The Stax Thread III
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #20,701 of 25,570
From my perspective:
I used to have the SRD-7 + random class D 100w amp paring with my O2
When the energizer was broken. I purchased the SRM-727A modded.

Now for the sound, from my memory. The energizer combo gives me more dynamic and 3D sound
And 727A gives me more details.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #20,703 of 25,570
you need a speaker amp too. Energizers just convert high current, low voltage signal to high voltage, low current signal.
I have an old Yamaha MX-600U. Still sounds good with BW607. Will it be a good match with iFi?

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #20,705 of 25,570
JR taobao price doesn't seem attractive at all.
They list the BHSE for 25k RMB that is about $4k USD. The ad did not brag about RK50 or RK40 or DACT for volume control so assume it is just the basic blue alps. And no tube was included in the price.

the recent stuff out of China disappoints me, they either push the "cost-down" game too far (generic products) or are trying to over-milk the mid/higher end market.

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #20,706 of 25,570
If I would like to save money for the end-game amp for general stats paring (Omega, O2, 009, Sigma) and especially O2(Because now I have only O2 and Koss ESP 95X, might get other cans)

Which one is better between KGSSHV Carbon or BHSE? (exclude T2 which is difficult to find)

Edit: found a guy in Singapore building mini T2 DIY https://www.carousell.sg/p/grounded-grid-amplifier-for-stax-kgsshv-carbon-and-mini-t2-1033504824

https://www.carousell.sg/p/grounded-grid-kgsshv-carbon-blue-hawaii-mini-t2-for-stax-1016969750/

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #20,707 of 25,570
If I would like to save money for the end-game amp for general stats paring (Omega, O2, 009, Sigma) (exclude T2 which is difficult to find)

Which one is better between KGSSHV Carbon or BHSE?
It’s all preference

buy whichever you can get your hands on the cheapest used since you’re looking to save money

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #20,708 of 25,570
Please do a review / impression and let us know how good it is.
I'm not much of a gambler, so I don't want to sink in 7k USD to see if it's any good.

Have fun with that😌
The first photo looks like Kerry's T2 - so perhaps not the one being sold. If so then right away a reason to stay away. If this is the case then posting photos of someone else's work and trying to pass it off as yours is never a good idea.
Let's not even talk about the lethal voltages running around inside which can kill you if the unit is not properly assembled
Yes they stole that photo, been confirm it Kerry build.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #20,710 of 25,570

the ad mentioned "build service",
"
[Just an interest check]
I am considering to offer building services for...

"

the price is probably just labor, not including parts.

Singapore is a very high cost location, I don't think it is a place to do production, except for full automation stuff such as semiconductor chips.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #20,711 of 25,570
Absolutely yes we need someone with money to burn and compare Kerry or any renowned t2 builder to compare to this BEAST...
Let the stupid people lose their money.

I'm retired.

LMAO

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #20,713 of 25,570
It’s all preference

buy whichever you can get your hands on the cheapest used since you’re looking to save money
Do you think that 007 or 009 can compete with Susvara?

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #20,714 of 25,570
Try Susvara filter.
I tried the Susvara and HE90 filters and compared to the SR-009 filter.

Susvara filter:

Less bass and much brighter. Vocals sound shouty and highs are near strident at times. I am extremely sensitive to sibilance, so I am just not a fan of this tonality. The SR-007's are the most non-fatiguing headphones I've heard, but the Susvara filter makes them painful to listen to.

HE90 filter:

Somewhere between the Susvara and SR-009 filters. I originally thought the HE90 filter was brighter, but I later determined this not to be the case. Upper mids are more emphasized while there is less weight and body to the lower midrange. This makes vocals sound thinner and tilts pitch upward. Bass is practically the same as SR-009 filter. Listening fatigue began to set in as vocals sounded shouty at times.

My order of preference:

1) SR-009
2) HE90
3) SR-007
4) No filter
5) Susvara

The SR-009 filter is still my favorite by quite a margin. It just adds this palpable body to vocals and instruments. Everything sounds incredibly fleshed out and organic. This is a quality often attributed to planars, and something I did like when I owned the Audeze LCD-2. There are hundreds of more filters to try (unlikely I will try them all), but for now I am absolutely loving the SR-009 filter. I've never enjoyed my system more than I am now.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #20,715 of 25,570
Hi guys, been enjoying all the info in this thread but am confused re THE last posts regarding "filter". Sorry I don't know what you mean by all the different filters.
I'm using tablet for streaming Tidal and Qobuz via Singxer SU-6 thru Denafrips Terminator directly into KGSSHV using SR-L700 (Pro) and SR-5 Gold (Std).
Trying to decide between SR-009 or SR-007.
Thanks! Regards, Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back