The Stax Thread III
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #21,871 of 25,525
I use the Freedom Yokes on the Ark Assembly, which I've used for both the L300 and the L300 LE. That doesn't specifically answer your question, but I thought it was relevant. I will say the yokes on the Ark are just as garbage as the ones on the standard assembly. They bend in one direction, but if it gets any cross-pressure while taking them off / on, both of them snapped on me and I couldn't be happier with the Freedom Yokes.

While you're ordering it and paying the shipping, I'd suggest picking up the Padmod from them, if you want to test it out. It can add a lot more bass and comfort.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #21,876 of 25,525
Hi everyone, although my dad gave me his old SR-X Mk.III with the SRD-7 SB energizer many years ago, I still feel relatively new to the Stax party. So here is a question for you: I recently bought a Lambda Pro with SRD-1 Mk.II Pro, both of which spent most of the time since their purchase in 1994 unused in some cupboard. The Lambda Pro has a slight channel imbalance - the stereo center is somewhere between my nose and my right eye, more towards my nose actually, but definitely tilted to the right. If you imagine the volume knob of the amp being at 7 o'clock when it's completely turned down, I have to set the outer part of the knob that regulates the left channel to about the middle between 7 and 8 o'clock to center the sound.

I already tried the suggested procedures of slightly "slapping" the left earpiece with the flat hand, and plugging/unplugging the headphone with afterwards touching the plug (maybe 30-40 times so far), but without any effect - the channel imbalance remains.

Now I have the option of getting a new membrane for the left earpiece for 125 Euro (apparently an original Lambda Pro one, not one of the newer membranes, according to the guy who is offering the repair here in Germany) or just living with the channel imbalance and correcting it via the the amp. What would you do? Do you consider the channel imbalance serious enough to get it fixed? Is it likely to get worse over time? Thanks for your 2 cents on this!

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #21,877 of 25,525
So far I have not experienced imbalance getting worse over time and it seems minor from your description. But you loose more value with that, than what it costs to have it fixed, and it is just more convenient not to deal with it and getting annoyed by it. So probably worth it. Funnily enough, my hearing is imbalanced to the left, so it could be the perfect Lambda Pro for me. And I said the Lambda Pro more resilient to aging, since haven't seen this occur so far but it might have been just luck it seems. I've experienced a lot more imbalance/squealing issues with the Lambda Signature, for instance.

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #21,878 of 25,525
Hi everyone, although my dad gave me his old SR-X Mk.III with the SRD-7 SB energizer many years ago, I still feel relatively new to the Stax party. So here is a question for you: I recently bought a Lambda Pro with SRD-1 Mk.II Pro, both of which spent most of the time since their purchase in 1994 unused in some cupboard. The Lambda Pro has a slight channel imbalance - the stereo center is somewhere between my nose and my right eye, more towards my nose actually, but definitely tilted to the right. If you imagine the volume knob of the amp being at 7 o'clock when it's completely turned down, I have to set the outer part of the knob that regulates the left channel to about the middle between 7 and 8 o'clock to center the sound.

I already tried the suggested procedures of slightly "slapping" the left earpiece with the flat hand, and plugging/unplugging the headphone with afterwards touching the plug (maybe 30-40 times so far), but without any effect - the channel imbalance remains.

Now I have the option of getting a new membrane for the left earpiece for 125 Euro (apparently an original Lambda Pro one, not one of the newer membranes, according to the guy who is offering the repair here in Germany) or just living with the channel imbalance and correcting it via the the amp. What would you do? Do you consider the channel imbalance serious enough to get it fixed? Is it likely to get worse over time? Thanks for your 2 cents on this!
If you run any EQ software or can, you can recentre it easily enough on the software side

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #21,879 of 25,525
Stax made the the volume knob to enable independent L and R volume control to account for channel imbalance, which was a known/common issue with some earlier earspeakers, from what I understand.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #21,880 of 25,525
Stax made the the volume knob to enable independent L and R volume control to account for channel imbalance, which was a known/common issue with some earlier earspeakers, from what I understand.
There's also pots inside that can be adjusted. Suggest that to be done by a pro, multi-meter etc is required. I think Spritzer; maybe Kevin G had some instructions somewhere on the web; bias circuit.
I have the srm mk1 /pro, one thing I have noticed is that after being unplugged for days it seems to take the drivers some time (10 minutes) to become stable. Channel balance shifts back to correct. Until then I just adjust as I go. I leave them plugged in all the time, amp off. When I power them back on I found that the balance has stayed. It reminds me of tube amps becoming stable after a warm up. This is with the 407s and to some degree the original normal bias. I'm sure the mkIIIs are wonderful but not in the way a more modern Stax would sound. The Pro's are relatively modern and wonderful. I have some sr-5s and toss them on now and then... they still are magical.

I'd suggest using the balance control and just enjoy them. If it shifts constantly well, maybe that should be looked at.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #21,881 of 25,525
Thanks for all your replies so far. I just phoned the man who would do the repair, and he said it might be that renewing the membrane on the left side might in the end result in an imbalance again, as then the right side might be quieter. No way to say before, so optimally both membranes would have to be renewed - which of course doubles the cost. At the moment, this seems a bit over the top to me, just to get rid of a relatively slight imbalance...

Any more tipps on how this could be resolved otherwise?

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #21,882 of 25,525
Thanks for all your replies so far. I just phoned the man who would do the repair, and he said it might be that renewing the membrane on the left side might in the end result in an imbalance again, as then the right side might be quieter. No way to say before, so optimally both membranes would have to be renewed - which of course doubles the cost. At the moment, this seems a bit over the top to me, just to get rid of a relatively slight imbalance...

EQ. Just nudge until its centred, no other "eq-ing", just fix the balance.

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #21,883 of 25,525

LOL, I shipped my SR009 back to japan for service due to imbalance (what a big hassle that was), When they received them, there was no imbalance, so they just cleaned them and sent them back. When I got them, sure enough the imbalance was gone. So, apparently, sending your earspeakers for a vacation to Japan works to solve imbalance. Maybe the pressure change going up in an airplane? YMMV:jecklinsmile:

I was going to trigger your OCD by mentioning the need to maybe change both membranes but you beat me to it.... :)
But even then it is not guaranteed to "fix" the issue.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #21,884 of 25,525

You said your amp has inner and outer volume rings, which is kinda unusual these days.

I don't know why that's not the answer. At least for now.

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #21,885 of 25,525
LOL, I shipped my SR009 back to japan for service due to imbalance (what a big hassle that was), When they received them, there was no imbalance, so they just cleaned them and sent them back. When I got them, sure enough the imbalance was gone. So, apparently, sending your earspeakers for a vacation to Japan works to solve imbalance. Maybe the pressure change going up in an airplane? YMMV:jecklinsmile:

I was going to trigger your OCD by mentioning the need to maybe change both membranes but you beat me to it.... :)
But even then it is not guaranteed to "fix" the issue.

You know what, I actually suspect that something like that may have caused the channel imbalance in my case as well! The seller swears that the headphones were working perfectly, and they have been professionally cleaned and got new earpads just last May. Either the pressure change or the headphones being packed in a plastic bag and some kind of charge that built up when it was moving around in the parcel...

You said your amp has inner and outer volume rings, which is kinda unusual these days.

I don't know why that's not the answer. At least for now.

It is the answer, I'll just stop worrying about it now and enjoy the sound instead! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back