The Stax Thread III
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #25,351 of 25,535
@Tyler Durden: You started this. :wink:

I bought a pre-owned SR-009 two? years ago and my expectations were sky high. Wow! My first TOP OF THE LINE headphones (ok previous TOTL) headphones!
....and I was quite dissapointed when I first heard the SR-009 because I thought, well nice, maybe very nice, but still sounds "more or less" like any other headphones I had at this time (HE1kV2, Focal Clear OG, Dan Clark Noire). I was so naive to think, ok a former 5.5?k€ headphone had to sound as not from this earth, as something truely enlightning. I know that was totally silly but that sometimes the brain works (or maybe only mine :wink: ).

Now, I still have the SR-009 and I love them. They are my go to headphones for detailed, open sound and they are also super comfy for me. They always fight with the HE1kV2 (similar type of sound signature, for me) for play time and most times win. :)
For me the SR-009 costs now about what they are worth compared to other more current headphones, no way I would have paid the original price.

So I think you are in for a treat. :)
To be honest even a entry level stax like my stax lambda signature destroys the HEKstealth and HE1000 V2 in most area's except maybe bass quantity/impact.
Stax lambda definately sounds more open than any hifiman I tried even the Susvara which I owned for 2 months, Susvara couldn't keep up with the detail and speed of the stax lambda signature not even close imo.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #25,352 of 25,535
For sr009/sr009s , you only need a stax tube amp for eg srm700t , srm 500t or T1S , 007t/ii ,any one of them is fine. Based on my experience, Mjolnir audio range of amps ,though very good and powerful , are not suitable for 009/s imo.

For source id recommend r2r dac
I completely agree

r2r sounds neutral and separation is excellent

in a tube amplifier - there is no increased fatigue and excessive brightness

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #25,353 of 25,535
I highly recommend the new entry level stax sr-x1 for people who wants to get their feet wet in the realm of stax. Very nice sounding HP for its price. Light and comfortable as well

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #25,354 of 25,535
To be honest even a entry level stax like my stax lambda signature destroys the HEKstealth and HE1000 V2 in most area's except maybe bass quantity/impact.
Stax lambda definately sounds more open than any hifiman I tried even the Susvara which I owned for 2 months, Susvara couldn't keep up with the detail and speed of the stax lambda signature not even close imo.
009 & 009S are both
I understand the concept of try before you buy, but it's not that easy with second hand equipment. I'm happy with the deal I got for these items and take comfort that if they don't work out for me I will be able to sell them on without taking much of a hit.
I have 009, 009S and the X9000. I'd suggest only buying these if you aren't gonna stress about the money. Basically, buy something that you can enjoy because it's not financially on your mind.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #25,355 of 25,535
I agree, always buy what you enjoy, but not if it causes stress due to price.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #25,356 of 25,535
I highly recommend the new entry level stax sr-x1 for people who wants to get their feet wet in the realm of stax. Very nice sounding HP for its price. Light and comfortable as well
Just had a friend ask me about buying the X1 actually. My opinion was he should try and find a Nova Signature or 404 for the same price.
I'm still stunned by how good my $400 Nova sounds.

I guess for anyone who doesn't want the hassle of owning a 20-30 year old headphone, the X1 is a good option.
Has anyone compared it to some of the current Lambdas? 300? 500?

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #25,357 of 25,535
I'm waiting for a pair of SR-009 to arrive with an SRM-007TA. I'm reading lots of posts about amps and worrying that I'm going to be disappointed!
I currently have SR-404 and an SRM-006TII and was hoping for a significant upgrade from the new kit.
What's the likely reality?

As far as I know the 007 and 006 are basically a wash as to which is "better" unless one has the CCS mod? I could be wrong, that is just what I have read on the forums.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #25,358 of 25,535
Just had a friend ask me about buying the X1 actually. My opinion was he should try and find a Nova Signature or 404 for the same price.
I'm still stunned by how good my $400 Nova sounds.

I guess for anyone who doesn't want the hassle of owning a 20-30 year old headphone, the X1 is a good option.
Has anyone compared it to some of the current Lambdas? 300? 500?
LNS is probably the best overall lambda ever, and much more balanced than today’s line. So I would agree with you. 404 is also great.

Outside of that SR-lambda NB is the most impressive and competes with the omegas in some respects but very unbalanced lol.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #25,359 of 25,535
Psst, there is a LNS for sale in the classified listings.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #25,360 of 25,535
Psst, there is a LNS for sale in the classified listings.

Don't tempt me. When I got my CRBN I said "You can buy that but no more headphones in 2024" :)

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #25,361 of 25,535
Just saying… :)

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #25,363 of 25,535
I'm still looking for mine, I heard that someone considers them equal to the omega series
I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve seen a lot of positive feedback about them
Can't really compare them to other stax but i'm really not surprised
i'm still blown away with my stax lambda signature (SR-407) even after listening 5-7 hours a day.

I did tried many planars though from audeze and hifiman and I ended up keeping the hifiman HE6 V2 which I preferred over the HE1000 stealth, HE1000 V2 and Susvara.
Susvara was better yes a bit more refined and had this natural/soft way of presenting things.
HE6 V2 sounded very close to Susvara and I really liked the bass impact of the HE6, for only fraction of the price.

I will still keep my hifiman HE6 (I think) because it can do a full octave lower in the lowest bass notes.

Other than that the lambda signature (SR-407) outperforms the HE6 V2 in every possible way, it makes the HE6 almost sounds veiled and unclear.

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #25,364 of 25,535
I'm still looking for mine, I heard that someone considers them equal to the omega series
I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve seen a lot of positive feedback about them
They’re not at the same analytical tier in any way, but the sound balance is more preferable for me over the 009. I also found on the Carbon, that the LNS separation became more “sr-omega” like and even though it was far inferior to the x9k, I often listened to them more frequently and it led me to sell the x9k.
That said, if you like the LNS sound, a good pair of sr-007mk1 and the sr-omega absolutely smokes them. Which is why I ended up eventually selling the LNS. Best bargain in estats (maybe headphones?)

Attachments

• IMG_9405.jpeg
    IMG_9405.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #25,365 of 25,535
Can't really compare them to other stax but i'm really not surprised
i'm still blown away with my stax lambda signature (SR-407) even after listening 5-7 hours a day.

I did tried many planars though from audeze and hifiman and I ended up keeping the hifiman HE6 V2 which I preferred over the HE1000 stealth, HE1000 V2 and Susvara.
Susvara was better yes a bit more refined and had this natural/soft way of presenting things.
HE6 V2 sounded very close to Susvara and I really liked the bass impact of the HE6, for only fraction of the price.

I will still keep my hifiman HE6 (I think) because it can do a full octave lower in the lowest bass notes.

Other than that the lambda signature (SR-407) outperforms the HE6 V2 in every possible way, it makes the HE6 almost sounds veiled and unclear.
My Arya Organic is the closest to estats out of all my non-estats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back