The Stax thread
Feb 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #2,521 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck on the SR-X Pro, a number of us (myself included) would probably beat you to it if one came up for auction.

Yeah, I knew this, lttle teasing for triggering an answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The Lambdas have a different sound character from the 003 (brighter, with less lower-mids). You'll either like it, or you won't. They're certainly more technically proficient than the 003 is.

My feelings are contradictionary about the 003 resolving and misty at the same time the sinner may be the hev70

Quote:

There were several revisions of the SRM-1, and they do supposedly sound slightly different, but it's doubtful that the difference will be big enough to matter.

Most of us here understand the polarizing voltage and and voltage swing are different things.

No problem with this but it seems strange the voltage can be higher than the bias. And there is a tendency in time to the higher voltage swing capability (?)
Quote:

The concensus is that modifying something to support a different bias voltage is more trouble than it's worth. Making a forked cable like Spritzer's is a far easier approach.

Quote:

Low bias certainly doesn't mean that there is less voltage swing. All low bias phones run just fine off my Blue Hawaii even at a fairly high volume level. I think you are talking about adding a 580v bias to the normal SRM-1 since the Mk2's all had a Pro socket. A +580v bias generator costs about 40$ in parts with an isolation transformer but you can skip that. If the amp already has a pro socket you can cut the 230v bias wire and solder it to the pro socket and vice versa.

I have seen (pictures about) not one srm1 mk2 with two 6-pins low bias sockets without the usual "pro only" and "normal" texts under them. So the more interesting is upgrading this variant to high bias but the reverse direction is interesting too. The question is the srm1 mk2 type name means the same high quality amp, class A with more than 350V swing etc. There was a lots of time between the variations. Would you be a bit more technical about this "bias change" ? What parts from where should I buy ?

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #2,522 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by judo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I knew this, lttle teasing for triggering an answer
smily_headphones1.gif

lambda.gif

Quote:

My feelings are contradictionary about the 003 resolving and misty at the same time the sinner may be the hev70

Like all electrostatics it benefits from a good amp. From the SRM-252II I didn't find it particularly blury, but from the S-001 I did. I'm not sure exactly how the HEV70 compares as I've only driven my HE60s from it.

Quote:

No problem with this but it seems strange the voltage can be higher than the bias. And there is a tendency in time to the higher voltage swing capability (?)

The voltage can be five times the bias voltage without any problems.

Quote:

I have seen (pictures about) not one srm1 mk2 with two 6-pins low bias sockets without the usual "pro only" and "normal" texts under them. So the more interesting is upgrading this variant to high bias but the reverse direction is interesting too. The question is the srm1 mk2 type name means the same high quality amp, class A with more than 350V swing etc. There was a lots of time between the variations. Would you be a bit more technical about this "bias change" ? What parts from where should I buy ?

All SRM-1s have the same voltage swing (somewhere in the range of 370v), and the different bias arrangements had no effect on that.

Which version of the SRM-1mk2 do you have? Could you take a photo of it?

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #2,523 of 2,694
quick question, where can one find replacement SR-X pads. I've read in a couple of threads that people got them from Audiocubes, but I'm not seeing them on the Audiocubes website. Am I just bat-blind? Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #2,526 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question, where can one find replacement SR-X pads. I've read in a couple of threads that people got them from Audiocubes, but I'm not seeing them on the Audiocubes website. Am I just bat-blind? Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Go to audiocubes2 I had seen there 2 days ago for 16 USD

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #2,527 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good question, it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Maybe email audiocubes and ask them?

Quote:

I have no any i want to buy one.

Oh, I was under the impression you already had one.

Does it have to be the SRM-1? There's a fair bit of choice when it comes to amps for electrostatics.

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #2,528 of 2,694
Quote:

Oh, I was under the impression you already had one.

Does it have to be the SRM-1? There's a fair bit of choice when it comes to amps for electrostatics.

Little pictures but I can see on the faceplate the mk2
smily_headphones1.gif
I have seen this faceplate on other places.

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #2,530 of 2,694
I have headset Lambda Nova Basic and 'Driver Unit for Professional Earspeaker model SRM-Xh'.

Could someone here rank these for me in terms of age (issue started) and quality in the Stax Hall of Fame ??

Also could I use this Driver Unit to drive SR-001 MkII (assuming I solve the problem of connection plug difference ?

What would be an easy upgrade in Driver units ??

Cheers
lambda.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #2,531 of 2,694
Quote:

You are right. There was indeed a normal only Mk2 but it was short lived. It came out in 1982 (great year
wink.gif
) just before the Lambda Pro.

You can add a new bias supply inside the chassis. An easy design by Kevin Gilmore is included below. You can skip the transformer since you have a line voltage of 230v.
alwayson.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #2,532 of 2,694
Quote:

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Sta...rspeakers.html

Am I misunderstanding something?

"Audiocubes2" is their backup site, their live one is www.audiocubes.com.

They must have removed it from their main site fairly recently, as I bought a set not that long ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have headset Lambda Nova Basic and 'Driver Unit for Professional Earspeaker model SRM-Xh'.

Could someone here rank these for me in terms of age (issue started) and quality in the Stax Hall of Fame ??

Also could I use this Driver Unit to drive SR-001 MkII (assuming I solve the problem of connection plug difference ?

What would be an easy upgrade in Driver units ??

Cheers
lambda.gif

The Xh is of the same family as the SRM-X, SRM-212, and SRM-252. My understanding is that the differences are minor. It can most certainly drive a 001 if you can fix the connector issue (that's basically what the 005 combo is).

The Nova Basic is pretty much the 202, just with a slightly different driver.

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #2,533 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. There was indeed a normal only Mk2 but it was short lived. It came out in 1982 (great year
wink.gif
) just before the Lambda Pro.

You can add a new bias supply inside the chassis. An easy design by Kevin Gilmore is included below. You can skip the transformer since you have a line voltage of 230v.
alwayson.gif

Many thanks !!!
It does not seem too complicated only getting the 5 Mega and measuring the result problematic, I think - I have only a cheepo meter. Perhaps with a similar transformer connecting series the primaries. Would be the Stax solution similarly easy ?

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #2,534 of 2,694
Quote:

"Audiocubes2" is their backup site, their live one is www.audiocubes.com.

They must have removed it from their main site fairly recently, as I bought a set not that long ago.

I've just placed an order for replacement pads at the Audiocubes 2 site, and they've accepted it.
That's nice since I thought I have to live with the old disintegrating pads.My local Stax distributor told me that he isn't able to provide those pads, and they had vanished from audiocubes.com ...........

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #2,535 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just placed an order for replacement pads at the Audiocubes 2 site, and they've accepted it.
That's nice since I thought I have to live with the old disintegrating pads.My local Stax distributor told me that he isn't able to provide those pads, and they had vanished from audiocubes.com ...........

If it works then that'll be excellent news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back