The Stax Thread III
Jun 8, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #22,471 of 25,529
Yeah Wow, is it really that bad is it? hahaha
It's been covered and is nothing new. Congrats on saving yourself the headache and on your T.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #22,472 of 25,529
Jun 9, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #22,475 of 25,529
With 007 MKII, what kind of differences will there be between KGSSHV, Carbon, and Carbon CC?

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #22,477 of 25,529
With 007 MKII, what kind of differences will there be between KGSSHV, Carbon, and Carbon CC?
It sounds too dark, too dark and too dark - unless you use proper EQ, namely the ORATORY1990 settings, THAT did it for me :wink:

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #22,478 of 25,529
It sounds too dark, too dark and too dark - unless you use proper EQ, namely the ORATORY1990 settings, THAT did it for me :wink:
Haha.. Well, would you recommend a different energizer then? Or it's all great stuff, but the headphone doesn't show much difference?

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #22,479 of 25,529
The CARBON (CC) will certainly tame it better for sure....but for me the main step was using EQ

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #22,480 of 25,529
The CARBON (CC) will certainly tame it better for sure....but for me the main step was using EQ
Does this mean that the MKII is bright/harsh? Compared to the older 007s? Or they're all kinda the same in the treble?

KGSSHV is $2750, and Carbon CC will be probably over $6000... So maybe I'll just see if I like the sound at that point, before going for a Carbon. I've only heard L300 and L300 LTD so far, on a 252S, after all. :relaxed:

Jun 9, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #22,481 of 25,529
You are getting a big improvement with a better amp, whether you apply EQ or not.
Only more power can provide better bass control, impact, dynamics and transients.
In fact, you loose quite a bit of headroom, so a more powerful amp is even more advisable, if you use EQ.

After being not very impressed last time, I have tried a few of these profiles again.
There is a free software called Mega Switcher which makes this a lot easier.
(It takes some time to input all the profiles you intend to use)

They still don't work well for me on the SR-007 Mk1 or Mk2. They have different versions and require bending the arc assembly by the user to fit adding yet more deviations, etc. They are simply tuned towards a different target that is more coloured but not necessarily "inferior sound" to the Harman target.
Just seems best to just let these play music how they like it: soft, weighty, soothing, fatigue-free, liquid vocals, diffused depth and imaging, etc.

Then there is also the matter on perceived changes in sound signature with electrostatics at differing volume levels.
There is no compensation for that, and I listen at different volumes depending on the headphones, and I feel that this becomes more uneven after EQ is applied.

Works ok on the L300LE though, decent improvement, but still don't think the sound is suited to my taste.
Surprisingly, the headphone where this EQ is most effective is the Lambda Pro (I had multiple Lambda Pros and I noticed excellent consistency between them, more so than with other vintage Staxes) but I feel that even KGSSHV runs out of steam a bit, so there is not quite enough heft to the sound. (The Lambda Pro is not as easy to drive as you might think). But as-is, it sounds really good overall.

Lambda Pro vs L300LE with EQ applied:
- L300LE has superior impact, speed, detail, imaging, and it is easier to drive.
- Lambda Pro has better transients, deeper bass, more dynamic and relaxed.

If I take the EQ off, the original tonality comes back, but there is less strain on the system, dynamics coming back. There is no free lunch.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #22,482 of 25,529
Yeah Wow, is it really that bad is it? hahaha
Yes, ~ 60dB of gain and rails running +/- hundreds of volts makes ES amplification a different world than any other audio component. With "normal" headphone amplifiers and preamps we can laugh at the bad design decisions & build quality of some products, and usually it will still be "ok" to use for the most part. Not so with direct driver electrostatic amps. Even very good builds & builder can have problems here. You indeed saved yourself much heartburn buying that Mjolnir KGSS Klassic! That thing will be rock solid and probably outlast us.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #22,483 of 25,529
You are getting a big improvement with a better amp, whether you apply EQ or not.
Only more power can provide better bass control, impact, dynamics and transients.
In fact, you loose quite a bit of headroom, so a more powerful amp is even more advisable, if you use EQ.
With 007 MKII, which energizer would you go to, above KGSSHV? Perhaps something that also works well with L700, down the road.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #22,484 of 25,529
With 007 MKII, which energizer would you go to, above KGSSHV? Perhaps something that also works well with L700, down the road.
The Carbon is an easy recommendation, it probably has the best bass impact and you may find someone in the US, who can build it for you for a reasonable cost.
But you can also look for a used Blue Hawaii SE as well as some people are upgrading further.

And also, there is that new tiny beast called the Eksonic Aeras, which has been touted as capturing the essence of the DIY T2 in a much more compact package, and it also has the build quality of a commercial product.

As far as the L700 goes, it will work, but that one probably needs EQ more and I personally find older Lambdas (particularly the normal bias version) to have a more balanced, musical and organic quality to them. (It also depends on the type of music you are listening to as the bass is certainly not the most punchy or textured but the mids are really great.)

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #22,485 of 25,529
Does this mean that the MKII is bright/harsh? Compared to the older 007s? Or they're all kinda the same in the treble?

KGSSHV is $2750, and Carbon CC will be probably over $6000... So maybe I'll just see if I like the sound at that point, before going for a Carbon. I've only heard L300 and L300 LTD so far, on a 252S, after all. :relaxed:
I mean certainly the Carbon is better but a KGSShv is going to be a huuuuge step up for you and pairs great with 007 (though I have Mk I, not 2). So if the cost difference is stressing you out, put your mind at ease and go for KGSShv. Put it this way - the KGSShv is way, way closer to a Carbon than Stax 727a was to KGSShv. The KGSShv is way closer to a Carbon than the Carbon was to T2. A KGSShv is where this electrostatic stuff starts to get really damn good. It's a little too dry to pair ideally with everything (like 009, L700), but for a 007 it's near perfect. The 007 Mk I is indeed a little dark but either a KGSShv or Carbon can bring out its sparkle IMO.

A Headamp BHSE is also a very solid amp in the same tier as Carbon IMO. It's a little warmer & less punchy and so maybe the Carbon is a little more ideal match for 007. But it pairs pretty well with ANYTHING - 009, 007, L700 for sure. And its resale value is unbeatable, especially if you buy used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back