The swing of things…
Jun 7, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #136 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked this up over the weekend. Kind of ashamed I didn't already have it but the legacy has nice sound and some cool extras. Really dig his style.

Good call. Mingus Ah Um turned my world upside down once upon a time and I still consider it on the very short list of contenders for greatest jazz recording ever.

I've been doing deep tracks on Art Pepper lately - this is my favorite:
51LhqDzIQVL._SS500_.jpg

Glad to see this thread come back.

-Jim

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #137 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked this up over the weekend. Kind of ashamed I didn't already have it but the legacy has nice sound and some cool extras. Really dig his style.

61kSc7iIzBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I've heard people talk about that music like it's protest fare that's hard to listen to or something…never understood that. Parts of it are just so good-timey.

And 251, I've been hearing that Art Pepper's widow is about to release some more of his previously unreleased stuff. The label's called (wait for it)…Widow's Taste.

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #138 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And 251, I've been hearing that Art Pepper's widow is about to release some more of his previously unreleased stuff. The label's called (wait for it)…Widow's Taste.

I know about the widow thing but I'm pretty heavy on Art so I don't have any yet - maybe at some point...

Here is what has me just hootin' tonight - so incredible to hear Zoot sing while Brookmeyer comps... The entire recording is as good, and fun, as it gets. To the newbs, I say bypass "Kind Of Blue" and just go for this!

41NXB9N6V7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Peace.

-Jim

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #139 of 193
I dunno…this tenor kid JD Allen seems to be hitting his stride. Shine, his latest, makes two fine discs in as many years.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #141 of 193
I just gave a friend a vinyl copy of what ranks among my favorite vocal albums, Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man and Other Billie Holiday Classics. The LP I gave had a shorter title, though: Yesterdays. It seems that a small independent label called Harmony licensed it from Columbia in the late '60s and put a new title on it. Found it on eBay for $5. Either way, my friend has been quite happy with it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #143 of 193
Quote:

I just gave a friend a vinyl copy of what ranks among my favorite vocal albums, Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man and Other Billie Holiday Classics. The LP I gave had a shorter title, though: Yesterdays. It seems that a small independent label called Harmony licensed it from Columbia in the late '60s and put a new title on it. Found it on eBay for $5. Either way, my friend has been quite happy with it.
biggrin.gif

I have both versions you speak of and would insist that it's on the short list of the best of Carmen McRae. I have ~24 recordings of the tune "Yesterdays" and IMO Carmen's on this release owns them all. Great stuff. LOL, for the longest time I thought Zoot played the (undocumented) Tenor solo but years later, internet in hand, I discover it was Eddie Lockjaw Davis. Boy, talk about defining "in the groove..."

OK, I'll offer up this forever-OOP gem and see if anyone recognizes it. It's just 6 saxes and rhythm section and great charts. It sat in my library as old scratchy vinyl for about 25 years until I sent it away to be profesionally restored/remastered. It came back awesome and I discovered I could still scat it note for note. Scary and joyful...

budshanksaxsection.jpg

Best to all,
Jim aka 251

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #147 of 193
Question for 251, because I noticed that Stan Getz is your signature: Do you know a live Getz album from the '70s with Joanne Brackeen and Billy Hart on it? Is it any good? A friend found some LPs on the street, and that was one of them. I wasn't familiar with it, but of course, I'm curious to hear Joanne with Stan.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #148 of 193
Quote:

Question for 251, because I noticed that Stan Getz is your signature: Do you know a live Getz album from the '70s with Joanne Brackeen and Billy Hart on it? Is it any good? A friend found some LPs on the street, and that was one of them. I wasn't familiar with it, but of course, I'm curious to hear Joanne with Stan.

I don't have it (one of the few) mostly because the 70s was my least fave of Stan's decades. Frankly I didn't know JB was on that date and might get curious as well.

It's available on CD on Steeplechase in 2 versions - 1) is 2 CDs, "Live At Montmartre, Vol. 1" and "Vol. 2" $20 each via Amazon. The second version is called "Stan's Party" and is a single CD ~$25ish. Both have audio samples, not sure of the differences if any...

Sorry I'm not more help.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back