The Stax Thread III
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #24,796 of 25,523
I just bought a "like new" srm-700s which is true except for that it smells like an old ashtrash... The price was good enough to bite though. I love the combination of the 700s with the 007a
I once traded for a combo amp- and cans- that smelled like this, there was a thin film of nicotine on everything. My solution was an ozone machine, it worked wonders and is useful to remove any and all odors from anywhere in the house or car. Cost me about $100 on amazon. Highly recommended.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #24,797 of 25,523
I was smoker and now vaper. When i had my first child, the smoke was forbidden in my house. Nicotime on stuffs like headphone or electronics is horrible for a smoker too imho

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #24,799 of 25,523
Does anyone know the exact measurements for pads for the 007? I have emailed various pad vendors and they tell me they need the exact measurements, I mean I could bust out a tape measure but I don't know if I am measuring the same way they would from the same spot.

Love my 007 but the pads are just a little bit too shallow

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #24,800 of 25,523
I was smoker and now vaper. When i had my first child, the smoke was forbidden in my house. Nicotime on stuffs like headphone or electronics is horrible for a smoker too imho
Newer generations like you guys are much better about this. In the early head-fi days, over 20 years ago, I bought Grado SR-225 from an older fellow named Lou Tucci. He was quite a character on these forums! And quite a smoker. His SR-225 reeked of cigarettes, and the white driver cloth was stained yellowish-brown. Not a big deal on ~125 bucks headphones, but a lesson learned to watch out for this. I think he passed on some years ago, sadly.

The SR225 sounded perfectly fine like that, but I imagine electrostats would be far less tolerant of this treatment.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #24,801 of 25,523
I just bought a "like new" srm-700s which is true except for that it smells like an old ashtrash... The price was good enough to bite though. I love the combination of the 700s with the 007a
My HE1000 showed up smelling something horrible (more BO than cigarettes) so I feel your pain.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #24,802 of 25,523
Very broad open question for all (and, surely I'm mistaken, but this doesn't seem to be a question that's been asked on any Stax forum threads, hence my venture):

Context: Plenty of people 'believe' in the power of differing DACs, power cables, interconnects, HQPlayer, etc., and plenty others take the objectivist measurement route. Me, I'm currently wrestling with whether upconverting to 256DSD with Audirvana actually improves my SQ experience versus PCM, or whether I'm just repeatedly testing positive for acute placebo disease. Yes, I've done A-B testing, and no, I don't want to talk about it.

To clarify: the question of whether or not snake oil is real is the definition of an exhausted topic. And that's not my question. (For the sake of my question, I'm assuming all snake oil is real, even though I don't believe it myself.)

The question: Do those who tinker with last-mile gear or software notice differing scales of SQ changes when paired with different HPs/AMPS (because we all agree that these things do make an obvious difference)?

An example: The all-tube Megatron is more 'forgiving' than a solid state Carbon--well, for those who think audiophile gear makes a difference, do you notice 'different differences' from one cable-amp pairing versus another? Does your 1k USB cable or 5k power cable have a different effect on a BHSE versus a KGSS, and so on?

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #24,803 of 25,523
Very broad open question for all (and, surely I'm mistaken, but this doesn't seem to be a question that's been asked on any Stax forum threads, hence my venture):

Context: Plenty of people 'believe' in the power of differing DACs, power cables, interconnects, HQPlayer, etc., and plenty others take the objectivist measurement route. Me, I'm currently wrestling with whether upconverting to 256DSD with Audirvana actually improves my SQ experience versus PCM, or whether I'm just repeatedly testing positive for acute placebo disease. Yes, I've done A-B testing, and no, I don't want to talk about it.

To clarify: the question of whether or not snake oil is real is the definition of an exhausted topic. And that's not my question. (For the sake of my question, I'm assuming all snake oil is real, even though I don't believe it myself.)

