The Stax Thread III
Jun 9, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #22,486 of 25,534
Yes, ~ 60dB of gain and rails running +/- hundreds of volts makes ES amplification a different world than any other audio component. With "normal" headphone amplifiers and preamps we can laugh at the bad design decisions & build quality of some products, and usually it will still be "ok" to use for the most part. Not so with direct driver electrostatic amps. Even very good builds & builder can have problems here. You indeed saved yourself much heartburn buying that Mjolnir KGSS Klassic! That thing will be rock solid and probably outlast us.
Ahh good to know, cheers for clarifying.

Would you say the Mjolnir KGSS KLASSIC is still an improvement over the Mjolnir Audio Tiny Triode? :)

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #22,487 of 25,534
Ahh good to know, cheers for clarifying.

Would you say the Mjolnir KGSS KLASSIC is still an improvement over the Mjolnir Audio Tiny Triode? :)
I can’t say for sure - haven’t heard the tiny triode and last time I heard a KGSS was 16 years ago! My guess is the TT will be really sweet for easy to drive Lambdas but the KGSS will do a better job controlling the omega-type headphones. Either one should be a nice amp.

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #22,488 of 25,534
I can’t say for sure - haven’t heard the tiny triode and last time I heard a KGSS was 16 years ago! My guess is the TT will be really sweet for easy to drive Lambdas but the KGSS will do a better job controlling the omega-type headphones. Either one should be a nice amp.
Good to know man, cheers. :)

Anyone else heard these amps and can compare?

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #22,489 of 25,534
Never heard any electrostatic headphones before and the first time was a blind purchase of the 007mk1 (early serial) off the Stax SRD-7mk2 running through Pass Lab INT150. This was the first headphone I felt that the sound was out of my head completely. I've felt that way about the HD800 to some degree but not as though the headphones just disappeared off my head. I have since picked up 007mk2 and ES-1. These don't have the same affect as the first listen and still from the 007mk1 and leaves me thinking I can get more out of the entire experience if I picked up a better amp combo like KGSSHV... Could anyone tell me how much of an improvement this would be going from SRD7mk2 to KGSSHV?

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #22,490 of 25,534
Never heard any electrostatic headphones before and the first time was a blind purchase of the 007mk1 (early serial) off the Stax SRD-7mk2 running through Pass Lab INT150. This was the first headphone I felt that the sound was out of my head completely. I've felt that way about the HD800 to some degree but not as though the headphones just disappeared off my head. I have since picked up 007mk2 and ES-1. These don't have the same affect as the first listen and still from the 007mk1 and leaves me thinking I can get more out of the entire experience if I picked up a better amp combo like KGSSHV... Could anyone tell me how much of an improvement this would be going from SRD7mk2 to KGSSHV?
If you're chasing the "out of your head" experience, maybe consider a Smyth Realiser or a software solution that has similar capabilities. Try googling "HRTF" "PRIR" or SOFA.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #22,492 of 25,534
Maybe I’m out of the loop - is there really software one can download that replicates a smyth realiser effect ?
I'd say the main appeal of the Realiser is that it has everything in a single box (from measuring the PRIR to decoding Atmos or DTS-X), and the head tracking feature is kind of unique. Regarding software, the obvious solution is OOYH, but other solutions include the fusion DSP plugin for volumio, the sofalizer plugin for VLC and other software that works with SOFA. You'll still need a pair of in ear microphones and a good room + speakers to record a convincing PRIR that's worth using. I've tried none of the software solutions.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #22,493 of 25,534
Is my unit refurbished stax 007tii?

I notice a yellow sticker on main board.

For some (or most) factories it indecate refurbish level red/yellow/green but idk the case Stax.

I am 1st owner. Ordered new one on Amz Japan
Screenshot_20220613-221405_Samsung Internet.jpg
20220613_223232.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #22,494 of 25,534
Not sure you will get a better experience with a dedicated amp vs the SRD7 and the pass amp

Jun 13, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #22,495 of 25,534
Not sure you will get a better experience with a dedicated amp vs the SRD7 and the pass amp
Thanks for the reply. Curiosity got the best of me so I picked up a used KGSSHV to see how that goes. In coming maybe in a week.

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #22,496 of 25,534
Thanks for the reply. Curiosity got the best of me so I picked up a used KGSSHV to see how that goes. In coming maybe in a week.
Interested to hear your experience. I haven't tried the SUT approach here yet (and I love using SUT's for MC cartridges). I've read for years that direct drive for electrostats is technically superior and I get that, but then my ears don't always agree with the measurements. I have a wonderful SS amp I love, just sitting idle right now, that would probably be great for this approach - Phison A120.2 SE.

Anyways, the KGSShv is a great amp and great match for 007. Just be aware there were a lot of versions over the years and I've heard distinctly different "voicings" between the old IXYS 500V (onboard heat sinks) to Sanyo 450V (off board) to Birgir's minis (400V I think?). The Sanyo 450V was a lot warmer sounding than the others, but maybe "too much" for a 007.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #22,497 of 25,534
Interested to hear your experience. I haven't tried the SUT approach here yet (and I love using SUT's for MC cartridges). I've read for years that direct drive for electrostats is technically superior and I get that, but then my ears don't always agree with the measurements. I have a wonderful SS amp I love, just sitting idle right now, that would probably be great for this approach - Phison A120.2 SE.

Anyways, the KGSShv is a great amp and great match for 007. Just be aware there were a lot of versions over the years and I've heard distinctly different "voicings" between the old IXYS 500V (onboard heat sinks) to Sanyo 450V (off board) to Birgir's minis (400V I think?). The Sanyo 450V was a lot warmer sounding than the others, but maybe "too much" for a 007.
I'm quite interested in seeing the difference as well. I know Pass Lab amps are on the warmer side in general and the KGSSHV that I picked up is the current build Sanyo Parts, as it was stated on the listing, with dual Pro jacks. My understanding is this amp (Sanyo version) is on the warmer side as you mentioned so we'll see how it goes from the 007mk1, mk2 to ES1a. These are not really bright headphones so it may be warm on warm - but I'll be looking for detail, imaging, sound stage, etc... as well.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #22,498 of 25,534
I'm quite interested in seeing the difference as well. I know Pass Lab amps are on the warmer side in general and the KGSSHV that I picked up is the current build Sanyo Parts, as it was stated on the listing, with dual Pro jacks. My understanding is this amp (Sanyo version) is on the warmer side as you mentioned so we'll see how it goes from the 007mk1, mk2 to ES1a. These are not really bright headphones so it may be warm on warm - but I'll be looking for detail, imaging, sound stage, etc... as well.
If anything I find the ES-1a to have even darker treble than my 007 Mk I. So yeah - warm headphones there!

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #22,499 of 25,534
You should love it. KGSSHV Sanyo is better (as in more enjoyed) than Carbon. Should complement your Pass just as well.

Jun 14, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #22,500 of 25,534
You should love it. KGSSHV Sanyo is better (as in more enjoyed) than Carbon. Should complement your Pass just as well.
That is good to hear it's a good one. Looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back