The Stax thread
Jul 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #2,642 of 2,694
Can anyone give me a link where to buy Stax earspeakers in Europe?

(have already search, but it's not easy to find, besides eBay, which i'm not very confident with all the fakes around...)

These ones seems trusty, but...any clues?

(http://cgi.ebay.com/STAX-SR-404-SIGNATURE-Electrostatic-Earspeakers_W0QQitemZ390219219168QQcategoryZ40137QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6726852796948920683)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200465008331&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2,643 of 2,694

Quote:
Vitor Teixeira said:

Can anyone give me a link where to buy Stax earspeakers in Europe?

(have already search, but it's not easy to find, besides eBay, which i'm not very confident with all the fakes around...)

Lyric Hifi
I bought my Omega 2 system from them and got a pretty good deal.

Or contact the Portuguese distributor asking if they serve any local dealers.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2,645 of 2,694
Krmathis – When you bought Omegas, you solve classical problem. STAX amps are perfect, but not so the ideal choice for you. They are only „the entry“ step. Once you listen Rudistor Coriolan 2 amp

http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/Coriolan-2.htm

or Woo Audio WES (with upgrades), then you will know how excellent Omega headphones are. The reason why stax’s amps are “entry” is based on fact that production of amps takes much more time them one piece of headphones. Because electrostats are unlistenable without amp, there you do compromise. When you purchase one of these two amps then you will truly listen Omegas, 4070, 4040 or Orpheus (HE90, HE60). Simply said, when you have not these serious amps, you listen only the part of their sound quality. My friend has both Rudistor Coriolan 2 amp and Woo Audio WES so I listen and compared. The difference is very significant.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2,646 of 2,694

Quote:
Krmathis – When you bought Omegas, you solve classical problem. STAX amps are perfect, but not so the ideal choice for you. They are only „the entry“ step. Once you listen Rudistor Coriolan 2 amp

That goes beyond what the guy I replied to asked for.
You are right that the Stax energizers (besides the SRM-T2) is not the end, but some of them actually do a fairly good job and provide pretty good value for the money.

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #2,648 of 2,694

Quote:

That goes beyond what the guy I replied to asked for.
You are right that the Stax energizers (besides the SRM-T2) is not the end, but some of them actually do a fairly good job and provide pretty good value for the money.

All of the Stax amps (even the SRM-252) are much better designed then the crap Rudistor is peddling and will not destroy your headphones (the Rudistor amps will overload and burn up the diaphragm with time).  As for value, who would pay 5k€ for an amp a child can build for 400€?

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #2,649 of 2,694
Spritzer – this is pure speculation. Some times I listen it too, that some model has problem with it, but nobody proved it. If it happen then it was very specific problem of concrete device (something broken) but not the general problem. My friend own Coriolan 2 both WES and he has absolutely no problem with them more then three years. He owns at about 5 STAX electrostats, so if Rudi amp will be problematic then he has found problems with it, but,  as I said, nothing happen. STAX amps are perfect quality, all depends on fact what you expect from chain and which components you prefer to have, excellent high-end tubes composition for very sweet, warm and beautifully coloured sound, or very analytical very detailed sound, or you want have excellent rock-style „package“ for listening. As I said all depends on your preferences. Both Rudistor Coriolan 2, Woo audio WES, Ray Samuels A10 are absolutely excellent high end amps, together with perfect STAX supported one, built for connection electrostats with other devices in chain.

Jjinh – as I said, it depends on your personal preferences. The pricetag depends on exchange, in one moment one model could be better in price, in other momenet other one.

Krmathis – it is typical for several audio devices. When you want have something very special in quality you need accept higher pricetag bacause the construction and components costs much more. As I said, the amp production takes much more time then headphones, so when you are producer you need synchronize production of headphones with amps, so you need do compromises, to prevent very long delays. But the solutions presented by STAX company are very good in order quality to price ratio. As I said, if you want something very special, the true top high end devices costs much more.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #2,650 of 2,694

Quote:
Spritzer – this is pure speculation. Some times I listen it too, that some model has problem with it, but nobody proved it. If it happen then it was very specific problem of concrete device (something broken) but not the general problem. My friend own Coriolan 2 both WES and he has absolutely no problem with them more then three years. He owns at about 5 STAX electrostats, so if Rudi amp will be problematic then he has found problems with it, but,  as I said, nothing happen. STAX amps are perfect quality, all depends on fact what you expect from chain and which components you prefer to have, excellent high-end tubes composition for very sweet, warm and beautifully coloured sound, or very analytical very detailed sound, or you want have excellent rock-style „package“ for listening. As I said all depends on your preferences. Both Rudistor Coriolan 2, Woo audio WES, Ray Samuels A10 are absolutely excellent high end amps, together with perfect STAX supported one, built for connection electrostats with other devices in chain.

