The Stax Thread III
Sep 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #271 of 25,594

For example the retail price today at Custom Cable in the UK is 3695GBP incl. VAT but not shipping.  You're still north of a 922gbp (1438 usd) delta... and that's assuming you get the full customs hit and shipping that is that expensive. 

I like supporting the local guys too, but at some point I take advantage of the world market.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #272 of 25,594
Very, very nice!

Quote:
  SRD-X Pro fixed and lightly modded:

First, a big thanks to Spitzer for letting me know the most likely locations for the ground wire...indeed it was the battery black. Resoldered and all was good.

So, I mounted my AK100 on top (perfect black-on-black aesthetics), then hard-wired a mini-stereo plug into the left and right inputs, added a 1300 MAH 3S Lipo (around 11.5-12.6 volts depending on charge) and a Lipo low voltage alarm/voltage indicator) and voila, a fully portable Stax setup that sounds great. With the Lipo battery mod, it's much lighter than with the 8 C cells it was originally designed for...and thus is that much easier to lug around. Yes, it's bigger than an i-device and Pico amp, but still fits easily in a briefcase and looks not out of place on an office desk.

The best sound is from my LNS, which are still efficient enough not to sound thin. It also works well with the Gamma Pro's, as I think it was originally voiced for the GP's and those phones are more compact and slightly more efficient...but still retain that trademark Stax sound.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this is with 24/96 HD Tracks playing through the AK100. When bench-marked against my $16K non-portable Stax system (including a full-blown Empirical Audio Overdrive running into a 007A and LNS with power conditioning), well yes, the non-portable was of course better (faster, less roll-off, better soundstage, punch, power)... but I've yet to hear any portable rig non-electrostatic setup that approaches the lushness of these vintage pieces combined with an AK100. Compared to my Grado RS-1 and RA-1 the Stax is so much more fuller with a more tube-like midrange. Old + New+ a Mod or Two = Magic

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #273 of 25,594
Cool rig.

Sometimes I think my focus is misdirected on my home gear.  In a "normal" week I spend around 8 hours listening to my commute rig and a very conservative 30 hours listening to my desk rig. 

Unless I fit a long weekend listening session in my time with the home system rarely approaches those kinds of hours in a given week.  Yet, I spend more time and money on that system! 

Maybe I can fit the BHSE on my desk?  Come to think of it, I could make the 717 work.  In the mean time, the 252 is doing admirable work.

Quote:

SRD-X Pro fixed and lightly modded:

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #274 of 25,594
Most of my listening is done around the home, but on three different floors. The SRD-X Pro is good enough so that I don't have to fit-out my work computer with a USB unit (I work from home) and it makes a nice bedside rig, though there's enough leakage from the Stax to tweak interest at WikiLeaks.

It may also accompany me when I travel...but getting through airport security with a weird, home-wired battery black box with a flashing LED counter might not be the best ideal. It really does look like an IED when you open the back and see the lipo voltage counter "ticking" away 
basshead.gif

That said, I'm sure this unit can be modded for a more transparent, open sound. I've seen the odd mention of that on the old threads; if anyone recalls what mods improve the SRD-X Pro, and know where those thread are; please point me in that direction - Lorne

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #275 of 25,594
Yes thats sound about right but you should have no problem negotiating a 10% discount off the list price (Whatever that is these days?)

Also if you buy from Japan its likely that none of the UK dealers will help (at least for free) so you may have to ship them back to Japan with all the customs hassle over again! 

Quote:

For example the retail price today at Custom Cable in the UK is 3695GBP incl. VAT but not shipping.  You're still north of a 922gbp (1438 usd) delta... and that's assuming you get the full customs hit and shipping that is that expensive. 

I like supporting the local guys too, but at some point I take advantage of the world market.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #276 of 25,594

You have to support Local Dealers where possible my one for example lends me all sort of kit and its only fair he sees some return on this. Also he is good as gold when an issue arises. I am not sure id want to take the risk with something very expensive from overseas. All that being said where would you buy from in Japan? I see plenty of ebay traders from there but their prices are higher than elsewhere in Japan and im not sure id pump a few grand in the direction of a web site i dont understand.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #278 of 25,594
Howdy all,
I'm thinking about picking up a stax basic system, which I believe includes an SR-207 and an SRM-252S amplifier.

My question is, can I use a 12v US wall wart with this amp, or will I need to plug in the included "wall wart" into a 120V to 100V step down transformer?

This link:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1953663_-1

Indicates what I'm looking at.  Will that wall wart suffice?

How is the performance of the 207 and the SRM-252S?

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #280 of 25,594
  That one is good in terms of specs but Stax uses the Japanese polarity for their amps which is reversed compared to most of the world.  You need one with the ring as + and the pin as -.  Either that or just replace the plug and swap the wires. 

Thanks Spritzer.  Do you have a recommendation where a properly confugured wall wart can be purchased?  Otherwise will it work if I just use a 120V to 100v step down transformer?

Thanks again.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #282 of 25,594
.... I'd love one of the DIY designs but I want to have channel balance control.

Then just use two separate pots/attenuators - one for each channel (but if your phones (or ears) do not have an imbalance using dual pots would be a pain). Don't know where to get the dual volume controls that Stax uses.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #283 of 25,594
has anyone done a comparison of the different stax lambda models in a separate thread?  I am running the sr-lambdas with the smr1-mk2 and am very pleased with it.  but I am thinking about adding some pro bias cans.  I would stay in the Lambda family, as those are more in my price range.  I have read that most believe the original lambda signature is the one to find, but those dont come around very often.  I would have started this in the entry level stax, but I dont think I want the 202.  but maybe I do.  any opinions from those who have tried them?  Dont have to go new either.  is the 303 still around?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #284 of 25,594
  Thanks Spritzer.  Do you have a recommendation where a properly confugured wall wart can be purchased?  Otherwise will it work if I just use a 120V to 100v step down transformer?

Thanks again.

No, there are none that I know of but check stores that sell musical instruments.  Some of that stuff (effect boxes and the like) is configured for the same polarity as Stax.  

How does the SRM-323S compare to the vanilla KGSS?

I'd love one of the DIY designs but I want to have channel balance control.

It's not even close to the KGSS. 

You can easily do a balance control with a balance pot.  Tricky to do it balanced but single ended it isn't a problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back