The Stax Thread III
Sep 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #286 of 25,621
Radio Shack has those Wallwarts that have removable plugs that enables you to reverse the polarity as you need it... it's the one I bought for my 2170 and it works well. Give that a try first as it is dirt cheap anyway and is easily acquired.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #287 of 25,621
  has anyone done a comparison of the different stax lambda models in a separate thread?  I am running the sr-lambdas with the smr1-mk2 and am very pleased with it.  but I am thinking about adding some pro bias cans.  I would stay in the Lambda family, as those are more in my price range.  I have read that most believe the original lambda signature is the one to find, but those dont come around very often.  I would have started this in the entry level stax, but I dont think I want the 202.  but maybe I do.  any opinions from those who have tried them?  Dont have to go new either.  is the 303 still around?

I have the SR-Lambda and the SR-Lambda Pro. Sadly, the only Normal bias amp I have is an old SRA-3S in need of some refurbishment. That being said, I do find the SR-Lambda more enjoyable than the SR-Lambda Pro on that amp. 

I've owned the 202 and 404LE. Both are good in their own way, but I prefer the Lambda-Pro to the 404LE (it's been so long since I heard the 202 that I can't remember much about it).  

If you are looking for Pro bias Lambdas, I would suggest you start with the SR-Lambda Pro, as you can usually find a good deal in the BS forums.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #288 of 25,621
  has anyone done a comparison of the different stax lambda models in a separate thread?  I am running the sr-lambdas with the smr1-mk2 and am very pleased with it.  but I am thinking about adding some pro bias cans.  I would stay in the Lambda family, as those are more in my price range.  I have read that most believe the original lambda signature is the one to find, but those dont come around very often.  I would have started this in the entry level stax, but I dont think I want the 202.  but maybe I do.  any opinions from those who have tried them?  Dont have to go new either.  is the 303 still around?

Many of us here seem to think that the LNS is (one of) the best compromises of the lot. But I never heard the original Lambda Pro Sig. so I cannot really judge their merit. My LNS improved a bit after fitting the new leather pads.

I use the LNS with my SRM-T1S for classic and acoustical music and my SS SRM-3 for movies and the louder stuff. Works perfectly for me.

But if I can have my way I listen to my speakers, modified Magnepan 3.6R. Quite a bit more realistic than "earspeakers" - if you have powerful amps to feed them adequately - and your neighbors are on a vacation ...

Happy listening, Jörg.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #289 of 25,621
  Many of us here seem to think that the LNS is (one of) the best compromises of the lot. But I never heard the original Lambda Pro Sig. so I cannot really judge their merit. My LNS improved a bit after fitting the new leather pads.

I use the LNS with my SRM-T1S for classic and acoustical music and my SS SRM-3 for movies and the louder stuff. Works perfectly for me.

But if I can have my way I listen to my speakers, modified Magnepan 3.6R. Quite a bit more realistic than "earspeakers" - if you have powerful amps to feed them adequately - and your neighbors are on a vacation ...

Happy listening, Jörg.

so the LNS being the Lambda Nova Signature?  not the sr-lambda signature?  I believe they are different yes?

Yes, I love my speakers as well, but when you just cant use them, the stax come in.  and there is an intimacy to the headphones you cant get from speakers either I think.  Plus all that room tuning.. ugh.. thats the next thing for me.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #290 of 25,621
TUBES FOR SRM-T1

Is a 6CG7 just as good in SRM-T1  as 6FQ7?  I see the 6CG7  has a Max plate voltage rated 30 volts lower.

I've read somewhere that many folks like the Japanese-made version of the tube quite a lot.  There are several 6FQ7's that are Japanese made - Lindal, Channel Master, Sears....are ANY Japanese-made 6FQ7's a pretty safe bet over, say, an RCA?

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #291 of 25,621
  Radio Shack has those Wallwarts that have removable plugs that enables you to reverse the polarity as you need it... it's the one I bought for my 2170 and it works well. Give that a try first as it is dirt cheap anyway and is easily acquired.

Hmm thanks.  Not really sure what you mean exactly is there any way you could show me a link?

Also, would a step down transformer also work?

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #293 of 25,621
link: http://www.bixnet.com/duoucacoforp.html

Set Polarity & Plug the tip
After you have selected the proper plug tip, you need to connect the plug tip to the adapter cord to match the correct polarity setting. It is CRITICAL that you determine and set the correct polarity needed for your product before using the adapter. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN SEVERE DAMAGE TO YOUR PRODUCT!
To determine the correct polarity for your product, inspect the DC adapter jack or the label of your product thoroughly for information about the products polarity. There will be a symbol with a plus sign on one side and a minus sign on the other with a circle between them. The circle will have an opening so that it looks like a "C". If the opening of the circle is on the side with the plus sign the polarity is positive. If the opening is on the side with minus sign the polarity is negative. If you cannot find a polarity sign on your product you need to call the product's manufacturer to find out what the polarity is.
There is a small plus (+) and minus (-)sign on the plastic part of the plug tip above the two pins where you plug the tip into the cord. On the adapter's cord where you connect the plug tip - you should notice the word "tip".
If your polarity setting is POSITIVE, you need to set the plug tip to "tip positive" by connecting the "plus sign" and the word "tip" on the adapter cord so they line up on the same side. Most laptops polarity setting is Positive like bellow picture:
Polarity-Positive-Connection.jpg

Polarity-Positive.jpg

​

Link: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/33968/how-to-tell-polarity-expected-of-a-dc-barrel-jackUnless there is a figure like below, or some wording like "positive centre" then you can't tell.​

tAAzk.gif

or:​

zsp7C.png

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #294 of 25,621
@ gilency - Nice "tips"!

I think he should understand now.

If one is still unsure, do what the drunk guy said, that'll work 4sure.

And yes, there are many helpful people at "The Shack" to sort your quandry. (Or not.)

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #299 of 25,621

so the LNS being the Lambda Nova Signature?  not the sr-lambda signature?  I believe they are different yes?

Yes, I love my speakers as well, but when you just cant use them, the stax come in.  and there is an intimacy to the headphones you cant get from speakers either I think.  Plus all that room tuning.. ugh.. thats the next thing for me.

LNS is the Lambda Nova Signature.  It is rather different from the normal Signature (sometimes called the Pro Signature for some unknown reason) not only in sound but also how they are made. 

TUBES FOR SRM-T1

Is a 6CG7 just as good in SRM-T1  as 6FQ7?  I see the 6CG7  has a Max plate voltage rated 30 volts lower.

I've read somewhere that many folks like the Japanese-made version of the tube quite a lot.  There are several 6FQ7's that are Japanese made - Lindal, Channel Master, Sears....are ANY Japanese-made 6FQ7's a pretty safe bet over, say, an RCA?

The electrode structure in these should be identical, just the inclusion of a shield between the sections is the difference.  The specs have always varied between 300 and 330V based on the supplier. 

I'd take the Japanese tubes over the US stuff.  Brand doesn't matter as they were all made in 2-3 factories. 

frown.gif

Is anything that's Stax? Nodded SRM-727?

That's as close as you can get. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #300 of 25,621
Arghh!! Channel imbalance, somewhere around 2-3dB on my lambda sig's! What is the best way to dial in the dual channel pot/ test for channel imbalance in general?

EDIT: I have found that the women 'singing' in 'the great gig in the sky' by pink floyd seems to be dead center, which helps quite a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back