The Stax Thread III
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #25,486 of 25,543
Having heard/had time with these headphones (SGL, he1, warwick) I can promise you there isn’t anything cost wise going on there that the x9k didn’t already incur from R&D or parts.

Please don’t wish this on us.
Believe me i dont wish it lol but a lot of reviews keep saying the x9000 sit below them in terms of performance but usual audiophile reviewer BS i guess… ill defer to you having listened to them all as I cannot demo any of them i just thought STAX have always been boutique and high end so they would just keep aiming for the stars…

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #25,487 of 25,543
The original sr-omega grill is straight. It’s also a thicker driver and the pads as mentioned before, have less of a seal. These are probably the biggest factors in differences between them.

007 is more unique because the electrode has no holes which then provides an increases diaphragm vibration area. On really heavy bass songs it can feel like a sub. I think Stax might want to consider playing off this framework for their next omega.
I know my SR-007 mk1 sure does put a BIG smile on my face. My SR-Xmk3 Pro does much the same.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #25,488 of 25,543
1993 - omega
1998 - 007 mk1
2007 - 007 mk2
2011 - 009
2018 - 009 s
2021 - x9000
maybe someone has alredy done a comparison of lambda signature with a 1 nanometer membrane with any of these omegas?)

I'm looking for it now and can't find it, I tried a lot of lambda, sigma, omega, gamma
but I can’t find my lambda signature ..

I also read that not every membrane signature is 1 nanometer, there i need to look at the color of the staors, etc., it’s very difficult in general..

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #25,489 of 25,543
maybe someone has alredy done a comparison of lambda signature with a 1 nanometer membrane with any of these omegas?)

I'm looking for it now and can't find it, I tried a lot of lambda, sigma, omega, gamma

I also read that not every membrane signature is 1 nanometer, there i need to look at the color of the staors, etc., it’s very difficult in general..

My neighbor owns the 2.0µm Sr-lambda NB from 1979 and I used to own the Lambda Nova Signature 1,5µm.

The LNS is imo the best all-arounder lambda. It has a house-signature close to the sr-omega. It doesn't do anything better, but when listening you feel that it lacks nothing. Relaxed, but not too much so. Solid low-end. Scales well with more power (fantastic layering off a carbon). For those on a budget, this would be my go-to recommendation.

The Sr-lambda NB is extremely energetic and not just in a "bright way". It has heavy slam and huge dynamic swings (volume differences between quiet and loud passages). It can become shrill at times, but the enthusiasm it brings to music is addictive. Completely different sound to the omega line and worth having in the arsenal if you have an amp with a NB jack. In some ways this of the same style as the he90's magic. I compared it recently to the SGL and my sr-007 mk1 - just completely unique thing happening with this headphone. Listening to a recording with it and then comparing to the others is like different worlds.
IMG_3970.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #25,490 of 25,543
Probably i have problems with the right driver on 009. There are possibility to fix in europe?

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #25,491 of 25,543
Probably i have problems with the right driver on 009. There are possibility to fix in europe?
you could try the Stax distributor (looks like you are from Portugal?):
From Stax international website, https://stax-international.com/sdistributor-europe/
This is what is listed under "Portugal"...
SOUND&PIXEL PLANET
Calle Electrodo 60, 28522 Rivas-Vaciamadrid, Spain
Person in charge : David Azevedo
Phone:+34 911948210
E-mail:dazevedo@sound-pixel.com

Person in charge : Flor Nogueira
Phone: +34 963528799
E-mail:fnogueira@sound-pixel.com

When I had issues here in the US with my 009 I contacted Edifier (a person I know there) and they gave me a contact to send it to in Hong Kong who then sent it to Japan for service. This was back when Edifier had just recently bought Stax and did not have service logistics in the US set up yet (back in 2017).

