The Stax Thread III
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #24,961 of 25,560
turns out i had the simulation for the srm727. in distortion graphs, top trace is 2nd harmonic, bottom trace is 3rd harmonic.
the global feedback modification significantly reduces 3rd harmonic distortion. remember to subtract about 57db to get distortion %

output stage current source about 8ma.

Attachments

• srm727real.PDF
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #24,962 of 25,560
Detail: Most people think it is a treble (not terrible) thing. You have to listen to the entire audible reproduction. Bass that is not detailed lacks separation ie all bass notes sound the same or a thud instead of a note or bass drum and bass guitar blur together. Midrange where at times most of the music is in this range, and soundstage and separation is often the “detail” we look for. And last but not least treble, but just a bright treble does not mean more detail. The initial attack is often where detail can be. Sizzle and sibilants are often the enemy of detail.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #24,963 of 25,560
One term I've seen used for detail is "tonal contrast". I first read it from Marcus at Headfonics, but he might have gotten it from somewhere else. It's how well you can pick out a sound from all of the other sounds being played at the same time. There are some parallels that can be drawn to human vision, which is highly dependent on visual contrast for object identification and recognition. If an image is too dark, identifying objects is hard, because dark object on dark background has low contrast. If an image is too bright, the same lack of contrast occurs as it's a bright object on a bright background. When the balance is right, not too dark and not too bright, it's easier to perceive and recognize all of the objects in an image. In an image, you can also turn up the contrast beyond normal levels, which can further aid in identification, but that can result in the image being unnatural, to either pleasing or displeasing results (some people prefer a slightly oversaturated image, which is why many consumer screens like phones will ship with an oversaturated color profile by default).

In music, detail is pretty analogous to contrast. If the headphone is too dark (insufficient treble), then there's not enough contrast; the upper harmonics are too recessed so the character of instruments is lost. If the headphone is too bright, then there's an overrepresentation of the upper harmonics, so the fundamentals get overshadowed by the harmonics and you get a "glare" or "shimmer" depending on where/how the treble is over-emphasized. Then there's also imaging and staging, and greater separation can help us perceive details because they don't overlap spatially with other details. This is an area where the layering that Stax headphones have is a boon. Then there's the attack/decay (the envelope) of each note. In theory, all of these time-domain things like attack and decay should be part of the frequency response, but since they're extremely difficult to interpret from an FR graph, I discuss them in time domain. As @timb5881 mentioned above, the nature of the initial attack is a big part of the perception of detail. I compare the envelope of a note to the visual silhouette or outline of an object. A headphone that emphasizes the initial attack is effectively making the outline of the sound more apparent*. This is where the SGL Jr falls short vs the Staxen; the Jr doesn't emphasize the leading edge as much, but softens it while placing more emphasis on the decay. On instruments like cymbals, this can cause a shimmery sort of sound where each tap or hit isn't as clearly delineated as on a Stax.

* On the topic of outlines, this always reminds me of a conversation I had during college with someone who was in ROTC and was wearing their fatigues one day. I asked her what the point of the digital camo was, as it's a semi-random pattern of squares that's pretty recognizable. Little squares don't seem very camouflage-y to me, how does this camo help a soldier blend in? She said it isn't meant to make the soldier look like their surroundings, but to disrupt their silhouette, so an opponent won't immediately recognize that there is a person there.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #24,964 of 25,560
Been revising the new pads over and over, tweaking the design / materials choice :)

IMG_7380.jpegIMG_7381.jpegIMG_7382.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #24,965 of 25,560
FWIW, after trying 50+ 3rd party pads, I would use the original Stax pads on almost any headphones, but especially on Stax.

Just for fun I bought 3 different pads earlier this week, in addition to the aftermarket pads I was already using. They got here yesterday. I also got some authentic Stax 007 pads but I haven't put them on yet.

I got 2 pairs of Brainwavz and 1 pair of Dekoni. I'm not using the metal bar at all. I don't have the courage to potentially jam a piece of metal through a pair of headphones this expensive so its just sitting.

The first aftermarket pads I ever tried were Dekoni for my LCD-2 and my god, did they destroy the sound quality of the non-fazor LCD-2. The pads were so thick they looked ridiculous and completely ruined the sound signature. I'm open minded tho, just because they weren't a good fit for the LCD-2 doesn't make them bad.

