The Stax Thread III
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #20,221 of 25,558
I think it will work just the same. I'm in Europe and I used Pritt Poster Buddies "Haftpunkte - Multi Fix", which worked well:
1619630292577.png
There are some Pritt products available here, like their silicone glue, glue bars, but not the poster buddies. I guess I'll have to go for the UHU Patafix, either the white ones, or the new Pro Power, which are coloured black.
The Pro Power ones seem interesting. If a bit of the material leaks from the seams, it won't be easily noticed as it's the same colour as the earcups.
Every glue pad can hold up to 3 kilograms. There's a chance that a local store has them in stock. Since I still can't use my stax combo, I might try to do the mod until that blasted transformer arrives.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #20,222 of 25,558
is it low bias or pro bias? I have a low bias sigma with the srd 7.I have no points of comparison with the other stax because they are my first estats.Last night I listened to Kenny barron in a trio during a concert and certe the high is emulated but there were a lot of impacts in the low.superb on the double bass solos with an immense sound scene. I’d like a little more detail, that would be great...
yeah they're normal bias - the original SR-sigmas. i'm also powering them out of an SRD-7/SB which is probably underpowering them compared to a proper SRD-7mk2 or KGSSHV with normal bias outputs. curious to see if it improves with better power.

i tried powering it with a relatively low power 4WPC elekit class A tube amp and a beefy 90WPC accuphase class AB solid state amp and greatly preferred the accuphase - fuller midrange and boomier bass. pretty interesting given that for both amps i can't turn up the preamp very high so volume isn't a concern but maybe output current or slew rate is the issue?

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #20,223 of 25,558
yeah they're normal bias - the original SR-sigmas. i'm also powering them out of an SRD-7/SB which is probably underpowering them compared to a proper SRD-7mk2 or KGSSHV with normal bias outputs. curious to see if it improves with better power.

i tried powering it with a relatively low power 4WPC elekit class A tube amp and a beefy 90WPC accuphase class AB solid state amp and greatly preferred the accuphase - fuller midrange and boomier bass. pretty interesting given that for both amps i can't turn up the preamp very high so volume isn't a concern but maybe output current or slew rate is the issue?
I have the same problem with my amps that have the same power.I think it must come from the output current.
May I ask you the price you paid for this system?

May 1, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #20,226 of 25,558
I'm thinking of upgrading my Stax amp.
Please can anyone confirm....?
Are Stax Lambda headphones with the 5 Pin Pro bias all fully interchangeable with any of the various Stax amps with the same socket?
(The specs of some of the amps suggest that they might have different bias voltages, and I don't want to damage my headphones.)
Thank you.

May 1, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #20,228 of 25,558
I'm interested in getting a pair of SR-007 and a Mjolnir srd-7 to drive them. Dac wise I am considering RME ADI-2 or the Bifrost 2. Which one of those would pair better, or are there any other recommendations?

May 1, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #20,229 of 25,558
I'm interested in getting a pair of SR-007 and a Mjolnir srd-7 to drive them. Dac wise I am considering RME ADI-2 or the Bifrost 2. Which one of those would pair better, or are there any other recommendations?
Have you ever considered the Denafrips Ares II? It's comparable to the Bifrost 2, or more like it's in-between the BF2 and the Gungnir MB. They are multivoltage and support DSD1024.
I ordered one along with high quality XLR cables, it's probably gonna arrive in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #20,230 of 25,558
Have you even considered the Denafrips Ares II? It's comparable to the Bifrost 2, or more like it's in-between the BF2 and the Gungnir MB. They are multivoltage and support DSD1024.
I ordered one along with high quality XLR cables, it's probably gonna arrive in a couple of weeks.
I wasn’t aware of it until about ten mins ago when some guys started talking about. Yh, also looking at that and the Prism Callia now as well.

May 1, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #20,231 of 25,558
I wasn’t aware of it until about ten mins ago when some guys started talking about. Yh, also looking at that and the Prism Callia now as well.
Sorry, I wanted to say "have you ever". Even sounds a bit rude. I also considered the ADI 2. Heck, I even found an official dealer in my country. It's all good, but it's not really what I'm looking for right now (maybe in the near future). The Callia looks nice, but it's like 2000 yank dollars more than the Ares II. If you are from England, you can also consider what Chord offers.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #20,232 of 25,558
Sorry, I wanted to say "have you ever". Even sounds a bit rude. I also considered the ADI 2. Heck, I even found an official dealer in my country. It's all good, but it's not really what I'm looking for right not (maybe in the near future). The Callia looks nice, but it's like 2000 yank dollars more than the Ares II. If you are from England, you can also consider what Chord offers.
I managed to find a Callia for an absolute steal at 990 which puts it at a much more similar price to the Ares II. Location wise I am only here temporarily, will be going to the states in September.

May 1, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #20,233 of 25,558
I managed to find a Callia for an absolute steal at 990 which puts it at a much more similar price to the Ares II. Location wise I am only here temporarily, will be going to the states in September.
990 pounds or 990 dollars? In any case, that's quite the deal. My Ares II is, definitely, gonna be a huge improvement over my modest Schiit Modi 2, and it was the best I could afford right now.

May 2, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #20,234 of 25,558
Evening all. I am pretty new to the Stax world after buying a pair of SR-Lambda/SRD-7 (yes, the antiques from the '80s) a few months ago. Unfortunately, they've somewhat languished in my living room system. Sure, I had an amp there to drive them, but no chair to sit in. Recently several things have changed and now they're getting used frequently. First, my missus bought new furniture for one room and rearranged another. So now I have a corner in one room suitable for head phone enjoyment. I was also able to treat myself to another amp for my new head phone corner, a Schiit Aegir.

I listened using the analog output from my DAP -> Aegir -> SRD-7/ SR-Lambda for a week or two. My only real complaint was bass weight. I'd had that trouble before in my bedroom system. Since that gear doesn't get as much use as it should, I pirated my DAC and brought it out front as well.

So now I am currently enjoying the USB out from my DAP -> Bifrost I multi-bit -> Sys -> SRD-7/ SR-Lambda. As with my bed room system, the Bifrost provides a solid foundation for the music. Bass is deep and punchy and solid. Extreme highs are always lightning fast with my SR-Lambda, but they can also be sweet and delicate, Bifrost allows that to happen.

As somebody recently posted, my Aegir is loafing driving my SR-Lambdas, I keep the volume of the Sys around 9:00 most of the time. As the other poster mused, I agree having the current delivery capability and the head room are the important things.

I am thoroughly enjoying this introduction to electrostatic head phones. I also get to "scratch and itch" I've had since high school when these particular head phones were introduced. It's all good.

May 2, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #20,235 of 25,558
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread: can anyone point me to a tech who can repair Stax? I also have a pair of SR-40 with a scratchy connection in the right ear piece. I might attempt to resolder the connection if I knew how to disassemble them, but I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back