The Stax Thread III
May 16, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #22,336 of 25,522
Well, my BHSE which I have sold shipped out today, and interestingly enough the timing worked out that my replacement amp also arrived this morning.

I had been looking for a KGSSHV Carbon, and reached out to @headinclouds who I thought had stopped doing commissioned work, and as far as I know
that is true. However, as luck would have it, he was selling his personal KGSSHV Carbon, so I ended up buying it from him.

Will report back with how it sounds.

I was under the impression only the Mjolnir is actually a Carbon and everything else is actually just based off revisions to the public kgsshv pcb ? Perhaps someone including Birgir can confirm.

From Mjolnir audio’s own site:

While on the subject of the Carbon, there is one thing I really didn’t want to address but I really have to. That’s all the other Carbon amps out there which I have nothing to do with. First some history, it is a common misconception that the Carbon was designed by Dr. Gilmore which isn’t true. It is 100% based on his work and with his input but the part that makes it a Carbon was all done by me. He even called me a bit nuts for attempting to do this. 🙂 This is important as only that first draft of the Carbon design was released to the public in the forms of the PCB’s we drew up. The Carbon has been further refined as a design but none of those changes were ever published and never will be.

The reason I felt compelled to write this is because I’m a bit tired of support requests for builds I have nothing to do with. People are unhappy with the amps or something has gone wrong and come to me for help, which I can’t give. I have frankly no idea how these amps are built as none of the builders had the decency to come to me to ask permission to use my intellectual property for financial gain. I for one don’t have a problem with others building my designs but they have to be built to my standards so that might be why nobody asked. Also any claims that my Carbon is the same as one built using the stock circuit is utter BS. They are not the same and the build quality can be shockingly bad.”

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #22,337 of 25,522
I was under the impression only the Mjolnir is actually a Carbon and everything else is actually just based off revisions to the public kgsshv pcb ? Perhaps someone including Birgir can confirm.

While on the subject of the Carbon, there is one thing I really didn’t want to address but I really have to. That’s all the other Carbon amps out there which I have nothing to do with. First some history, it is a common misconception that the Carbon was designed by Dr. Gilmore which isn’t true. It is 100% based on his work and with his input but the part that makes it a Carbon was all done by me. He even called me a bit nuts for attempting to do this. 🙂 This is important as only that first draft of the Carbon design was released to the public in the forms of the PCB’s we drew up. The Carbon has been further refined as a design but none of those changes were ever published and never will be.

The reason I felt compelled to write this is because I’m a bit tired of support requests for builds I have nothing to do with. People are unhappy with the amps or something has gone wrong and come to me for help, which I can’t give. I have frankly no idea how these amps are built as none of the builders had the decency to come to me to ask permission to use my intellectual property for financial gain. I for one don’t have a problem with others building my designs but they have to be built to my standards so that might be why nobody asked. Also any claims that my Carbon is the same as one built using the stock circuit is utter BS. They are not the same and the build quality can be shockingly bad.”
As far as I know there are differences with Birgirs builds, but the DIY carbon is still a "KGSSHV Carbon" in that It puts out a lot more power than the standard KGSSHV and uses the SiCfet's. With that being said, I'm far from an expert, and someone with more knowledge will maybe be able to comment and clarify further. Perhaps @headinclouds will comment here on the differences between Birgirs builds and his build of the DIY version.

To be honest, I'm not too worried as its doing exactly what I wanted. A bit less heat, and slightly more power than the BHSE. I have a DIYT2 on order for more all out listening, but this amp serves the purpose I bought it for well.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #22,338 of 25,522
As far as I know there are differences with Birgirs builds, but the DIY carbon is still a "KGSSHV Carbon" in that It puts out a lot more power than the standard KGSSHV and uses the SiCfet's. Perhaps @headinclouds will comment here on the differences between Birgirs builds and his build of the DIY version.