The same Dekoni pads that fit Beyerdynamic also fit the 007, supposedly on the BD cans the Elite Velour raises the bass, and is by far their most popular pads. So I ordered those.

I tried the Brainwavz first, one of the pads is very small and I think I might have to glue it on so I saved that for last.

I tried the Brainwavz XL pad, its 110mm so larger then the Stax pads:
f03d732e-3c91-4192-94f1-78c47479c49b.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

They have a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo on their Amazon page, I ignored that and just tired the pad.

It was very strange going from two different angled pads to flat pads. Makes the 007 feel like a different headphone.

I need to spend more time with the Brainwavz XL to make an opinion, I was more focused on how they feel rather then sound quality. I'm happy to say they didn't destroy the 007 sound signature or anything bass was still there, rumble and all, but felt just slightly diminished. In short these were not amazing and not terrible. I might put them back on when I get home and listen for at least a couple hours before I make an opinion.

After listening to 5-10 songs and some bass test tracks I switched to the Dekoni Elite Velour.... so according to their own marketing materials this should lead to to an increase in bass. Bass being the standout feature of the 007 vs other estats I went with this because I figured any pad that is marketed as boosting the bass probably won't ruin the bass.

These did not sound as I expected at all. They are smaller then the Stax pads or Brainwavz or the other aftermarket pads I have and they are flat not angled. Makes the 007 feel tiny on my head.

Anyway I have never heard the 009, just the X9000. With these pads the 007 sounds how I imagine the 009 sounds. The Dekoni Elite Velour puts the driver close to your ear, the 007 sounds like a detail monster with them on. The bass is there but it decays quicker. I put on the bassiest songs I have including EQ in multiple forms. The bass isn't ruined by the Dekoni but it makes the 007 sound more like other estats where the bass comes and goes instantly.

It really changes the character of the 007. So far I like it but haven't decided if I want to keep them on.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #24,966 of 25,560
Been revising the new pads over and over, tweaking the design / materials choice :)

IMG_7380.jpegIMG_7381.jpegIMG_7382.jpeg

I thought about doing this before trying the blu tac mod on my L500 mk2, but the bass improved so much with the mod I'm happy with it for now. Do you like the oval pads?

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #24,967 of 25,560
I do like them, very plush, perhaps a little thick as its taking up a lot of the headband travel but good for me as I was on the lowest setting normally.

Im constantly printing new designs at the moment and reiterating to play with the opening size, trying some cleaner ways for better sealing without blutac also.

I like the extra space to keep my ears away from grills and the internal fabric cover is welcome also to as it keeps more dust out etc…

Surprisingly it doesn’t seem to mess with the soundstage at all (to my ears anyway). I tried it for a while with half half. More to come anyways

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #24,968 of 25,560
I think it was in this thread that I was talking about reducing noise with an EMI blanket over my equipment. Well I'm having another crazy experience right now.

I'm testing between R26 DAC (with the EMI blanket on it) and E70 Velvet because I just bought some Magnepans and I'm thinking of throwing my E70 I have lying around into that speaker setup but I wanted to see how it compares first. I'm testing them with the Novem and Nova Signature.

Well I started to notice I would hear noise whenever I moved my wireless mouse... It's very clearly the mouse, the noise changes immediately when I move the mouse and when I stop. Interestingly it happened with both DACs so I thought it was the tubes in the amp picking up the noise. I disconnected the RCAs and then the noise stopped. I guess maybe the cables are picking it up?

Even more interesting, the mouse I have has adjustable polling rates, 500Hz, 1000Hz, 2000Hz and 4000Hz, and sure enough when I change between them, the tone of the noise gets higher or lower. Furthermore there's a change with just 4000Hz where it starts to get static like a bad radio transmission or something whereas the other three all sound like solid tones at their corresponding frequency. My conclusion is either my mouse actually can't handle the 4000Hz polling rate cleanly or whatever is picking up the noise is partially blocking it at 4000Hz but letting the other frequencies through unchanged.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic, I just found it very interesting!

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #24,969 of 25,560
Well I started to notice I would hear noise whenever I moved my wireless mouse... It's very clearly the mouse, the noise changes immediately when I move the mouse and when I stop. Interestingly it happened with both DACs so I thought it was the tubes in the amp picking up the noise. I disconnected the RCAs and then the noise stopped. I guess maybe the cables are picking it up?

