The Stax Thread III
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #20,191 of 25,560
stax only uses semiconductors made (diffused) in japan.
just about all stax solid state electrostatic amplifiers use low side npn current sources.
The T2 used a cascode pnp/npn high side current source. But this requires a load current of 12ma or more to work right. And parts that no longer exist.
The only suitable high side current source today that is >700 volts and works at 5ma is made by ixys (littelfuse)
There are no pnp transistors in current production >700v. Which was the only way to do 5ma.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #20,192 of 25,560
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #20,195 of 25,560
hello
the verum one beats the venerable sigma + srd7,even if the latter is very pleasant.do you think a srs 3030 can make me climb a level or should i opt for a higher level system?
thanks
It really depends what you want to achieve. I had the srs-3030 system and thought it was incredibly “good” but the 007 is far “better”. Hard to tell what you mean by a higher level system, there are many variables that also depend on your taste.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #20,197 of 25,560
Hello all, I just join the ESTAT's STAX game :D

I first got the Nectar Sound The Hive, and now wanted to try STAX, so I got me the L700 MKII and, I am super happy with the L700 so far!
Could you share some comparisons of the L700 versus the Hive? Thanks

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #20,198 of 25,560
I'm still waiting for my step down transformer. The maker promised that it would be ready this week.
Oh, and I ordered a Denafrips Ares II and a pair of Oyaide Neo D+ class B (aka "Oyaide green") XLR-XLR cables.
I already got the Oyaide green USB cable to match the XLR cables.
The importer tried to help, but gave me a 230 to 120v transformer, it won't work reliably (it might, but I'm afraid that it's playing the russian roulette, I won't gamble on the life of my Stax amp). They didn't even advice me that they sent that big useless block. Luckily, they promised to pay for what the step-down transformer costed me.
I really, really hope everything will worth all the effort or else I won't think twice in sell everything (maybe except the Ares II, provide it will also be a great match for with my HD800S and tube amp).

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #20,199 of 25,560
It really depends what you want to achieve. I had the srs-3030 system and thought it was incredibly “good” but the 007 is far “better”. Hard to tell what you mean by a higher level system, there are many variables that also depend on your taste.

also depends on what you like about the verum one better than the sigma+srd7
in fact i find the verum more neutral,more detailed,more dynamic than the sigma.
the stax system is more delicat which is very relaxing.
i have to do a listening session in may with a person who makes electrostatic system whose system is said to be at least as good as a stax system with sr 007.
you tell me juansan a sr 007 is far better than a srs 3030.so i will wait this listen to decide
thank you for your answers

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #20,201 of 25,560
in fact i find the verum more neutral,more detailed,more dynamic than the sigma.
i have to do a listening session in may with a person who makes electrostatic system whose system is said to be at least as good as a stax system with sr 007.
you tell me juansan a sr 007 is far better than a srs 3030.so i will wait this listen to decide
Make sure it is amplified correctly though. The 007 (mk2) is quite amplifier dependent and can sound relatively “dull” and “flabby” if it isn’t powered correctly.

Also make a note of the version of the 007 and any modifications it will have had (such as Spritzer/Birgir blu-tac modification or ear pad modifications) as different versions sound quite different.

finally do keep in mind that these are all relative to your own personal tastes. When i had the 3030 system it completely blew me away and nothing I had heard previously could touch it. At the time I considered it end game.

if you do have the opportunity to “try before you buy” your in an excellent position so make the most of it.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #20,202 of 25,560
Make sure it is amplified correctly though. The 007 (mk2) is quite amplifier dependent and can sound relatively “dull” and “flabby” if it isn’t powered correctly.

Also make a note of the version of the 007 and any modifications it will have had (such as Spritzer/Birgir blu-tac modification or ear pad modifications) as different versions sound quite different.

finally do keep in mind that these are all relative to your own personal tastes. When i had the 3030 system it completely blew me away and nothing I had heard previously could touch it. At the time I considered it end game.

if you do have the opportunity to “try before you buy” your in an excellent position so make the most of it.
thank you juansan
i would not risk buying without listening,especially for such large sums
i wish you a nice weekend

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #20,204 of 25,560
Stax announced today the successor of the 353X:

The SRM-400S.
Among others, a newly developed transformer reduces energy consumption and is claimed to improve the audio quality.
The 400S costs 121000 ¥ and will be available after 13. May.
I wonder why they changed the moniker from 500 (for the T) to 400 for the S instead of keeping the same numbering as per the 700. Not that it matters, but just surprised.

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #20,205 of 25,560
I think the nature of the Sigma is that it takes the Stax signature sound (fast, detailed, neutral) and wraps it in a warm fuzzy blanket, rounding off the sub-bass (compared to Blutak mod) and the shimmery treble. To your point, it's more relaxing and laid back. But don't let that color your judgment of the non-Sigma models. I haven't heard the Verum 1, but compared to an LCD2 or a Sundara (which I think are in the ballpark of a Verum) the Stax is more dynamic, fast, and neutral (ie, it does it across the sound spectrum and is not colored in any particular area more than others).

I'm just saying don't let the Sigma vs Verum stand in for the Stax vs Verum competition. And you can get that same experience without an 007, look for a L300 or a 404 or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back