The Stax Thread III
Jul 4, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #23,851 of 25,530
Every time I went back to the x9000 it sounded thin and bass-light.

While I play around quite a bit with headphones (Stax), at the end of the day I remain primarily a 2 channel guy. In that world "source first" ALWAYS rules. It should be the same here, imho, however frequently it is not.

While I realize totl DAC's are a luxury for most I have been fortunate to enjoy several along the way. I recently changed my headphone system and removed a Linn Organik DS from my Kerry T2 and moved the entire system into the two channel room and connected the T2 to my dCS Rossini APEX/Clock.

I dare anyone to take a listen to the X9000 and state it does not do bass. Actually I do not want any more bass than it currently puts out.
Kudos to the X9000 by showing the incredibly high resolution it is capable of as demonstrated by its ability to continually scale higher even when presented with two end game DAC's. Each time the source is upgraded the X9000 responds in kind.
Who knows what it would sound like fronted by a Vivaldi APEX:wink:

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #23,852 of 25,530
In some circles, source-first rules. I have a pretty high end 2ch, and like with Stax headphones (specifically with DIY T2 -- that's what gives the 009 its bass impact and warmth), found my biggest quality gains came from amp (so far). Rocking some VAC Master 300iQ tube monoblocks in the 2ch now -- it's the most $ I've spent on a single audio component. WORTH IT. Massive improvements across the board.

With source, to me it's more about matching its sonic "personality" to work with your downstream. And vinyl / analog gives me a lot more range and variety to do this with. It's also been hard for me to find a phono cartridge I don't really like (at least starting with MC's). Digital is OK, but never really jives with me.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #23,853 of 25,530
I also had multiple 007s over the years, a 717xx, early SZ2 (the first 007 Mk2 generation) and a 2015 007A. It's safe to say I'm a fan but a bit less so now that I've started EQing.

The 71xxx was the best, it's the closest to what I hear as lifelike but a bit dark and slightly sleepy. It definitely needs both power to wake up, and a bit of volume too. It is deceptively resolving and has a ton of inner detail, but because the presence region is a bit recessed it seems less resolving than it is on first listen. It's also very fluid sounding, and the combination of smoothness and real resolution is very rare and only the really high-end stuff pulls it off well. And also the HD650 for some reason...

The first gen Mk2 I didn't like as much, it had a fairly nasal midrange, but I sold it off before I could experiment with it. It is possible that with mods and EQ it might be very good.

The current 007A is more v-shaped, the treble is fairly aggressive actually but it is also more lively and dynamic than the old ones. But the mids are still a bit nasal and I haven't been able to EQ that out. I think it might be very good with a bit of work, but I've put it on hold for now as I don't have the best amp for it.

I'm curious to see how the 009 and X9000 respond to EQ but that's a project for a much later time. Though with 009 prices dropping maybe I should get one...

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #23,854 of 25,530
009 on yahoo are dirt cheap. Lowest I saw is about $1400.
Probably will pick up 2 for 3k next year for the heck of it.

Such a shame. From $5000 to $1400.
Makes me wonder all these overpriced price increase of these so call totl endgame headphones in the near future.

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #23,855 of 25,530
And vinyl / analog gives me a lot more range and variety to do this with..
since you brought up the analog analogy, I will simply paraphrase MBE Ivor Tiefenbrun founder of Linn Products Glasgow - LP12

Source first always…. There is a lot of information inside those grooves. One needs the best source possible to extract it. Lesser sources will leave some music behind. An amplifier, or speakers, cannot amplify or project what is not there to begin with.

A totl T2 can only amplify what it is given. If your source left some music behind then……..

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #23,856 of 25,530
Such a shame. From $5000 to $1400.
Makes me wonder all these overpriced price increase of these so call totl endgame headphones in the near future
You mean in Japan? I feel a lot of this is coming from our weakening JPY which is making a lot of foreign buyers scoop up our items while here overseas.

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #23,857 of 25,530
In the US too. There have been a couple of them listed below $1600 recently.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #23,858 of 25,530
The used market as a whole is pretty tough these days. I have gear I would like to unload, but I'm in no rush, as the used going prices aren't too hot. Across the board. I'm a bit more hesitant now than ever on buying new products as it's becoming a bit harder to sell off. Will pass eventually.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #23,859 of 25,530
The used market as a whole is pretty tough these days. I have gear I would like to unload, but I'm in no rush, as the used going prices aren't too hot. Across the board. I'm a bit more hesitant now than ever on buying new products as it's becoming a bit harder to sell off. Will pass eventually.
Only really applies to electrostats due to the tiny market segment and exposure. Other gear still has great resale value.

One of the reasons I wont buy high end electrostat amps or headphones based on user reviews…

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #23,860 of 25,530
Only really applies to electrostats due to the tiny market segment and exposure. Other gear still has great resale value.

One of the reasons I wont buy high end electrostat amps or headphones based on user reviews…

Stat market is more niche for sure, but I'm seeing this across the board, again which is why I have held off selling a few planars I have to sell. But some models are holding their value more than others, for sure. I'm assuming as economic stability broadly improves, the market will pick back up.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #23,861 of 25,530
The market now is like NYSE. Depending if an headphone is on the wave

Jul 6, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #23,862 of 25,530
Stat market is more niche for sure, but I'm seeing this across the board, again which is why I have held off selling a few planars I have to sell. But some models are holding their value more than others, for sure. I'm assuming as economic stability broadly improves, the market will pick back up.
Nah. You're prepped for end days. Can't come soon enough. I've got a lot of listening to do.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #23,863 of 25,530
Today I got OG T2. What a beast! First listen was amazing, just wow!

Attachments

• 20230706_172203.jpg
    20230706_172203.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back