The question: Do those who tinker with last-mile gear or software notice differing scales of SQ changes when paired with different HPs/AMPS (because we all agree that these things do make an obvious difference)?

An example: The all-tube Megatron is more 'forgiving' than a solid state Carbon--well, for those who think audiophile gear makes a difference, do you notice 'different differences' from one cable-amp pairing versus another? Does your 1k USB cable or 5k power cable have a different effect on a BHSE versus a KGSS, and so on?

Long ago I used to do a lot of upstream tinkering, but quickly came to my own conclusion that in most cases differences in cables (ICs to be specific), input types (on some gear/applications these can be large differences for sure), software applications (when setup properly with the right gear), and others often render very small differences and in others no cases at all. You simply cannot generalize broadly here, acknowledging that fully, as in some cases there are major differences based on the use case and product you're talking about. But I found that you can spend a ton of time evaluating small scale differences, that like you mention, for me became more of a question of placebo vs. not; and/or, is this "difference" even better or do I perceive it to be because it's a change or because I paid for or invested time in it. (edit: tbc here I'm not including power conditioning here, which I do believe can be highly valuable to explore)

For me, the value proposition of spending a lot of time and money to explore the above just pales in comparison to the much greater and easily detectable differences in Headphones > Amps > DACs (generally in this order for me). So I choose to spend my time there. Far less worry about placebo, although bias still is at play to be aware of, and is less stressful to explore for me.

I think ultimately a lot of people just like to tinker lol. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that lol. I am not at all one of those people. Tubes are another area where I set and forget it--research tubes that are well liked, do a small level of A/B'ing and forget about it; as for me across the board mostly tubes have subtle differences (major exceptions here based on amp) and each comes with their own tradeoff. Guess you just have to figure out the philosophy that works for you. :)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #24,804 of 25,523
I agree with @number1sixerfan for the most part. Over the years I have seen a bigger effect on Sound from DAC, Amp, Headphones (no particular order there).
If the audio cables (IC mostly) and power cables are well made (not shorted out or poorly terminated) there may be a difference but it is IME very minor and not worth my money for the ROI. Having clean power and well made cables is enough for me. I did buy new balanced cables for my HD800 because I "heard" the stock cable every time I moved (some microphonics, but mostly an ergonomics/length issue though). Then I match up Headphones with the amp that drives them best and a good DAC and call it done. For my BHSE I tried a few different sets of tubes, found what I liked and then done there, too.

It's "fun" to see and listen to all the variations and combinations of gear, to a point, then it's time to just and listen to the music. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #24,805 of 25,523
I'm not sure I would say that the effect of upstream tweaks "scales" with downstream equipment per se, but that the effect of those tweaks can be magnified or drowned out by the character of the downstream equipment, like the headphones. So it's not that more expensive headphones better display the effects of the tweaks, but about whether the sound characteristics of those headphones are synergistic with those changes. It's more about synergy than scaling.

My example would be the Ferrum Erco DAC. I think it sounds different from the usual DACs like my FiiO K9 Pro. It sounds punchier, with a bit more snap to the leading edges of transients. It boosts macrodynamic impact across the entire frequency spectrum. This effect can be heard on everything that it's connected to, even as a DAC, so I can hear that increased punch on my electrostatics too if the amp is fed by the Erco. And in fact, the Erco made me put off an estat amp upgrade, because I found that I didn't really need a better amp to get more impact as the Erco did it already*. But between my two electrostatics, the L700mk2 and the SGL Jr, I think the SGL Jr is more amenable to the changes from the Erco. The Jr has flatter bass and a more recessed midrange, so the added punch of the Erco makes its bass more dynamic and the midrange more filled in during the leading edges of notes, like drums are being played with a harder hit and vocal notes are pronounced with more emphasis and energy. The L700mk2 already has a bass resonance from its ported driver and it already has a midrange emphasis, so the increased dynamics aren't as prominent. In fact, the increased dynamics alongside the midrange emphasis can make the sound more fatiguing. So the dynamics improvement of the Erco compensated for the weaknesses of the SGL Jr which made its effect more pronounced while the L700 didn't have those weaknesses (or the weaknesses in those areas were of a different nature), so the effect was subdued (though still noticeable to me).

