 bass. It's that much more tight sounding. Now it is not nearly as tight as K70X, but a major improvement over it's previous bass.

Balanced Creative Buds:
Not much testing cold be done... they blew out on my Roc.... It must have put too much power into them. They worked for around a minute then I heard a pop in each driver then no sound.. lol. I guess they can't handle much power.

The improvements were really nothing. If anything it sounded more in focus with tighter bass, but that's about it really.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #23 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced Creative Buds:
Not much testing cold be done... they blew out on my Roc.... It must have put too much power into them. They worked for around a minute then I heard a pop in each driver then no sound.. lol. I guess they can't handle much power.

Um I guess earbuds are out of the question. (or other micro-speakers)

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #24 of 74
They did fare well at all, totally blew out quickly. I believe that is cause balanced mode gives you double the power to each driver.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They did fare well at all, totally blew out quickly. I believe that is cause balanced mode gives you double the power to each driver.

Well least they were not worth a whole lot. Hope they didn't pop too loud while you were wearing them. [If they lasted long enough to get in your ears].

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #27 of 74
Wanted to add that I uploaded a picture of the balanced PortaPro to my first post.

I didn't take a picture of the Creative Buds since they blew and I had no batteries charged. So I pulled the plug off and tossed them in the Garbage.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #28 of 74
Thanks Zombie_X for having the guts to do this.
beerchug.gif
It's very interesting to see how far down the food chain balancing can still have a positive effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKisho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still like to see what other headphones people don't balance that could benefit the most from being balanced. I commend you for your testing.

I balanced my Sennheiser HD 555's with very similar, positive results that Zombie_X had. Tightened bass, improved detail. And I'm not running a high-end amp either--it's just a hacked together balanced a47.
biggrin.gif

If somebody could figure out how to do a cheap quad. pot, a diy'r with some gumption could probably come up with a balanced PortaPro/balanced CMoy setup that sounds pretty killer for the money.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If somebody could figure out how to do a cheap quad. pot, a diy'r with some gumption could probably come up with a balanced PortaPro/balanced CMoy setup that sounds pretty killer for the money.
evil_smiley.gif

All I can think is to use the ALPs 4 channel volume control but that's a little big to cram into a portable device but it can be done, not sure how cheap that pot was last time I checked. Dual two channel controlled by motor probably isn't possible at that size. Haha I once seen a quadraphonic amplifier with dual stereo pots and gearing to control both as one, or one at a time. Could try gearing ;P

It can be done. Best bet is cram the 4 channel ALPs pot in there sideways and fill the remaining space with the amp. The case limitations would be the width/height of the pot (the case can't be any thinner then that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back