To be honest, I'm not too worried as its doing exactly what I wanted. A bit less heat, and slightly more power than the BHSE. I have a DIYT2 on order for more all out listening, but this amp serves the purpose I bought it for well.
Who is the builder of your T2

May 16, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #22,339 of 25,522
Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #22,340 of 25,522
It's best not to assume that EVERYONE knows what you know, especially when high risk is involved.
Not every Stax owner is aware that modding electrostatics is much more dangerous than modding dynamics/planars - which they may have done in the past.

You don't want someone to post in this thread "I tried the mod shortly, and now my right channel is significantly quieter than the left one...".
Pfft I’m not touching these except to replace the pads. Even with extreme care. I can’t imagine how much it would cost to have replacement drivers put in, if something borks. I personally wouldn’t risk anything getting into the driver from removing that dust cover…… these are just too pricy for me to fiddle with 😅.

May 17, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #22,341 of 25,522
Nothing new that EVERYTHING not build by Mjolnir is horribly bad or BS.
So don't give a crap about it.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #22,342 of 25,522

Can you specify where you found this on the Mjolnir website?

Nothing but respect for anyone who stakes a claim to intellectual property. That said, I prefer to know what's in my special sauce--a promise from the owner of the franchise that the sauce really is special seems inconclusive.

Would be interesting to read more commentary about differences between a Birgir Carbon vs. a Birgir Carbon CC (I thought almost no difference but maybe I'm wrong?), versus "all the other guys' Carbons".

I have not read any commentary about these differences on any forum. That's weird.

May 17, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #22,343 of 25,522
Can you specify where you found this on the Mjolnir website?

Nothing but respect for anyone who stakes a claim to intellectual property. That said, I prefer to know what's in my special sauce--a promise from the owner of the franchise that the sauce really is special seems inconclusive.

Would be interesting to read more commentary about differences between a Birgir Carbon vs. a Birgir Carbon CC (I thought almost no difference but maybe I'm wrong?), versus "all the other guys' Carbons".

I have not read any commentary about these differences on any forum. That's weird.
https://mjolnir-audio.com/sample-page-2/
It's the post dated 15.08.18

I'm sure @spritzer (Birgir / aka Mjolnir) can clarify more so, but yes, my understanding is that the Carbon is IP and built very close to the "cost" since Birgir considers his work non-profit. Other builders are maybe putting the pieces together to build the same thing, but the information is not public the way it is for the Blue Hawaii or Megatron or even now T2. The big offender is the JR audio ones which aren't even the amp they say they are : https://www.head-case.org/forums/to...fiers-aka-zero-****s-are-given-caveat-emptor/

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #22,344 of 25,522
Birgir / Mjolnir can be a bit dramatic on the other site. But there's no doubting his skills are beyond reproach, the Carbon is his baby, and his amps are bulletproof reliable. I haven't heard a "proper" Mjolnir Carbon but the non-Mjolnir KGSShv-Carbons can still be very good, at least on the level of a BHSE - better at some things, not at others. I'd be more interested in a Grounded Grid (KGSShv-Carbon with a tube output stage) these days, but the KGSShv-Carbon with 009S or 007 Mk I is quite a killer pairing. It wasn't as good a pairing with the 009 or L700 Mk I (too bright and aggressive).

It's completely Mr. Mjolnir's right to keep the advanced Carbon schematics, but Dr. Kevin Gilmore always gave his away and the DIY branch of our hobby is so vivacious and well developed thanks to him.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #22,345 of 25,522
the kgsshv-carbon is my design. started with the kgsshv, turned the 3rd and 4th stages into a single silicon carbide jfet high power output stage with cascode current source drive. hence the carbon label. the circlotron also uses the same silicon carbide jfet, and both amps can easily run 25+ma output stage current. with suitably large power supplies. many people had their hands in the grhv power supply including birgir,kerry,justin and jiml. and possibly others that i forgot about.

birgir makes all his own boards, and has made changes to parts and design elements. in addition the CC uses single strand pure silver wire hand stuffed in teflon tubing.
the hand stuffed silver wire is beyond my insanity limit.