* As an aside, the Erco caused me to be quite disappointed in the BHSE when I first heard it at a meet with a Chord Hugo 2 as the DAC. I was expecting the punchy and snappy sound that I would hear back home on the Erco + modded SRM-006t chain, but instead I heard flatter bass impact. I was thinking "I thought it would be punchier". But then I remembered that the punch and snap to the sound I'm using to hearing came from the Erco, not the amp, so I would need to feed the BHSE with the Erco to get a proper comparison. Hence my protocol now is that before I go to a meet or show or demo, I spend a day listening to my headphones like the SGL Jr on a different chain that doesn't include the Erco so that the Erco doesn't affect my expectations of what that headphone should sound like.

Since DSD conversion was brought up, I'll throw in my two cents, though I haven't used any fancy DSD conversion tools like HQPlayer or Audirvana. I got a new Walkman a few months ago and it has a DSD Remastering function in its DSP suite. I think it sounds good, but it's more in the realm of different rather than better. I think it's a good flavor to have on hand, so I can switch between the DSD sound and the regular sound on the fly and it can help soften some aggressively mastered tracks.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #24,806 of 25,523

If you went down this route. ideally you would have an established chain first and then pick out high-end ICs that you perceive to have good synergy with that specific chain, so at that point it'd be mostly irrelevant if those cables provide a tangible benefit on lower-end/different equipment.

In other words if the question is "Do these high-end ICs provide a universal benefit to everything" I'd say the answer is basically no, because you picked those ICs because they specifically sounded good with your BHSE as opposed to a KGST setup which would potentially call for something different.

By extension I think these sort of purchases fall into the "I 100% have my final endgame setup and am now just tinkering with it because I ran out of other things to spend money on" scenario that was mentioned above.

If you only have one main setup and this is your primary/only hobby, I think it is actually not too hard to hit that point. Sure stuff like the Megatron and X9000 are very expensive, but they are one-time purchases, I know people who spend more than that every single year maintaining hobbies like boating or even golf.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #24,807 of 25,523
Long ago I used to do a lot of upstream tinkering, but quickly came to my own conclusion that in most cases differences in cables (ICs to be specific), input types (on some gear/applications these can be large differences for sure), software applications (when setup properly with the right gear), and others often render very small differences and in others no cases at all. You simply cannot generalize broadly here, acknowledging that fully, as in some cases there are major differences based on the use case and product you're talking about. But I found that you can spend a ton of time evaluating small scale differences, that like you mention, for me became more of a question of placebo vs. not; and/or, is this "difference" even better or do I perceive it to be because it's a change or because I paid for or invested time in it. (edit: tbc here I'm not including power conditioning here, which I do believe can be highly valuable to explore)

For me, the value proposition of spending a lot of time and money to explore the above just pales in comparison to the much greater and easily detectable differences in Headphones > Amps > DACs (generally in this order for me). So I choose to spend my time there. Far less worry about placebo, although bias still is at play to be aware of, and is less stressful to explore for me.

I think ultimately a lot of people just like to tinker lol. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that lol. I am not at all one of those people. Tubes are another area where I set and forget it--research tubes that are well liked, do a small level of A/B'ing and forget about it; as for me across the board mostly tubes have subtle differences (major exceptions here based on amp) and each comes with their own tradeoff. Guess you just have to figure out the philosophy that works for you. :)
Same. I've spent a lot of time and money playing with high end interconnects, power cords, isolation devices, power conditioners, etc etc. These days, my attitude leans ever closer to "to hell with them!", though I still have a lot of this stuff. They can seem to have a "large" impact on first blush, but this always seems to dissipate over time - yes, often fringing on "am I really hearing this or is it placebo". Even if a few such items seem to bring sonic benefits in isolation, you might think their effects should be additive (positive) in combination - but this is rarely the case. The cumulative effects are rarely predictable or even positive. Too many times I've upgraded to the next level expensive cable, only to be disappointed and prefer the old one. You can surely convince yourself over time, your system stuffed with high end tweaks sounds "next level", only to remove all that stuff and...it sounds great...maybe even better lol. OR you hear a new system absent of tweaks, and it blows you away because the main component synergy is more correct.

