The Stax thread
Jan 26, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #1,951 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys are really driving the market! i spotted two units that have been on ebay before (last year) and in that short amount of time they already doubled in price for what they went for!

I have seen that as well!
Thats what happens when people want phones badly enough, and there are limited supplies.
Quote:

i wouldn't even be able to afford STAX now if i wanted to dabble into it, yikes! what's worse is that there's definitely limited amounts, and i think the market has seen just about what it's going to see, and it's all resales of discovered units from here on out - other than the rare one-off from an ignorant seller (like that grado HP1000 for 150, oi).

The limited amount of certain Stax phones are part of the reason why their going price is rising. And of course that many head-Fi members have found their way from dynamic into electrostatic headphones the last months.

There are high demand, and limited amount, of Lambda Pro's, Lambda Signature's, SR-X/MK3's, and especially SR-Omega's. And hence their going price will only go one way. UP!

Ignorant sellers are highly welcome. SR-Omega's for $400 anyone?
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #1,952 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen that as well!
Thats what happens when people want phones badly enough, and there are limited supplies.
The limited amount of certain Stax phones are part of the reason why their going price is rising. And of course that many head-Fi members have found their way from dynamic into electrostatic headphones the last months.

There are high demand, and limited amount, of Lambda Pro's, Lambda Signature's, SR-X/MK3's, and especially SR-Omega's. And hence their going price will only go one way. UP!

Ignorant sellers are highly welcome. SR-Omega's for $400 anyone?
tongue.gif

You want to Sell your Omega's for $400?
evil_smiley.gif
Whats your paypal I call dibs. Another pair never hurt....
biggrin.gif

-Alex-

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #1,953 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

-Alex-

No, no!
I am waiting for a deal like that. An ignorant seller which sell his SR-Omega for $400.
Like an ignorant seller sold a pair of HP1000 for $150, while their going rate was $1300-1400.

More deals like that, and/or noticeable less demand, are one way to keep the going price down.

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #1,956 of 2,694
Watching an Ebay auction...

This is the non-pro bias model that preceded Lambda, right?

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #1,958 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys are really driving the market! i spotted two units that have been on ebay before (last year) and in that short amount of time they already doubled in price for what they went for! i wouldn't even be able to afford STAX now if i wanted to dabble into it, yikes! what's worse is that there's definitely limited amounts, and i think the market has seen just about what it's going to see, and it's all resales of discovered units from here on out - other than the rare one-off from an ignorant seller (like that grado HP1000 for 150, oi).

Agreed, although there's still plenty off stuff that falls between the cracks. You just need patience and observance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watching an Ebay auction...

This is the non-pro bias model that preceded Lambda, right?

The Gamma didn't preceed the Lambda. When the original Lambda came out Stax were still making SR-5s.

Jan 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #1,960 of 2,694
We are driving the prices up but this isn't the first time. You can read in the archives on Headwize that the same thing happened some years ago and then the interest died down again.

You can still get some deals like the 20$ "New" SR-3's I'm listening to now. They have had a rough live and were in pretty bad shape and probably haven't been used for years. This housing has a design flaw where the steel pins that hold the ear cup break away from the plastic. It's easy to fix with some glue and something to use as a pin. This set had a broken pin, a small hole in the left diaphragm, that driver is louder then the other and they were filthy but not bad for 20$ and an hours work of repairing and cleaning. One weired bit is that they were wired out of phase. They have come this way from the factory because one of the screws that holds them together is covered by some type of plastic sealant so they were never tampered with.

Btw. The SR-5 is clearly a superior phone but they have a very pleasant sound with little bass extension and slight harshness of the upper midrange and treble. Not the most comfortable but no Koss either...

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #1,961 of 2,694
The way Alex is collecting Omegas I think he'll end up being the sole source soon.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

-Alex-

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #1,962 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way Alex is collecting Omegas I think he'll end up being the sole source soon.
tongue.gif

1. Collect SR-Ωs
2. Run world's supply down to nothing
3. ?????
4. Profit

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #1,965 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone who wants an Illusion ESC-1001, there may well be one up for auction right now.

Went for 52500 yen, aka US$435. I hate staying up to 3AM for an auction and then watching it climb beyond the cash you have to spare in the last few minutes.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back