The Stax Thread III
Feb 21, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #23,311 of 25,682
Odd, cause the BHSE is also an amp that I've been using for over 6+ years. (In case you're wondering, humidity was around 88% last night.)

I'm not disagreeing with moisture and humidity possibly damaging your equipment. I'm saying that these stories tend to lead a life of their own. I'll be sure to report back should one of mine fail and humidity is established to be the cause of it.
It is odd, but it apparently still happened (and yes, there may be more to the story than we know, but...) the one I am talking about was in Hong Kong:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition.439657/page-266#post-9817310

When I was in Hong Kong it reminded me of Houston, TX, 100+ degrees F, 100% humidity and it was not raining, The Hotel I was in only had AC in the room and not in the hallways or Lobby. The AC units discharged into the hallways which made the hallways constantly wet and hot, like a sauna. This was quite a few years ago...mid '80s...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #23,313 of 25,682
Have you all seen the information about the topping amplifier?

If the price is good, I think we can replace the kgsshv.
shut up and take my money.gif

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #23,314 of 25,682
Have you all seen the information about the topping amplifier?

If the price is good, I think we can replace the kgsshv.
It would have been nice to link to that info. Here's what I've found: Discussion thread on the EHA5
This is the first I've heard of it. It would be interesting to see what's inside, and to have the usual amp-building folks take a look too. Spritzer has contacts in China, so he shouldn't have much difficulty getting his hands on it.

In other news, Woo Audio is making another estat amp, as seen on the CanJam NYC preview video. WA7e, $1400, same form factor as the WA7 Fireflies, includes a DAC, and uses 2 12AU7 tubes. I took a brief look at a 12AU7 datasheet and it doesn't seem to have as high a plate voltage as the 6CG7s used in the T1 and descendant amps. So probably a relatively low-output amp, and I'd wonder, given recent revelations on the 3ES, if it wasn't using an Apex-based output stage as well, since it includes pre-amp outputs too. It would be a bit of a shame if it wasn't a good amp, as I really like its form factor and there's a dearth of compact electrostatic amps.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #23,315 of 25,682
I wonder which brand these headphones are from.

I think it's a moon drop product. I'm glad they finally decided to make e-stat headphones.

Attachments

• 20230220111859front2_0_813690_FvQvJb_fT1ntHS_O4E1syKKtiJ6u.jpg
    20230220111859front2_0_813690_FvQvJb_fT1ntHS_O4E1syKKtiJ6u.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #23,316 of 25,682
I wonder which brand these headphones are from.

I think it's a moon drop product. I'm glad they finally decided to make e-stat headphones.
Likely the Moondrop Zero, their planned $1000 electrostatic headphone. I haven't heard much about it in several months, but I'm not a big Moondrop follower so I don't closely watch their forums.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #23,318 of 25,682
Just got my SR 007 on the 20th and I'm hearing noise like a telegraph in the left channel when nothing is playing.
No channel imbalance yet and I've kept them in the Stax plastic cover when not in use, but the same thing happened to my 95X which lead to a significant channel imbalance. I use a Mjolnir Audio SRM-006t. Is this just dust on the driver picking up noise? I don't want to have to send them to Japan for repairs two days after getting them.

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #23,319 of 25,682
Try to experiment with pushing the driver towards you at various points, see if it changes in any way.
Could be just a piece of dust/lint sitting on the dust cover itself, you need a rocket air blower like this one, a Phillips screwdriver to take the plate off (be careful not to drop those screws) and some patience to reassemble when you're done (even if it still does not change, at least you are be able to see if the dust cover is fully intact, it usually is).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #23,320 of 25,682
Just got my SR 007 on the 20th and I'm hearing noise like a telegraph in the left channel when nothing is playing.
No channel imbalance yet and I've kept them in the Stax plastic cover when not in use, but the same thing happened to my 95X which lead to a significant channel imbalance. I use a Mjolnir Audio SRM-006t. Is this just dust on the driver picking up noise? I don't want to have to send them to Japan for repairs two days after getting them.
Edit: Just a thought but, if the same thing happened to another set of earspeakers, are you sure its the earspeakers and not the energizer? Can you swap the inputs on the energizer (left to right channels) and see if the sound follows the swap? This will rule out the source at least.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #23,321 of 25,682
I tried swapping the inputs on the amp and the sound didn't follow. Nobody's perfect, but I bought the amp from Birgir last March and feel as though he'd catch it before sending it out.
I'm not keen on opening up electrostats, especially when the environment caused the noise. If it starts causing a noticeable imbalance I'll send them in, I just wanted some consensus on the source of the issue.
Despite the issue, the SR-007 are fantastic. The upgrade reminds me of going from the D7000 to the LCD-2, and from there to the LCD-3. It's like Audeze made an electrostat.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #23,322 of 25,682
I tried swapping the inputs on the amp and the sound didn't follow. Nobody's perfect, but I bought the amp from Birgir last March and feel as though he'd catch it before sending it out.
I'm not keen on opening up electrostats, especially when the environment caused the noise. If it starts causing a noticeable imbalance I'll send them in, I just wanted some consensus on the source of the issue.
Despite the issue, the SR-007 are fantastic. The upgrade reminds me of going from the D7000 to the LCD-2, and from there to the LCD-3. It's like Audeze made an electrostat.
Love Birgir - all my amps are Mjolnir - but A friend of mine had a KGSSHv from him and the XLR outputs were not wired correctly. Turned out it was just a one off issue (everyone is human) - so it could be the amp.

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #23,323 of 25,682
But Audeze did make an electrostat 🤔😁

Sorry 3AM wake up humor

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #23,324 of 25,682
The perfect zinger.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #23,325 of 25,682
Yeah duh, Thinking about it more, I misspoke a little bit in my earlier post .... This rules out the source, (added this to the original post) so now it's down to the earspeakers or the energizer.
Did you also try the second socket on the energizer? Does the issue follow to it?
How about with volume pot movement? even without music playing, does the sound change or go away at anypoint when you turn the pot?
Do you have another set of earspeakers you can try? If you haven't already?
Also just for S&G, did you try discharging the 007s? Unplug them and then put your finger on the pins on the end of the cable to discharge the earspeakers. couldn't hurt to try it. :)
You could also, very lightly, with canned air, blow all the dust out of or off of the earspeakers, inside and out. Just don't go to aggressive as that might push the debris further into them. It's worth a try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back