Computer audio has come a long way. Back in the 1990s I had a PS/2 mouse "overclocked" to run at 200hz. Whenever I moved the mouse you could hear a high pitched sound come through my headphones. I had yet to find the world of high end headphones or audio. I still saw a $99 Soundblaster as "high end audio"

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #24,970 of 25,560
Yeah, I hear noises from my wireless mouse too sometimes. There's a lot of EM interference on a desk that has both computer and audio equipment on it. Not a big deal, but it does make you wonder just how much invisible stuff you're being hit with as you sit there 8+ hours a day.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #24,971 of 25,560
SRD-7mk2 modded VS stock
- L500
- used the same volume settings, sounded level subjectively
- restrictive experiment due to laziness, only did two trials of each using the same playlist, switching out amps is more difficult and lengthy than to a/b headphones. If I were to compare amps more often I would buy an amp selector / switcher.

Observations:
- no obvious difference to my schiit ears
- perhaps modded set is a verrry tiny bit brighter but could not be certain

Conclusion:
- The mod was still well worth the trouble because the capacitors needed replacing anyway.
- L500 is great though a very tiny bit forward 1-2kHz. Bass quantity and "weight" is seemingly sufficient unlike SR507, similar to how I perceive RS2x versus 325e.

Another observation is that prior to modding + refurbishment, SRD-7 was giving me problems with REW measurements as it complained of high distortion with sine sweeps.
------------------------------

Now will sell spare SRD-7mk2 (stock). SR507 is already sold because I preferred L500 and now saving up for L700...

EARS, SR507 measures are with dust covers removed.:
L500_vs_SR507.jpg

^ L500 is a very nice improvement over SR507. Addresses some issues with lackluster bass and invasive 2kHz peak.

-------------------------------

Toshiba HR-810 back-electret eta is tomorrow. Interesting is that the impedance selector goes up to like 8000ohm or something crazy which should be neat to try. Will padroll.

-----------------------------

Plan to padroll SR-Xmk3 today. Will update.
IMG_2106.jpeg
^ left is Beats Solo, top-right is leather, bottom right is pleather wrapped in velour

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #24,972 of 25,560
L500_vs_SR507.jpg
^ L500 is a very nice improvement over SR507. Addresses some issues with lackluster bass and invasive 2kHz peak.

It looks like the L500 actually has better bass from the graph you posted, unless I am reading it wrong.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #24,973 of 25,560
So at first I loved the Dekoni Elite Velour with the 007, however I realized it doesn't create a seal, at all. No "Stax farts" lol. It makes it s scalpel for detail but the bass doesn't stay.

Sending back all the pads I got besides the SJY and the Brainwavz 110m. the Brainwavz does actually create a seal and has solid bass rumble that doesn't immediately evaporate into nothing.

I'm curious what other high end 100-110 mm pads sound like, maybe the more expensive Dekoni or something else.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #24,974 of 25,560
It looks like the L500 actually has better bass from the graph you posted, unless I am reading it wrong.
Yes and no. SR507 better extension, L500 more midbass quantity.

Subjective impression is that L500 is bassier, I think this is due to more mid-bass and less mid levels. L500 bass doesnt sound as “soft” or subdued as SR507, uncertain if this is just perception due to frequency response or related to driver damping and transients. Both headphones share the same drivers but differ in implementation. In general, I find less driver damping (acoustic impedance) to be preferable as perceived bass dynamics seem greater. SR507 uses a sealed front-side of driver while L500 is vented...

Seems L500’s drivers may be further distanced from ear which tends to add a more v-shaped frequency response. Further distance is not without tradeoffs of course...

Which headphone sounded more “detailed” or able to delineate gradations in sound seemingly separate from frequency response? I thought they were pretty similar but I dont value that ability so much as bass “quality” and tone so my ears may be less sensitive. Maybe I may not value “detail” as much as others simply because my ears are trash and cannot appreciate such nuance. Maybe my upstream gear isnt able to convey such information. etc

Bass qualities that matter most to me are quantity / tonal, dynamics, and distortion. I think SR507 is worse in bass quantity and dynamics. SR507 may have less bass distortion but I didnt notice subjectively. I didnt compare very much because was certain was worthwhile tradeoff anyway.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #24,975 of 25,560
I have not heard a lot good things about velour pads,aside from comfort. I purchased a set of Dekoni sheep leather fenestrated pads for my Koss ESP950 and they offer great comfort and improve the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back