The swing of things…
May 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #121 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently been exploring Miles Davis' second quintet and have shelved E.S.P. and Miles Smiles. Do I need Nefertiti and/or Sorcerer to round out my collection, or am I free to stop now?

Frankly, I'd like to hear both Pangaea and Jerome weigh in on this, but I'd say you need Nefertiti just for the Wayne Shorter tunes.

Oh, and thanx for the thread boost.
atsmile.gif

May 11, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #122 of 193
I'm pretty much in the "everything from Miles is essential listening" camp. BTW...Wayne Shorter is on Sorcerer too and both albums feature some superb piano work from Herbie Hancock. That's reason enough to have them both.

To me one of the things that makes Miles so special is that he was able to do something unique and interesting on just about every single album. This was expecially true during his long tenure at Columbia.

--Jerome

May 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #124 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty much in the "everything from Miles is essential listening" camp. BTW...Wayne Shorter is on Sorcerer too and both albums feature some superb piano work from Herbie Hancock. That's reason enough to have them both.

Okay, Jerome and tru blu, I'll shell out for them both then. Thanks.

I don't think I have to wait for Pangaea to weigh in -- given his handle, I can guess what he would say.

May 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #126 of 193
I agree with getting it on vinyl if possible. If you're crazy like me then you may want to snag what has been released on 1/4" 4-track tape (just be prepared for sticker shock when you see the prices they fetch on eBay).
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, original pressings of certain Miles Davis albums can get pretty pricey and most of what has been reissued on 180g vinyl is now OOP. You can still get 200g Classic Records pressings of Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain and both have terrific sound.

To be honest I have found the sound on the Columbia remastered CDs to be quite good actually.

--Jerome

May 14, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #128 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get it all!! And in Vinyl...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I knew you'd show up if we invoked your name enough!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I have found the sound on the Columbia remastered CDs to be quite good actually.

I have Miles Smiles and E.S.P. as Columbia remasters, and they sound pretty good to me too, especially for $9. I haven't fired up the Music Hall MMF-7 in so long anyway, I'm not sure I'd remember how. In fact, I'm probably going to sell it and buy a Rega P1. Too much turntable for me.

May 14, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #129 of 193
When buying jazz I always go for the original mix. I want to hear what Miles wanted, not what some guy after Miles' death thought it should sound like (usually more bass).

May 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #130 of 193
And I would rather them be mastered to sound good on modern equipment...but to each his own. Let's not turn the thread into the great sound quality debate.

Several of us have said time and again that the music comes first, and given a choice between having it on a CD or not hearing it all I have to believe that any serious jazz lover would recommend that people experience the music on any format -- just as Pangaea did above.

We can save the mixing, mastering, and sound quality debate for another thread. This thread is about what music people are into -- to go back to the OPs original intent.

--Jerome

May 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #131 of 193
some years ago i cant listen to jazz at all.. its like What

then i went on and listen to my dad's collection, fourplay. hmmm. quite like it but a bit boring. the first jazz album that caught my attention was pat metheny's the road to you. that was 4 years ago i think. that, and my first beloved jazz album is lee ritenour's overtime. and some george benson.

but then i kinda feel that those fourplay and all smooth jazz thingy sound real.. boring. i listened to my dad's rippingtons as well and blah. around that same time i fell in love in rock and blues rock, and began digging more and more of them.

now i consider my main musical taste is around blues and blues rock, but recently i began picking up some jazz again. amazing how my journey to the blues area opened up my mind. those stuff that barely tickled my mind now sound so lively. no im not talking about the smooth jazz part. one ocassion is diz and bird, i listened to it once 4 years ago and really, it hurt my ears. now i love them. and on lee ritenour's overtime, i became intrigued with tracks that i used to skip- blue in green, for example.

now i really dig the raw jazz stuff. those lively and soulful interplay. but im not educated or knowledgable about the genres and stuff. i love pat's day trip. then my last purchase was a django reinhardt collection. and also i love some arne domnerus off jazz at the pawnshop. is looking forward for more, but i cant afford it at the moment. ill definitely keep this thread as reference. im only 19, still a long journey ahead
smily_headphones1.gif

i really hate how the mainstream labels jazz. when you go to some cd shops and look at those **** they call jazz. its mostly those soulless female voice performing jazz standards. as well as some boring smooth jazz thrown in. hell, its the same thing with rock music in the sense that they label classic rock as 80s hair metal and mainstream rock as fall out boy.

oh and dont get me wrong, i love harvey mason and co. but not on fourplay.

i think the reach of youtube kinda helps in finding music. everything's there. you can just type in names and there you go. regardless of how bad the quality is, but still. good music is good, and if i found great music off youtube, ill go and buy the cd.

youtube is good if you know what to look and what not to look.

May 14, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #132 of 193
I was always amazed how Weather Report-type bands that were fueled on their creativeness of doing things that had never been done before never really took off. It seemed like a logical evolution for jazz but I suppose it strayed too far from the jazz roots and the lack of vocals was a turn-off to the cross-over rock-oriented music fanbase.

Both the smooth and traditional movements in jazz are about being conventional. They're the only musical genres I know of where you have rules like, 'In smooth jazz we don't want any improvisation,' or 'In straight-ahead jazz we don't want any electric bass.' It's just crazy, and it's left us with too many musicians who are concerned more with emulation than with discovery. It's a main reason jazz fails to reach out to more people. When bands like Pat Metheny, Yellowjackets, Dave Weckl or Spyro Gyra are shunned my so many jazz traditionalists, it only hurts the genre.

May 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #133 of 193
regarding that post, i actually strayed from my smooth jazz origins to the traditional ones naturally- i just became attracted to what appeals me. yes, no matter how hard i tried my brainwave can't click with dave weckl and spyro gyra. pat metheny on the other hand, is different. and i love jaco as well. does that mean i'm a traditionalist?

i just learned that such elitism exists- if so, then its just sad, and i agree with you that it just hurts the genre.

May 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #134 of 193
Ignorance and mis-labeling is a factor too. Most all radio format smooth jazz with all it's nauseating programming and zero improv is really more of an R & B or Soul hybrid moreso than a variation of jazz but the labels started calling it "jazz" to try to attract a more sophisticated wine and cheese crowd but I just can't stomach it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back