birgir, justin,kerry, joamat and now dukei all do their own board layouts. and all of them are making modifications, sometimes extreme modifications. all of these things are of the highest quality, pick your poison.

on the other hand a couple of companies like jr audio and felista do some really evil things with obviously predicitable results. stay away from any boards on ebay that have the silkscreen layer modified into R# and C#. all the real gerbers are available and jlcpcb does a great job of making boards, delivering in a week, and at pricing that no one else seems to want to compete with.

and for the couple of amps out there with 1500uf juice can power caps, stay very far away from them.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #22,346 of 25,522
did the same mod to 007mk2, the picture shows how much garbage is infront of the driver, so i don't wonder that you have to use monster amps to push some signal out to your ears. It's similar situation when you stick wax plug in your ears. Guess what happens when you remove all that safety standard crap. Bonus the phone is much lighter and it looks gorgeous

007:1.jpg

Attachments

• 007:3.jpg
    007:3.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 0
May 17, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #22,347 of 25,522
Thanks for your statement.
Sounds a little bit different to "First some history, it is a common misconception that the Carbon was designed by Dr. Gilmore which isn’t true. It is 100% based on his work and with his input but the part that makes it a Carbon was all done by me. He even called me a bit nuts for attempting to do this. 🙂"

May 17, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #22,348 of 25,522
the kgsshv-carbon is my design. started with the kgsshv, turned the 3rd and 4th stages into a single silicon carbide jfet high power output stage with cascode current source drive. hence the carbon label. the circlotron also uses the same silicon carbide jfet, and both amps can easily run 25+ma output stage current. with suitably large power supplies. many people had their hands in the grhv power supply including birgir,kerry,justin and jiml. and possibly others that i forgot about.

birgir makes all his own boards, and has made changes to parts and design elements. in addition the CC uses single strand pure silver wire hand stuffed in teflon tubing.
the hand stuffed silver wire is beyond my insanity limit.

birgir, justin,kerry, joamat and now dukai all do their own board layouts. and all of them are making modifications, sometimes extreme modifications. all of these things are of the highest quality, pick your poison.

on the other hand a couple of companies like jr audio and felista do some really evil things with obviously predicitable results. stay away from any boards on ebay that have the silkscreen layer modified into R# and C#. all the real gerbers are available and jlcpcb does a great job of making boards, delivering in a week, and at pricing that no one else seems to want to compete with.

and for the couple of amps out there with 1500uf juice can power caps, stay very far away from them.
Thanks Kevin - this was a much needed clarification for the new generation of mafia EStat members

May 17, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #22,349 of 25,522
did the same mod to 007mk2, the picture shows how much garbage is infront of the driver, so i don't wonder that you have to use monster amps to push some signal out to your ears. It's similar situation when you stick wax plug in your ears. Guess what happens when you remove all that safety standard crap. Bonus the phone is much lighter and it looks gorgeous

007:1.jpg

I have also used my 007 Mk1 without the spring and dust screen (plus modded the ear pads) almost from the beginning - and they sounded way more open and more... immediate :).
But I never even thought about removing the metallic front plate. The protection membrane is quite exposed that way and I'd be afraid my ears would touch it. I have some spare front plates with hexagonal cutouts (from my Phenomenon mods) which have better airflow than this one with the circular cutouts - but that Stax front plate already has pretty good airflow, so I am not sure about the benefits vs risk.
The back mesh plate is also important, but might not be the best thing to touch - the front vs back airflow resistance is usually carefully aligned with the driver size & cutout dimensions, and might not work well to change the back plate. Higher airflow back plates did wonders on my Phenomenon V5, but made the V3 sound worse.

May 19, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #22,350 of 25,522
Question for the experienced estat lovers here.

Carbon CC vs T2

Is T2 just unquestionably better than any other estat amp or do things like Carbon CC/BHSE do something better?

I just wonder if it's really worth to pull the trigger on funding T2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back