The swing of things…
Dec 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #181 of 193
I dig everything about Jack Sheldon but this 1954 recording is really and truly great. I figure that Chet Baker heard it and said to himself, "man, I gotta learn how to sing!"

Anyone else dig Jack?

JackSheldon.jpg

-Jim aka 251

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #182 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiveOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dig everything about Jack Sheldon but this 1954 recording is really and truly great. I figure that Chet Baker heard it and said to himself, "man, I gotta learn how to sing!"

Anyone else dig Jack?

JackSheldon.jpg

-Jim aka 251

I dig Jack (he tells a funny story about carousing with Chet in the film Let's Get Lost), but these days, when I'm looking for that sound I find myself pulling out a recent album, trumpeter John McNeil's East Coast Cool:

2305296689_0e29c7c5e3.jpg

McNeil's music is more indebted to Gerry Mulligan's, however, which kinda makes sense because McNeil used to gig with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra at the Village Vanguard on Monday nights (it's still there, now called the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra). A lot of the initial Jones/Lewis arrangements were from Mulligan's '60s Concert Band.

Btw, I caught McNeil's new quartet with tenor saxist Bill McHenry a couple of weeks ago, and he introduced a gorgeous new arrangement of the standard "Moonlight In Vermont" with a joke about trumpeter/bandleader Thad Jones: "I always wanted to solo on this tune in the Jones/Lewis band, but it never happened…for some reason. In fact, you might say that Thad was a real d-ck about that."
atsmile.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #183 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cover_Historicity.jpg

If my radar is correct, this is the jazz disc that's gonna garner quite a few end-of-year accolades. Pianist Vijay Iyer's been banging around NYC for a bit—he was on a fantastic Wadada Leo Smith disc last year, and actually wrote a jazz/hip-hop opera some years back that I wasn't crazy about. This disc sounds like a breakthrough, though. Note that his version of M.i.A.'s "Galang" follows a pendulous version of Leonard Bernstein's "Somewhere" from West Side Story, and that the drummer, Marcus Gilmore, is jazz elder Roy Haynes' not-long-out-of-his teens grandson.
duggehsmile.png

You heard it here first:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/ar...%20Iyer&st=cse

New York Music - Vijay Iyer Tops the Fourth Annual Village Voice Jazz Poll - page 1

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #185 of 193
albumcoverModernJazzQuartet-LaurindoAlmeida-Collaboration.jpg

Just recommended this in another thread and pulled it out to listen again. A fine record. What always amazes me about the MJQ is that offstage pianist John Lewis and vibraharpist Milt Jackson didn't really get on that well. Jackson, arguably the most natural blues player in the history of jazz, reputedly bristled at Lewis's persistent interpretations of classical-music-oriented structures. In Jackson's deathbed interview with Down Beat magazine, he said something about Lewis trying to "suppress swing". It's funny, because on this album they play a Bach fugue and Rodrigo's "Concerto de Aranjuez" beautifully, like they left their quarrel at the door of the studio. Somehow they always managed to.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #186 of 193
Just another quick heads up to swinging Head-fiers in NYC. You've got another chance to check out young tenorist JD Allen at the Village Vanguard. He kicks things off tonight and is there through Sunday.
L3000.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #188 of 193
Andrew Oberg's "Six String Evolution"

Released on the Resonance label in 2010.

Personnel:
Andreas Oberg-guitar; Darmon Meader-tenor saxophone; Dave Kikoski-piano; John Patitucci-bass; Lewis Nash-drums.

Andreas Oberg's star is shining ever brighter as he acquires his own idenity as a jazz guitarist. Another major element to this music is the presence of the Kikoski, Patitucci, Nash rhythm section. Equally surprising is the tenor saxophone work of Darmon Meader lending itself to the overall quality of this release. The founder and tenor voice with the New York Voices is here primarily for his instrumental abilities and works well with Oberg. Oberg also draws on the composing talents of Poncho Sanchez (Papa Gato), Stevie Wonder (From the Bottom of My Heart), Eugene McDaniels (Compared to What?) and Geoff Keezer (Madame Grenouille).

I highly recommend this release from a rising star.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #189 of 193

Quote:
Andrew Oberg's "Six String Evolution"

Released on the Resonance label in 2010.

Personnel:
Andreas Oberg-guitar; Darmon Meader-tenor saxophone; Dave Kikoski-piano; John Patitucci-bass; Lewis Nash-drums.

I've yet to hear this disc, but that rhythm-section is serious biz.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #190 of 193
This just in, jazz peeps…last night in NYC, Ornette Coleman got onstage with Sonny Rollins!! I know 'cause I was there. Sonny, Roy Haynes (!!!) and Christian McBride were playing "Sonnymoon For Two" when Ornette walked out. He messed with the changes more than the tune, but then Sonny followed by playing a harmolodic-style solo that brought the friggin' house down!! Kray-zy!!

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #191 of 193

Quote:
This just in, jazz peeps…last night in NYC, Ornette Coleman got onstage with Sonny Rollins!! I know 'cause I was there. Sonny, Roy Haynes (!!!) and Christian McBride were playing "Sonnymoon For Two" when Ornette walked out. He messed with the changes more than the tune, but then Sonny followed by playing a harmolodic-style solo that brought the friggin' house down!! Kray-zy!!

This is ... wow ... I'm speechless ... and pretty durn jealous! I've never seen Ornette live (though I listen to his records a lot, and that 80s harmolodic thing that was happening in NY from Ornette alums... Ronald Shannon Jackson's Deconding Society and James Blood Ulmer's bands) did a lot to form my tastes forever.  I love Ornette.  Sonny Rollins I've seen live a few times, but never playing a harmolodic-style, house-burning solo.  I love Sonny Rollins, but I know by the time I saw  him he was more complacent than usual in his prime.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #192 of 193
…looks like someone posted an unauthorized video…can't get it to upload here, but go to youTube and search for: "Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Roy Haynes and Christian McBride"

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #193 of 193
The Village Voice year-end jazz poll puts pianist Jason Moran at the top of the list, and they're not wrong. TEN is a pretty fantastic jazz album.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-12-29/music/jason-moran-tops-himself/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back