Isolation really REALLY matters with turntables (and only there), but the high end isolation widgets are often at odds with the physics of what's actually needed there. Tubes also definitely make a more substantial difference than the other tweaks, but here too I'm tiring of the chase for "holy grail" tubes. Good non-grail tubes are affordable and plentiful.

It's always better to invest in top quality for your major components (whether tubed or not). Seeking out the highest quality components (not always the most expensive!) has paid off for me. The tweaky stuff hasn't.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #24,808 of 25,523
Main cables are the worst upgrade. Now i use a normal main cable. About ic i spent some money. Now i use a cable with occ conductor for around 100€. When i have upgraded hp cables, sometimes i preferred the original

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #24,809 of 25,523
Because the SR 4070 comes with its own flight case, I do tend to forget about it… Taking it out for an extended run out. :)

IMG_1964.jpeg

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #24,810 of 25,523

But I found that you can spend a ton of time evaluating small scale differences, that like you mention, for me became more of a question of placebo vs. not; and/or, is this "difference" even better or do I perceive it to be because it's a change or because I paid for or invested time in it.

I think ultimately a lot of people just like to tinker lol.
It's "fun" to see and listen to all the variations and combinations of gear, to a point, then it's time to just and listen to the music. :L3000:
I'm not sure I would say that the effect of upstream tweaks "scales" with downstream equipment per se, but that the effect of those tweaks can be magnified or drowned out by the character of the downstream equipment, like the headphones.

I got a new Walkman a few months ago and it has a DSD Remastering function in its DSP suite. I think it sounds good, but it's more in the realm of different rather than better. I think it's a good flavor to have on hand, so I can switch between the DSD sound and the regular sound on the fly and it can help soften some aggressively mastered tracks.
By extension I think these sort of purchases fall into the "I 100% have my final endgame setup and am now just tinkering with it because I ran out of other things to spend money on" scenario that was mentioned above.
These days, my attitude leans ever closer to "to hell with them!", though I still have a lot of this stuff. They can seem to have a "large" impact on first blush, but this always seems to dissipate over time - yes, often fringing on "am I really hearing this or is it placebo".
Seeking out the highest quality components (not always the most expensive!) has paid off for me. The tweaky stuff hasn't.
These. All responses warmly appreciated. I posted this question on the Stax thread specifically because estat owners (yes I'm generalising but seems fair) don't seem to put much emphasis on the 'tweaks'. Everyone's responses here fit that pattern. (Plus, the builder estat experts on 'the other site' pretty much unanimously scoff at the kind of 'tweaks' referred to here.)

Yet threads about tweaks make up quite a lot of Head-fi content, then go over to Audiophilestyle and you find an ocean of tweakers...though it seems like few estat HP owners.

I'm definitely in the camp of 'You just paid a ton of money for a "difference" that is completely subjective and in no way superior.' The only 'synergies' I have noticed so far have been between HP and Amp, and maybe just maybe my DACs. But rather than asking, 'Is the whole hifi audio industry fuelled by anxiety, placebo and people with money who are desperate to send their ears to heaven?', which needs no answer, now I'm left wondering whether estats and estat gear are less susceptible to tweak-benefit...or, because they are already so satisfied with the gear that actually matters, whether estat owners are less susceptible to the urge for tweaks.

Pontification over, happy listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back