There is nothing to prove, either you have a clue how to build bias supplies or you do something so utterly moronic as Rudi, all in a strive to try and kill the hum present in the horrific PSU design.  The bias supplies are supposed to be high impedance but 32uf is a bit bigger than 0.01uf...  As for hearing the damage, it is gradual but it can be measured.  People also said that there was nothing wrong with the SP ES amps or the Exstata but that has been proven not to be true. 

As for your comments on the amps, it shows you haven't got a clue.  The WES is a bastardized GES which doesn't sound as good as the original (I've compared them).  The A-10 is about as idiotic of a design as you can imagine, seriously SRPP for an ESP amp?  Ergo did it too but that was in the 90's when people honestly believed SRPP wasn't crap.  As for the Cirolan, you are aware it is just the same old crappy Egmont circuit, built with dirt cheap parts and tubes which aren't suitable for the role. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2,651 of 2,694
Spritzer – which amp is perfect one by your opinion? Rudi amps are miserable, WES is miserable, A-10 is miserable .... I think all amps are miserable for you. I think this is irational discussion as other your one realized in other threads. When you are so perfect in knowledge, experience or technology, the greatest thing which you can do is to join serious Professional cooperation with producers of amps, to extend their technical quality, sound reproduction quality .. etc. Here you can earn very big money, you can do great addition to quality, deliver great experience for audiophile enthusiasts etc. But, I think, you are able only speaking about around and do speculations, but nothing more. Did you seriously visited inside or in details the amps which you react? I think not or for very short time. You took some values and then you started some calculations but you do not know what you calculate or how to interpretate it. This is the true base for speculations about this value, or this value etc. In same order as for cables, when somebody writtes that someting hase small value of nF or nOhm, then this value you normaly are NOT able measure handly. The measuring machines which are able deliver you so precise value for measuring these values costs so enough of money which have not and these machines are placed in top scientific centers. In same order with osciloscop you are no table so precisely measure frequences for doing so precise calculations with very high precision. In same order, when I produce you cable with characteristics of clearness of cooper at 99,99999 or how much 9’t you like, then you are NOT able prove that the clearnes is so enough of this value because the measured able difference is so extremely small so you are NOT able normaly measure. The volume of cooper in 1m cable is so small so in weight or other condition you NOT prove that the clearnes is so accurate as is written by producers because the "non-cooper" part is so very small. This value is obtained theoreticaly by applied processes and very individualy measured for concrete special cable sent to special research center. The producers only measure the values of attributes during production by which they „prove“ that by this approach (condition) they are able obtain the spoken pureness. And same is true with understanding several value specifications. That’s all.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #2,653 of 2,694

Quote:
Jjinh – as I said, it depends on your personal preferences. The pricetag depends on exchange, in one moment one model could be better in price, in other momenet other one.

I have no hesitation in trusting Spritzer's opinion on all things electrostatic over your opinion.

Plus people I know have purchased amps from Rudistor. They recommended I not touch the brand because of their build quality.

Quote:
spritzer – when we speak about amps, what do you think about „legendary“ Grado RA-1 amp? I can send you picture:

http://image5.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20071228/18/3573793920071228180345493_001_640.jpg

Or what do you think about Daniel Zajac’s legendary ZANA HPA-1 amp with true analogue binaural processing system for single ended electrodynamic headphones?

Isn't the Grado RA-1 a glorified cmoy?

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #2,655 of 2,694
jjinh – I agree that communication with people as spritzer is only the lost of time, the conversation will go to nowhere. Rudistor produces beautiful and perfectly sounding amps. I am very fascinated how excellent is sound reproduction by RP 010B. I think, this is the best solid state electrodynamic amp. In Viena last year I listen Omegas with Rudi Coriolan 2 amp and it sounded amazingly wonderfully excellent.
PS: The grado amp was here as the joke. We everybody know about him "quality" ... :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back