The Stax Thread III
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #20,687 of 25,505
He charges around 2500$~ and the parts cost way less than that.

His business practices is obviously a bit sketchy. I agree with that. I shared the internals of the amp to know if someone can recognize any cheap/dodgy parts inside. I don't trust JR, however myheadfi seemed to me as a trustable guy. The Carbons JR used to build before myheadfi is different than what he is doing now also. The internals of his previous Carbons are different. Not sure, how much of it translates to improvements though. I'll remain skeptical about JR.
Yes that's the myheadfi price. But if you buy it taobao, directly from JR, it's much less than that. Taobao is an online market place in China. Myheadfi gives you an english speaking customer service experience, exports the amp professionally (with a warranty) and they are reliable if something goes wrong. And they are entitled to a profit. But the amp sells in china for less than the cost of the specified parts. JR Audio has changed designs just like every other carbon builder. My only point is that he is using knock off parts. So it will probably sound ok for awhile but likely fail much earlier than if you bought it from a builder using the better quality parts.

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #20,689 of 25,505
I remember I paid 15000dkk for the Carbon with the myheadfi markup, the taobao price was 12.300 dkk. (danish kroner). I roughly calculated the total cost of components at that time, it was about 1300$. (9100dkk~). The amp case & interconnect sockets are not included in this price.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #20,690 of 25,505
Hey guys, hope this is the right place to ask these questions.
With Audeze announcing their first estat tomorrow it's time to get ny stax amplification knowledge on track.

So I was wondering, how well does a speakeramp + energizer combo compete with dedicated estat amps?

I.e. Bakoon 13R + Woo Wee vs whatever estat amp plays in the same price Segment.

Also, what is the best energizer for those already having great speaker amps?

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #20,691 of 25,505
Lundahl energizers are better than srd7's(less grainy treble, better detail overall), you should build one, or find someone who can build one for you.

Energizer + speaker amp setups can't get as detailed as totl direct drive solutions. It's a price efficient solution to drive electrostatics with enough current.

Woo wee has no ballast resistors on its output and can damage your headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #20,692 of 25,505
Lundahl energizers are better than srd7's(less grainy treble, better detail overall), you should build one, or find someone who can build one for you.

Energizer + speaker amp setups can't get as detailed as totl direct drive solutions. It's a price efficient solution to drive electrostatics with enough current.

Are there some "non diy" Lundahl Energizers available?

Or to put it differently, can you recommend an Energizer I can use with my speakeramp to get me started? (Like what's the best if those readily available?)

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #20,695 of 25,505
my rough estimate on the parts cost for a fancy-enough-to-me carbon was: amp section $200, power supply section $200, power transformer $100, volume control/ wiring/connectors $200, case/heatsink/hardware $250. Then add the PCB cost. PCB cost seems to be around $1/square-inch for small batch production. so about $1.1k total.

I think the amp section is simple enough that somebody ought to offer a point-to-point all-silver-wire premium option. power supply section can still do standard PCB.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #20,696 of 25,505

Did you ever tried the iFi Pro iESL energizer with a very good power amplifier? This solution beats a dedicated Stax amp like a Stax SRM-727 II paried with my Stax SR-009S easily.

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #20,698 of 25,505
Have fun with that😌
The first photo looks like Kerry's T2 - so perhaps not the one being sold. If so then right away a reason to stay away. If this is the case then posting photos of someone else's work and trying to pass it off as yours is never a good idea.
Let's not even talk about the lethal voltages running around inside which can kill you if the unit is not properly assembled

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #20,699 of 25,505
Did you ever tried the iFi Pro iESL energizer with a very good power amplifier? This solution beats a dedicated Stax amp like a Stax SRM-727 II paried with my Stax SR-009S easily.
Yes, because 727 isn't a good amp. (unless modded) It is quite well documented what kind of aberrations transformers introduce to signals if they are used at any amplification stage after the input stage. However, I said many times in these forums that a good amp + energizer combo is better than all Stax amps I've ever heard.

It is not even his T2 build as far as I know. There is a guy in Vietnam, builds T2 for 5400 euros. Nowadays, from what I gathered, he is the guy people go for T2 builds. Not sure how good he is, I just know few people who got their T2's from that guy. Of course they liked their T2's, who doesn't like something they paid 5000+ euros for.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #20,700 of 25,505
Yes, because 727 isn't a good amp. (unless modded) It is quite well documented what kind of aberrations transformers introduce to signals if they are used at any amplification stage after the input stage. However, I said many times in these forums that a good amp + energizer combo is better than all Stax amps I've ever heard.
Really? iFi Pro iESL is better then 717? They cost the same used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back