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #25,492 of 25,543
you could try the Stax distributor (looks like you are from Portugal?):
From Stax international website, https://stax-international.com/sdistributor-europe/
This is what is listed under "Portugal"...
SOUND&PIXEL PLANET
Calle Electrodo 60, 28522 Rivas-Vaciamadrid, Spain
Person in charge : David Azevedo
Phone:+34 911948210
E-mail:dazevedo@sound-pixel.com

Person in charge : Flor Nogueira
Phone: +34 963528799
E-mail:fnogueira@sound-pixel.com

When I had issues here in the US with my 009 I contacted Edifier (a person I know there) and they gave me a contact to send it to in Hong Kong who then sent it to Japan for service. This was back when Edifier had just recently bought Stax and did not have service logistics in the US set up yet (back in 2017).
What are the service logistics for Stax in the US?, their largest market?

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #25,493 of 25,543

Have you tried looking for the Lambda Signature on Yahoo JP Auctions? I do see one come up every now and then.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #25,494 of 25,543
Have you tried looking for the Lambda Signature on Yahoo JP Auctions? I do see one come up every now and then.
yes but there
- there are many others who want to buy besides me
- headphones are in unknown condition, taking into account the 1 micron membrane and the manufacturing date of 1987 - this is not the most reliable thing in the world, i don’t want to pay good money for something that will have channel imbalance or something like that

I also haven’t figured out exactly what color the stators and the cover over them should be in order to get exactly a 1 nanometer membrane

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #25,495 of 25,543
yes but there
- there are many others who want to buy besides me
- headphones are in unknown condition, taking into account the 1 micron membrane and the manufacturing date of 1987 - this is not the most reliable thing in the world, i don’t want to pay good money for something that will have channel imbalance or something like that

I also haven’t figured out exactly what color the stators and the cover over them should be in order to get exactly a 1 nanometer membrane
That is the nature of an auction: you win some, you lose some.

Well... with these vintage pieces, there will always be a risk. Unless you purchase from Mjolnir Audio where there will be some degree of assurance and it will cost more of course. :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #25,496 of 25,543
What are the service logistics for Stax in the US?, their largest market?
LOL, luckily I have not had to service my Stax again, so I am not sure if it has changed other than they updated their site with this:
Company: STAX USA
Email: enquiry@staxheadphones.com
Url: www.staxheadphones.com

But I suspect your retailer or the above is the first place to look?
The "Contact Us" on the site still points to the Hong Kong location (same email as above), so........... no change??? unless the retailers/distributors step up to help?

Contact Us​

STAX International
Room 2101, 21st floor, The L. Plaza,
367-375 Queen’s Road,
Central - Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2522 6989
Fax: +852 2522 1989
enquiry@staxheadphones.com

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #25,497 of 25,543
If they do come out with a Stax X9000 successor, used prices will go down a bunch.

This is one of the things that scared me off of getting an X9000. I have a feeling they might release an X9000 successor pretty soon. Plus I told myself no more headphones in 2024 after getting the CRBN :)

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #25,498 of 25,543
I've been studying this question for quite some time now

I found information that several drivers were installed in Stax Lambda Signature 1987

Lambda Signature (Silver Driver) - ??? micron ...still is unclear

Lambda Signature (Black Driver) - 1 micron for sure

and that the membrane there may differ in thickness

if someone knows something about this \ I will be very grateful

the driver frame is different in color, I found information that there are several colors..not only black and silver..
1714247829495.png

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #25,499 of 25,543
I'd rather Stax take the time to fix their veritable litany of issues instead of releasing a $10-15k headphone that maybe 20 people will actually buy. How hard is it to incorporate CCS outputs into your tube amps considering that you already use them on some of your solid state amps... or make Lambda headbands that don't break and actually fit human heads. Or voice your headphones properly so customers don't have to EQ them to enjoy them. Or... (insert 1 hour of angry rambling here)

As a wise man once said, being a Stax fan over the last 20 years has been a bit like being in an abusive relationship. They never run out of new ways to disappoint you and yet you keep coming back...

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #25,500 of 25,543
I prefer to think of it as the STAX headphones have character lol.
Like an old car that takes a couple turns of the key to start and smells of gas but it puts a smile on your face

Users who are viewing this thread

Back