The swing of things…
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 193

tru blu

Headphoneus Supremus
I dunno…I'm feeling like jazz threads have slowed down considerably around here…is that what happens between Miles Davis and John Coltrane reissues?
wink_face.gif

Anyway, has anyone heard any new jazz they really dig, or recently discovered something they didn't know before? We're all ears (no pun intended)…

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 193
Well, it's not at all new music and I've been a Peterson and Milt Jackson fan for some time, but I recently came across this SACD:

tel-83443.jpg

It's been in heavy rotation for the past week or so and I've just been loving it.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been in heavy rotation for the past week or so and I've just been loving it.

Awesome! Thanx for getting the ball rolling. I'm guessing you already have Very Tall, the first Jackson/Brown/Peterson collaboration from 1961? If not, treat yourself, though it's probably not on SACD.
beyersmile.png

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 193
as much as i would like to listen to jazz, i can never seem to just sit and listen too it,

it seems to be an unsually unpopular genre, having said that i can probs count the pieces ive heard on my fingers

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 193
no you miss undersatand,

i want to learn to like jazz, i love classical music, took me a while to get into that, but now i have and i adore it,

i see jazz as the same

and why i think its unpopular.. i only know of one person who likes it

edt [to save a new post]
my bad, ill leave you guys to it

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 193
I agree with Al4x, it's a tough genre for me to just sit and enjoy also.

I definitely want to check out Tim Berne now.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 193
Plunging into jazz is good and all but it can be seen hard and complicated to get right into Keith Jarrett or Pat Metheny. I'm no expert in Jazz but I'm an avid listener, and I guess the trick is to find the right jazz that fits your taste. There are many types of jazz now days than in the past and it's more easier to find the jazz that interests you whether it'd be lounge, electrical, New Orleans, or good ol' swing. Once you do, you're bound to get into more sophisticated pieces and get to know more about old and new artists.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plunging into jazz is good and all but it can be seen hard and complicated to get right into Keith Jarrett or Pat Metheny. I'm no expert in Jazz but I'm an avid listener, and I guess the trick is to find the right jazz that fits your taste. There are many types of jazz now days than in the past and it's more easier to find the jazz that interests you whether it'd be lounge, electrical, New Orleans, or good ol' swing. Once you do, you're bound to get into more sophisticated pieces and get to know more about old and new artists.

I saw Pat Metheny at the Jazz festival in Montreal. For all the hype, and spotlight treatment he received I was disappointed. But happily, I thought the band who was with him were fantastic. That was a fun festival, so much free live shows and the variety of music is incredibly. They do a good job of show casing an international music festival. And the pay to see shows were only about $20, just a lot of fun.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as i would like to listen to jazz, i can never seem to just sit and listen too it,

it seems to be an unsually unpopular genre, having said that i can probs count the pieces ive heard on my fingers

Jazz isn't the easiest genre to get into. I slid in unexpectedly. When I got my FM tuner a few years back, the local jazz station came in strong and sounded great. So I started listening to it more and it caught on. I started buying discs until I found my way around and jazz is now a real favorite.

If you have a local jazz station or can stream one, start listening to it in the background. If you enjoy a piece, pick it up and give it a more thorough listen. If you'd like context, the NPR Curious Listener's Guide to Jazz is a good place to start.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 193
Geez, I guess I missed the fireworks. I tend not to get worked up when folks who admittedly don't know much about jazz say odd things about it. Can't remember if it was Louis Armstrong or Sidney Bechet who said, "You gotta be in the sun to feel the sun," but that's kinda how I come at it. Jazz ropes in people all the time who were indifferent to it at first—lots of them.

Anyway, I'm currently getting waayyyy into the new solo piano disc by French-Algerian pianist Martial Solal, Live at the Village Vanguard: I Can't Give You Anything But Love. The guy's amazing…no one deconstructs a melody while keeping you in the loop quite the way Solal does...'cept maybe Sonny Rollins. If you've ever seen the French film Breathless, the one directed by Jean-Luc Godard, you've heard Solal before; he did the score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back