The Stax Thread III
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #23,162 of 25,569
I think the enclosure of the transformer is good looking and it allows to realize a one box design without the need of wiring and connectors between two housings. I also prefer the tube arrangement with the small tubes in front, compared to other builds.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #23,163 of 25,569
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #23,164 of 25,569
Nope, I didn't have any issues and I think that was ultimately addressed. But as others mentioned, I would only buy a WES if I found an extremely good deal. There are too many options out there now, that I'd go with first.
Makes sense. :) Thanks

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #23,165 of 25,569
For those who are interested in comparisons of Megatron with other amps, here are few links which helped me some time ago.

In this thread Nopants introduced Megatron and compared it to KGST, KGSShv and BHSE.
My SRM 007 tA CCS/6S4A mod should come close to KGST, and the Grounded Grid I had here is according to few who have/built both deviating only in nuances from BHSE. Assuming this comparison is valid, I could sign every sentence Nopants is writing about sound signature. His description is much better than I could write it down. In between some interesting tech talk posts of compentent builders.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/megatron-electrostatic-amplifier.773778/

Here a link from HC where dingding123 writes about his Megatron build and comparison to GG and Carbon (last post of the page). Also his impressions mirror mine with all three amps (with the exception that I found GG sounding good with Mullard reissued EL34).

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/10783-megatron-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier/page/41/

On page one of this HC thread, you find some interesting posts from Kevin Gilmore, who designed this amp.

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/10783-megatron-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier/

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #23,166 of 25,569
Funny, I'm actually using Soren's (affordable) Megatron this morning to compare Crosby Stills and Nash (RIP David Crosby) with an x9000 versus a Sigma/404, to decide what to keep.

What's interesting/shocking (for me) is just how big the step up is for x9000s with Megatron as opposed to the Carbon--someone on another thread called x9000 surgical, which makes it sometimes borderline unlistenable on a Carbon. This is never the case on MT--everything is smoothed out. Whereas the Sigma/404 is clearly better with the Carbon--for chamber music, the performers are sitting on my knee.

I know nothing about engineering, luckily Soren makes both amps at a high standard and regularly answers my questions, if I'm polite. So I guess I'll keep...everything?

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #23,167 of 25,569
YES, keep everything!! You'd be terribly sorry otherwise Adam... :)

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #23,168 of 25,569
Funny, I'm actually using Soren's (affordable) Megatron this morning to compare Crosby Stills and Nash (RIP David Crosby) with an x9000 versus a Sigma/404, to decide what to keep.

What's interesting/shocking (for me) is just how big the step up is for x9000s with Megatron as opposed to the Carbon--someone on another thread called x9000 surgical, which makes it sometimes borderline unlistenable on a Carbon. This is never the case on MT--everything is smoothed out. Whereas the Sigma/404 is clearly better with the Carbon--for chamber music, the performers are sitting on my knee.

I know nothing about engineering, luckily Soren makes both amps at a high standard and regularly answers my questions, if I'm polite. So I guess I'll keep...everything?

Seems the x9000 behaves similarly to the Sennheiser He90 Orpheus where it just sounds better on all-tube designs.
The older Stax like Omega/007/vintage lambda just need tons of power since the sound signature is smoother.

Curious when the inevitable x9000S or x9000 mk2 if they can do something to get it closer to sr-omega timber since from a hardware perspective they're pretty close.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #23,169 of 25,569
The more I read comparative reviews of the Stax and electrostatics in general, the more I am shocked at how underrated the SR-009 model is, and this reflects its current price on the used market (generally the same price or even cheaper than an SR-007 MK1/MK2, for example). I ask your permission to assume the cretinous role of prophet: one day, when the ethereal, diaphanous, dreamlike nature of the Stax so exquisitely represented in this model is completely eliminated, so that they all sound "earthy" and "heavy", that is, when they sound like anything else built with any other technology, then the immaterial ghost SR-009 will come back to haunt us... costing 8k, of course.

I recently had the X9000 in my home, a pleasure provided by a friend.

The inevitable question I asked myself: is this really a Stax? It seemed to me that Stax has produced a model for those who don't really like the electrostatic sound.

Yes! Just want to echo these thoughts that the 009 don't get enough love and are unfairly maligned. Now I will admit much like the venerable Sennheiser HD650 they are headphones that truly show their worth when mated with the right electronics, but boy can they sound exquisite. Gone is the upper frequency harshness and instead you get a punchy, blisteringly fast headphone that covers all frequencies and music genres.

Love mine to pieces. Thinking of upgrading my power amp later in the year and I can only imagine what improvements that will bring.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #23,170 of 25,569
The more I read comparative reviews of the Stax and electrostatics in general, the more I am shocked at how underrated the SR-009 model is, and this reflects its current price on the used market (generally the same price or even cheaper than an SR-007 MK1/MK2, for example). I ask your permission to assume the cretinous role of prophet: one day, when the ethereal, diaphanous, dreamlike nature of the Stax so exquisitely represented in this model is completely eliminated, so that they all sound "earthy" and "heavy", that is, when they sound like anything else built with any other technology, then the immaterial ghost SR-009 will come back to haunt us... costing 8k, of course.

I recently had the X9000 in my home, a pleasure provided by a friend.

The inevitable question I asked myself: is this really a Stax? It seemed to me that Stax has produced a model for those who don't really like the electrostatic sound.

The 009 is an absolute revelation. There is nothing more resolving at the price point, at all. Just an incredible headphone. The air, the clarity, the holographic nature of it. Just incredible. One of the greatest things Stax ever did.

Imo an epitome of what Stax has stood for generally.

The x9000, Omega and even the 007 are much different from the typical sound expected from stats, but also imo much welcomed and diversifies things greatly. The brand overall is so polarizing, which I love.

Btw.. I've sold two x9000 to 009 zealots and both of them (like myself) have been beyond impressed and floored :)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #23,171 of 25,569
My 009S and X9000 on my T2 are absolutely endgame however I still cannot forget my demo of the 009/BHSE back in 2017 when I returned to Headfi after a 12 year absence.

Would I be crazy looking for a 009 or should I leave well enough alone and let my 009S fill that niche? The X9000 will still get most of my listening time.

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #23,172 of 25,569
The 009 is an absolute revelation. There is nothing more resolving at the price point, at all. Just an incredible headphone. The air, the clarity, the holographic nature of it. Just incredible. One of the greatest things Stax ever did.

Imo an epitome of what Stax has stood for generally.

The x9000, Omega and even the 007 are much different from the typical sound expected from stats, but also imo much welcomed and diversifies things greatly. The brand overall is so polarizing, which I love.

Btw.. I've sold two x9000 to 009 zealots and both of them (like myself) have been beyond impressed and floored :)
Cannot more than agree to that!!!

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #23,173 of 25,569
My 009S and X9000 on my T2 are absolutely endgame however I still cannot forget my demo of the 009/BHSE back in 2017 when I returned to Headfi after a 12 year absence.

Would I be crazy looking for a 009 or should I leave well enough alone and let my 009S fill that niche? The X9000 will still get most of my listening time.
The 009 imo was and still a greater technological leap than the 009S. You should grab a pair they so cheap now.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #23,175 of 25,569
hmm..

BHSE with 4x EL34 tubes
^^
^^
KGST with 4x 6S4A tubes+CCS (higher anode currents, higher rail voltages)
^^
SRM-007t II with 4x 6S4A tubes+CCS
^^
^^
SRM007t II with CCS and original 4x 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back