The Stax Thread III
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #23,191 of 25,623
And, are you happy with your ED-1? Mine sits around unsed since many years since I use ROON and the ORATORY1990 convolver settings for my STAXes...

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #23,192 of 25,623
And, are you happy with your ED-1? Mine sits around unsed since many years since I use ROON and the ORATORY1990 convolver settings for my STAXes...
Yup. Adds a nice dimension to the Lambda Pro. Not tried the rest of the Lambda series as yet. :)

Ah yes. I use more than just Roon. By the way, how does the ORATORY 1990 work and where can one get it? Thanks!

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #23,193 of 25,623
Yup. Adds a nice dimension to the Lambda Pro. Not tried the rest of the Lambda series as yet. :)

Ah yes. I use more than just Roon. By the way, how does the ORATORY 1990 work and where can one get it? Thanks!
Well, guess you have ROON running? I could send you my set of Convolver files for STAX which I have assembled over time for all my Staxes. Send me a PM and we’ll work it out!

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #23,194 of 25,623
Well, guess you have ROON running? I could send you my set of Convolver files for STAX which I have assembled over time for all my Staxes. Send me a PM and we’ll work it out!
Yes, I do. Will do! Thanks 🙏

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #23,195 of 25,623
Big shout out to @KDS315 ! Enjoying this. :)

FD5B7D18-CB41-4A19-BBE8-B4EC88039A0F.png

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #23,196 of 25,623
Feb 1, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #23,197 of 25,623
1825B6A3-F0C9-4D64-96D6-67F3A1B3A065.jpeg

In these days I had the opportunity to listen to a more unique than rare piece, which can easily go hand in hand with the grandmother R10, gentlemen, to you the stax 4070!
I think it's the only one I was missing to listen to all closed back summits.
I consider myself very lucky, and I must say that despite the aesthetics, which I doubt many would appreciate..lol...it sound with a delicious freshness.
you feel that it belongs to a now extinct timbre, it remains a sound belonging to the stax house, but a much more colorful; undoubtedly a headphone that excites, an absolutely revealing headphone, it delights you with every macro detail that the piece poses to the listener, figuratively speaking , the stax 4070 is the equivalent of a great supertuscan wine, a sassicaia 2000 opened today; it is true, it has remained with the blend of 20 years ago, but it appears mature with an incredible balance between delicate tannins, a rich bouquet fruity with notes of wood, and persistent in the mouth.
Here, the 4070 does not differ in anything; it looks old but each frequency is perfectly in its place, indeed I will say, I am very surprised by the bass that this grandmother is able to offer, full-bodied, precise as only stax can and surprisingly controlled.
wide dynamics and the puch explodes when
the song asks for it.
on the high frequencies it is sparkling, lively, but not at all stressful, and it is precisely here that the punch is the master in my opinion.
I don't know how to express it, but it has something that today's locks are missing.. here I hear the music, yes, I feel a critical judge of the piece, but always with the pleasure of showing you what music is.
art, well done stax!
Drive with
Topping d90se DAC
Stax SRM-717

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #23,198 of 25,623
What a "lucky" coincidence that one was just listed for sale here (for a quite high price considering recent sales)... :wink:

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #23,199 of 25,623
What a "lucky" coincidence that one was just listed for sale here (for a quite high price considering recent sales)... :wink:
And tell me..do you find any problem about it?you know,however this is still a forum to share your thoughts about this world,and even though i have my product for sale,first thing i didn't put any link about the ad so i'm not spamming the thread , second thing remains my opinion, shareable or not, third thing I'm not inciting anyone to buy anything, if for me it represents a cult object and it sounds good what can I do about it lol
fourth thing, I don't care about the old sales, I look at what is now on the market, and there are no more than three, all above 3800.
useful headfiers like you :)

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #23,200 of 25,623
ah and next thing, I forgot..not everyone can say they have listened to a stax 4070, and if I consider myself lucky to have listened to it, I'll write everything I want about it :) I think, but above all I hope that at least this is clear to you.
you also have the right to write whatever you want, but the difference is that in addition to the thread I don't touch anyone, with your great assumptions you want to imply that I write this to encourage them to buy my stuff.
genius

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #23,203 of 25,623
I had 4070. Good headphone but shouty mids. Would not pay more then 1000€ compared to the contest. Focal Stellia eats it for breakfast. STEALTH is leagues better. So yes it's a good closed headphone nothing more.
It's overpriced as well as R10 is.
Respect your hopinion 👍 the r10 is overpriced.right.. but is also true that the r10 sound is unique and objectively in extinction.the r10 mids are unrivaled.
While for the stellia for example,for my taste I didn’t appreciate at all;in some reviews i red stellia sound is similar to utopia but when I tried it,it was very different.for 1000 now you can buy a closed back like hifiman r10d and…no,for me the 4070 is another story,same thing for liric

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #23,204 of 25,623
I had 4070. Good headphone but shouty mids. Would not pay more then 1000€ compared to the contest. Focal Stellia eats it for breakfast. STEALTH is leagues better. So yes it's a good closed headphone nothing more.
It's overpriced as well as R10 is.
You're comparing a headphone that was design for studio monitoring vs a headphone for enjoyment.
There will never be a 4070 that will be listed anywhere near 1000€ moving forward as most of them have been snapped up by recording artist.
Which is why they are rare and priced over 2000 USD.
Even though the Stellia is a great sounding headphone. They don't retain their value in the used market.
The 4070 will always maintain or appreciate in value. Same goes with the R10.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #23,205 of 25,623
You're comparing a headphone that was design for studio monitoring vs a headphone for enjoyment.
There will never be a 4070 that will be listed anywhere near 1000€ moving forward as most of them have been snapped up by recording artist.
Which is why they are rare and priced over 2000 USD.
Even though the Stellia is a great sounding headphone. They don't retain their value in the used market.
The 4070 will always maintain or appreciate in value. Same goes with the R10.
Doesn't it increase its value because it's rare? I wonder if the sound can be compared to the recent one. 4070 didn't sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back