The Stax Thread III
Apr 29, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #23,596 of 25,560
Yeah the new Lambdas are generally pretty well tuned, aside from a few annoying colorations.

But, to go on a bit of a tangent:

I'm not sure a percentage compliance score is a useful metric. It's not just how closely a headphone follows Harman, it's where it deviates that matters. Between let's say 300hz and 1.5khz is where you want close compliance, as user preferences are generally quite consistent in this area. Below 300hz though there is more variation in user preference, and above 2khz and especially above 4khz it becomes a total crapshoot as ear anatomy starts to matter and everybody hears very differently.

So yeah the L700 might be 84% compliant but with a 5db bump at 1.2khz the mids are gonna be colored. If these deviations were elsewhere though it might not be as audible.

It's also why I don't think blindly using profiles is likely to give you a good result. You kinda need to make your own to match your ears. But learning to do that takes time.

Excellent assessment and post.

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #23,597 of 25,560
Not really 😛

All Stax headphones are coloration mess. They are all unnatural, unrealistic and wonky.

You taking a Harman frequency and placing it on a coloration mess headphone technology. If not understanding this, than no one will ever figure anything out.

😆 🤣
Harman master is on first page of Onkyo A800, all answers and understanding from there.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #23,598 of 25,560
Not really 😛

All Stax headphones are coloration mess. They are all unnatural, unrealistic and wonky.

You taking a Harman frequency and placing it on a coloration mess headphone technology. If not understanding this, than no one will ever figure anything out.

I'll wait for it... screw you protoss 😆 🤣
Harman master is on first page of Onkyo A800, all answers and understanding from there.

Harman target is nothing more than a reference of averages. Which is ok. It's a tool that can be used very effectively if one is savvy. For someone new it's a good data point to influence where to start with. For people more experienced, it's a helpful data point to reference against one's own preferences.

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #23,599 of 25,560
Harman target is nothing more than a reference of averages. Which is ok. It's a tool that can be used very effectively if one is savvy. For someone new it's a good data point to influence where to start with. For people more experienced, it's a helpful data point to reference against one's own preferences.
Totally agree.

I do agree, but slightly I believe it might be the best we have. I mention elsewhere, a few deviation from the curve is most likely the answer.

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #23,600 of 25,560
Totally agree.

I do agree, but slightly I believe it might be the best we have. I mention elsewhere, a few deviation from the curve is most likely the answer.
Just for curiosity: which is your reference headphone considering harman target?

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #23,601 of 25,560
Just for curiosity: which is your reference headphone considering harman target?
HD600 92% and Onkyo A800 90%

It was the Onkyo A800 that revolutionized my thinking in the last 12 months—I got a whole new perspective on natural, human sound.
The A800 made me think, wait a minute, it’s an HD600 but with bass, but the darn bass is thunderous. How is this possible? Then I realized the Harman is not gospel, and deviation from it must be so.

All the revelation is found on the Onkyo A800 thread. The previous post above echoes what I was writing months ago :p I am just having fun with them because they are repeating the same ideas I was saying. I was saying those exact things a long time ago

I also wrote, imagine a 100% Harman curve within an HD800. What does that really mean? Furthermore, went on to say drivers should be 100% Harman off the bat, a Harman Driver, and it’s up to the companies to distort (deviate) about 10% of the frequency to make it unique.
I said all that plus more, but of course, later on, people will repeat again what I said and claim I must not know this :deadhorse:

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #23,602 of 25,560
If it was me, I would be looking at something from Birger aka The Stax Mafia. The new Stax amps are overpriced retreads of previous amps they made.
The SR-L500 is a good choice and value. The L700 is the best Lambda I have ever heard (most) over the years. The L700 to my knowledge uses the same stator material as the 009 and X9000 TOTL but into big spending. I agree that you should consider something from Birgir. His amps start around $3000. Check what he might have to recommend.

May 1, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #23,604 of 25,560
I'm kind of interested in the HE-90 in the classifieds. The owner seems to use them with a T2 without a ballast resistor. Should I be concerned about damage to the headphones from that?

Idk if anyone will really be able to say. I would maybe reach out to Kerry or Spritzer about it, but again I don't know that either would have much to say. I would just say to try and use an appropriate solution going forward if you do.

May 1, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #23,605 of 25,560
Idk if anyone will really be able to say. I would maybe reach out to Kerry or Spritzer about it, but again I don't know that either would have much to say. I would just say to try and use an appropriate solution going forward if you do.

Thanks. I'm going to pass on them. Turns out only the drivers are original. I think the price is too high, considering.

May 3, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #23,606 of 25,560
Okay, did the Blu-tak earpad mod on my modded L300 Limiteds, but with Loctite Fun-tak:
i-2gDVRWT.jpg

Absolutely REDICULOUS how they sound now...absolutely noticeable improvement in low end extension and impact, along with a better sense of space and with details that seem a little more accessable/noticeable. Only possible downside is it seems just ever so slightly slower to me... like the sound is just a bit less instant.

Bass absolutely reminds me of the 404 Limited, but it's in a brighter, more spaceous and open sounding headphone... I likey!

EDIT: why does Kikuo sound awesome on STAX...

What the HECK are you doing with the panning Kikuo?!?! Freaking vertical & horizontal, circular panning that speeds up... LOL

And DAT sealed L300 limited BASS...who slipped in Fostex biodyna drivers into my STAX?! LOL

I just got my L300 LTD and also applied the blutak mod. They seal 100% and I get the stax farts. But I find the blutak mod removes quite a big amount of mid bass. I will try opening some areas to get a better distribution between mid and subbass. If possible, I don't want to use EQ. Otherwise I will seal it completely again and just use EQ for the mid bass.

May 3, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #23,607 of 25,560
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but somehow I couldn’t find one:
Have anyone shared DIY steps or video to replace Stax 007 MK1 head pad?

My one is already quite stretched and thinking to cut (shorten) it a bit.
Would be great please if anyone can point me out to the right direction…

Thanks in advance!

May 3, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #23,608 of 25,560
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but somehow I couldn’t find one:
Have anyone shared DIY steps or video to replace Stax 007 MK1 head pad?

My one is already quite stretched and thinking to cut (shorten) it a bit.
Would be great please if anyone can point me out to the right direction…

Thanks in advance!
http://audiohobby.pl/index.php?topic=9937.75

May 5, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #23,610 of 25,560
Hi,

Has anyone used Stax SRM-007ta amp to drive their SR-007 headphones. I have Stax SRM-007ta up from sale that I only used with SR-009s headphones and one of our fellow head-fier was asking if SRM-007ta would have any issues driving SR-007 headphones, since I dint have an answer I wanted to check in this thread if anyone used this combo and if there were any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back