The Stax Thread III
Mar 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #21,886 of 25,604
The Mjolnir KGSSHV arrived today!
Am doing the initial audition with the SR-L500 Mk.2.
Compared to the Mjolnir SRD-7 + power amp (Dussun T6), the sound with the KGSSHV is (i) more open/transparent, (ii) more expansive along all three axes, (iii) more detailed, (iv) livelier/quicker, (v) with improved imaging. It is a touch brighter, though, but not in a bothersome/strident way. It's like having my ears cleaned.
In short: "positively transformational" across the board.
Undoubtedly, the best "Stax" investment I have made so far.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #21,888 of 25,604
Congrats! You got some humming noise based on a ground / earth loop?

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #21,889 of 25,604
I experienced some crazy humming noises (just on the one side of the headphone) with my brand new D10, touching the source or the portable amp would make it go. Stax swapped for another new unit which suffered from the same issue, just less so. I grounded the wires in my listening room and never had any such issues thereafter

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #21,890 of 25,604
The outlet in current use is ungrounded (old house with old wiring). I tried a 3- to 2-prong adapter and screwed the grounding tab to the outlet, but that didn't help, either.

Another option is to set-up a listening station in a different room downstairs (with grounded outlets), which might be a good "Lenten" thing to do because it would definitely curb/curtail my Stax head time. : )

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #21,891 of 25,604
Will try the SR-007 Mk.1. I think the KGSSHV might be "made-to-order" for those.

. . . update . . .
The SR-007 Mk.1 now sound "complete": LARGE and teeming with detail.
Overall, though, I would opine that the KGSSHV, for me, has a more signal effect on the Lambdas. The more time I spend with them, the more I like the SR-L500 Mk.2.
(Listening to, and very much enjoying with the Lambdas, "Origin", by Gary burton and Pat Metheny atm.)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #21,892 of 25,604
An old trick is to use several grounding wires and in a star-like fashion ground all used equipment (Player, Streamer, DAC, Amp etc.) to only one earthing point, a room heater (if you have warm water heaters)

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #21,894 of 25,604
If you look at e*ay and search for GROUND EARTH WIRE you’ll find suitable ones

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #21,895 of 25,604
The outlet in current use is ungrounded (old house with old wiring). I tried a 3- to 2-prong adapter and screwed the grounding tab to the outlet, but that didn't help, either.

Another option is to set-up a listening station in a different room downstairs (with grounded outlets), which might be a good "Lenten" thing to do because it would definitely curb/curtail my Stax head time. : )
Sometimes the ground on the outlets is not complete due to either using plastic boxes, or not running a ground from the conduit to earth, or a "break" in the conduit due to alterations or oversite during renovations. The only way to "fix" it is to run a ground wire from earth to the outlets/or circuit of outlets in question. If you have an outlet with known good ground try running a cord from it into this room and see if helps. Or try running a ground wire from the suspect device out to a known good ground. Key here is to get a known good ground to start isolating where the issue is coming from. Or try the grounding strat that @KDS315 suggested.

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #21,899 of 25,604
If that was tubes, I would understand that, they need "burn in". Transistors like your KGSSHV usually don't need that that much, but some people swear a several hours "burn in" is needed. Let it run for quite a few hours and see what happens....

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #21,900 of 25,604
I got my Mjolnir SR-006t in on Monday, using it with an ESP/95X.
I haven't listened to a tube amp in a long time before this but I'm very pleased with the purchase. The sound is much fuller and more authoritative but maintains a lot of the ethereal nature unique to electrostats. I would liken it to upgrading from the AGD NFB-10SE to the D27 (which I've discovered can only run RCA or balanced XLR at one time, not both) and suddenly hearing everything new.
Spritzer tells me this amp is meant to pair well with the SR-007 which has me excited for another estat upgrade down the road. I have noticed that the amp runs hot after an hour or so, however, but I imagine that's normal with tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back